Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of December 14, 2015
Want access to eBooks and audiobooks? Give Overdrive a try!
How do you access Overdrive?
- Click here to go to the district's Overdrive site. (Make sure you're using Chrome or Firefox as your browser.)
- Select "All Greenville County School users" on the sign-in screen.
- Use your district login credentials. (Students and staff use the same usernames and passwords that they have for Google Drive, email, etc.)
- Search for the books you want. Ebooks will have a small book icon in the corner of each cover, and audiobooks will have headphone icons. If the book is available for checkout, the icon will be black.
- Once you've chosen a book, click on borrow, and you will be directed to your next steps.
- If you've chosen an eBook, you can download to your Kindle or Kindle app, download an ePub file to your computer, or read directly in your browser. With audiobooks, you can download the audio files to your device of choice.
- Use the "Help" button if you need any assistance with Overdrive.
Each book can be checked out for two weeks, and users can checkout up to ten books at a time. There's also a free Overdrive app available for Android and iOS devices.
Let's make the most of this wonderful service!
It's not too late to join the Battle of the Books team!
If you want to participate in Battle of the Books, please complete this form and return it to Ms. Knight. Please have a parent sign this form to be sure that you both understand what is involved. If you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the library blog for more information on this program.
We will have practices on Tuesdays after school from 2:30 until 3:00, and Wednesday mornings before school from 7:30 -7:55. We will only have afternoon practices in December, and we’ll add morning practices in January. Our next practice is December 15th. Parents should pick up team members promptly at 3:00.
The BoB Regional competition will be held at Bell's Crossing Elementary on Tuesday, March 15th, at 6pm. BoB Finals will be on Tuesday, March 22nd, 6pm, at Pelham Road Elementary.
2nd Quarter Reading Challenge
List books (with page numbers) as you complete them. Add your total number of pages read during the 2nd quarter. *Please print clearly and total your pages at the end!*
If you need extra reading logs, click here.
Book of the Week: The Boy on the Porch
The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech is a nominee for the 15-16 South Carolina Children's Book Award.
One day, John and Marta step outside, and they find a boy asleep on their porch. They don’t know why he is there or who left him. The boy, Jacob, doesn’t speak, so John and Marta don’t know where he’s from, who his family is, why they were chosen to care for him, or when someone will return for the boy. So they care for him as best they can.
John and Marta grow rather attached to Jacob. They love him as if he were their own…and Jacob seems happy with them. He still doesn’t speak, but he makes music, he paints, he enjoys time with the couple’s animals, and he communicates in his own way. He thrives in this young couple’s care.
But John and Marta are always waiting for someone to return for this boy they’ve grown to love…and one day, it happens. The couple doesn’t want to say good-bye to Jacob, but they seem to have no choice. Even when Jacob leaves, they let him know that he is welcome to return at any time.
As days go by, John and Marta miss Jacob, and they look for ways to help other children who need special care. They open their home and their hearts to kids who need a little extra love, and they always remember the boy who started them on this journey. And they hope that one day, their beloved Jacob, the boy on the porch, will return to them once again.
Are you reading the SC Book Award nominees?
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading, and check out the videos below for a quick glimpse at this year's nominees!
Dates to Remember:
- December 14-18 - PTA Holiday Shop
- December 14 - PTA meeting & 2nd Grade Play, 6:30pm
- December 15 - Chorus Holiday Concert, 6:30pm
- December 18 - Spirit Day
- December 19-January 3 - Winter Break
- January 8 - Spirit Day
- January 11 - SIC meeting, 7:30am; Makerspace Monday