Sprayberry Counseling Newsletter
Midyear Transcripts are Ready to Order
Seniors! If your college is asking for a Midyear transcript or Midyear report you MUST follow the same directions you used previously to order an official transcript. Follow the instructions on our flyer posted here to order your official transcript for the first time or for your Midyear. Students must remember to follow each step so counselors are able to send the documents when they are ready. Please note- no transcripts can be sent without the student completing their transcript request card in the counseling office.
Summer Opportunity for Juniors
High school juniors: The application is now open for the QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program! Awards include full scholarships to college summer programs, essay feedback, $1,000 awards, and more. Visit questbridge.org to learn more.
Scholarship Opportunity for Seniors
If you are a senior who will be enrolling in a Georgia college to pursue a degree in the healthcare profession please go to Naviance to find the Wellstar Cobb Hospital Council on Volunteer Services Scholarship application.
To be eligible for Wellstar Cobb Hospital 2023 Council on Volunteer Services (COVS) Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be pursuing a degree or certificate in the healthcare profession.
2. Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
3. Applicant must submit an OFFICIAL high school and/or college transcript and available aptitude and achievement tests.
4. Applicant must be enrolled or submit OFFICIAL proof of acceptance (if not currently enrolled) from the educational institution you will be attending in the State of Georgia.
5. Applicant must be a resident of Cobb County, Georgia or volunteer/be employed at Wellstar Cobb Hospital or have a parent who is employed at Wellstar Cobb Hospital.
6. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident of the U.S. (proof of a permanent visa will be required at the time of the interview).
Summer Opportunity for Freshmen
Any 9th graders who might be interested in a free STEM program this summer should look into SMASH! Students get to spend a few weeks on Spelman's campus learning more about computer science and other STEM subjects.
Applications are open now at www.smash.org/apply and our deadline is March 1st!
Vaping Prevention and Intervention
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Tobacco Products has created classroom resources to prevent vaping among middle and high school students. These cross-curricular vaping prevention resources include lesson plans, activities, infographics, and videos that help teens learn about the dangers of e-cigarette use. Click here to access the information.
Important Notice for Seniors!
All Georgia high Schools are required to report transcript records for Seniors to GSFC for the purpose of determining academic eligibility for HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship. Sprayberry Seniors will have a Preliminary Transcript Record submitted and verified by February 15th, 2023.
What is the significance of a Preliminary Transcript Record?
- Current Seniors can access their HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship preliminary eligibility as they plan for college admissions and paying for college.
- HOPE eligible colleges may use the preliminary eligibility to determine estimated awards for the students.
Seniors need to make sure they have submitted their Social Security Number (SSN) to Mrs. Wagner, the counseling clerk, in the lobby of the counseling office as soon as possible. High schools that submit transcript records without a Social Security Number (SSN) to GSFC will result in:
- No HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility determined for the students.
- Students will not be able to check their HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility in their GAfutures account.
- The colleges will not be able to view the student’s scholarship eligibility for estimated awards.
HAS YOUR SENIOR COMPLETED THE FAFSA?
If not, our Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) rep, Marcus Hilliard, provided helpful guides for you and your senior to navigate the FAFSA completion process (see below). Mr. Hilliard is very knowledgeable about the HOPE and Zell Miller scholarship program, the FAFSA, the cost of attendance for college, the GAfutures website, and more. If you have specific questions regarding your student's situation, you can schedule a 30-minute phone consultation with Mr. Hilliard by clicking HERE.
SAT & ACT Wavier Information and Test Dates
To qualify for a fee waiver students must meet one of the qualifications listed in the ACT and SAT waiver information linked on the names. If your student receives free or reduced lunch they qualify and need to speak with Mrs. Wagner for their waivers.
If you need to apply for Free or Reduced Lunch you can do so on county website HERE
Please provide a copy of your confirmation form from the county for free or reduced lunch or your other qualifying documentation to receive the SAT/ACT waiver to Mrs. Wagner, the counseling clerk.
** You will receive one SAT waiver which is good for two tests and one ACT waiver which is good for four tests. Be sure to reserve at least one SAT test and one ACT test for your Senior year.**
Once you take the SAT using a waiver, you may receive up to 4 college application fee waivers for your senior year on your College Board account.
Counseling Case Load for the 2022-2023 School Year
A- Da- Mrs. Lea Ponticelli, Department Chair
De-I- Mrs. Misty Hawk
J- Ni- Ms. Crystal Jordan
No-Ro- Ms. Annie Soltis
Ru-Z, and KSU & Chatt Tech Dual Enrollment- Dr. Tammy White
Counseling Support Staff
Marilyn Wagner, Counseling Clerk
Theresa Morales, Registrar
connect with us: