2017-18 WILDCAT NEWSLETTER vol. 35
News and Information for the Guest Elementary Community
I want to thank you all for an amazing and successful school year. It has been an incredible journey full of learning and fun! As I reflect over the school year, it is clear that I am blessed to be surrounded and supported by so many families, students, and staff. I am forever grateful. As we all enjoy some summer fun, be sure to find time to reconnect, relax, and rest. 2018-2019 will be another exciting school year.
Wishing you the best,
11 Hicks Memory Book Celebration 3:00pm
12 4th grade field trip to Greenfield Village 9:15am - 2:00pm
12 Kindergarten field trip to Kensington 9:15am - 2:00pm
12 5th Grade end of year picnic @ Hiram Sims Park 10:00am - 3:00pm
12 First Grade Red, White & Blue picnic 12:10 - 12:50pm
13 5th Grade Celebration 6:30 - 8:00pm (please no food or drinks in the gym)
14 Please do not park in the bus loop
14 Yearbook signing 9:30 - 10:15am
14 Popsicles 10:15 - 10:30am
14 Closing Ceremony 11:20am
14 5th grade clap out 11:55am
14 Final Day of School ½ Day
14 End of 3rd Trimester
19 Report Cards posted and available online by the end of the day
27 Playground Play dates w/ Kona Ice truck 6:00 - 8:00pm
WLCSD PARENT/COMMUNITY SURVEY FOR 2018
The Walled Lake Schools staff works diligently to serve every child, every day! Walled Lake Schools is seeking input from the community for the 2017-18 school year. The purpose of this 20-question, multiple choice survey, that also includes two open-ended questions, is to gather feedback from our parents, staff, community members and former students, to improve.
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL EVENTS & REMINDERS: CLOSING CEREMONY & 5th GRADE CLAP OUT
- Please do not park in the bus loop
- 9:30 – 10:15 school-wide yearbook signing
- 10:15 – 10:30 popsicles
- 11:20 - 11:50 Closing Ceremony
- 11:55 - 12:05 5th grade clap out
We will have our annual GUEST Closing Ceremony on the last day of school, Thursday, June 14th from 11:20 AM-11:50 AM. We hope to again have this ceremony outside in front of our school. Parents may attend this ceremony if they wish. We will be celebrating the end of a great school year. After the ceremony is finished, teachers will be taking their classes back to their classrooms to get ready to go home and prepare for the 5th grade clap out at 11:55am.
Please do not go to the classrooms at the end of the Closing Ceremony. We ask that you head around to the back of the school to prepare for the clap out. There will be a table set up for you to sign your student out on the last day.
If the weather is favorable, please line the blacktop like we do for our Halloween parade. We will have music playing inside and outside as we celebrate and clap out our 5th grade students. There will be a table set up for you to sign your student out on the last day.
CONGRATULATIONS TO JEWEL HOLMES
At the show District K-12 Art Exhibition, the public, as well as those honored, have the opportunity to vote for their favorite works. The winning pieces are then professionally framed and displayed at the ESC for one year. This year, our very own Jewel Holmes won a "Teacher's Choice" award! CONGRATULATIONS JEWEL!!! Her work will be on display beginning this fall at the ESC.
HI GUEST FRIENDS! LIFE IS GOOD AT THE TRAINERS!
SUMMER RESOURCES TO PREVENT THE "SUMMER SLIDE"
Getting ready for the summer vacation is exciting, but let's not forget to keep learning. Many children who don't engage in reading and math will fall behind and put them at a disadvantage. Please take advantage of the resources we have shared. As more become available, we will contact all families. Facts regarding Summer Slide
- Visit our Little Lending Library
- IREADY LESSONS - We are asking that ALL STUDENTS complete one hour of math & one hour of reading per week. A calendar will be sent home for families to help keep track of lessons and time. Mrs. Fiebke-Lang will be monitoring usage over the summer.
IREADY CALENDAR AND LETTERS ARE LISTED BELOW
- Walled Lake City Library Summer Reading Program. This friendly competition was created to encourage our students to be involved in the Summer Reading Activities in our community. Below are the high points:
-students must come to the library to sign up and receive a reading packet -when students sign up to read, their name is placed on a STAR and placed on the “WALK OF FAME” Red Carpet Official Score Board at the City Library
-students completing their goals will receive chances for the Grand Prize and an invitation to the Wrap-Up Party, Monday, August 20th.
-The 1st & 2nd Place school to the “Sign-Up to Read” Contest will be announced and awards presented in September.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading List
- Be a Rep for the Day contest by Kathy Crawford to win a chance to be a State Representative for a day in the fall.
- Select a book that you can read as a family and have a book club chat about it throughout the summer.
- The International Literacy Association (ILA) and the Children’s Book Council (CBC) recently shared a list of newly published children’s and young adult book voted to be favorites by children from across the United States ranging from Kindergarten to Sixth grade. Check out the list and start your summer reading early!
- MATH MIND Research Institute recently shared a blog post for 15 math activities for family summer fun
- MATH Ideas posted by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
- PRODIGY MATH is a fun online program that many of our students have joined to practice their skills in a gaming atmosphere. It can be played offline as well for student safety.
- WRITING - Consider having your child keep a journal of any vacations or trips that your family takes this summer.
- Write a book together about your family summer adventures and turn it into a play.
- When you head out to the store, make a list together of the things that you need to purchase and have your child write it out.
- Access the district student tab and Gantz’s Goodies for age appropriate online games for all academic areas, coding, and more!
- EPIC BOOKS $3.00 for 3 months - over 25,000 titles
LETTERS EXPLAINING IREADY PROCESS FOR THE SUMMER
SUMMER CALENDAR FOR IREADY MATH & READING
FREE SUMMER MEAL PROGRAM begins June 18th
CALLING ALL NEW KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS
Incoming kindergartners must be five-years-old on or before September 1, 2018.
Research indicates that developmentally appropriate full-day schedules benefit kindergarten children academically, socially and emotionally. Our principals and teachers understand this and are well equipped to meet the needs of our kindergarten students.
Our kindergarten students begin to learn a whole host of reading, writing and mathematics concepts and learning strategies that give them the foundation for a successful elementary school career in Walled Lake Schools.
MARK YOUR SUMMER CALENDAR FOR THE FOLLOWING DATES
WLCSD Communicates on District Budget and School Funding
Walled Lake Schools has been reducing and struggling with funding for more than 17 years. This challenge is caused by declining revenue received from the State of Michigan as well as an overall reduction in our student population. Please take some time to watch this video on the WLCSD budget. Please open this link on the School Finance Research Collaborative. It is an important study on our state’s approach to funding public education. You can all sign up to support this project. Lastly, you can write your legislators about adequate funding for public education.
FOUNDATION FOR EXCELLENCE 9th ANNUAL GOLF OUTING
This fun-filled community event will further the Foundation’s mission to enrich K-12 classrooms across the WL District within the areas of literacy & leadership, community & diversity, science, technology & the arts and District programs and support the FFE annual grant program.
Join FFE on the green, be a proud sponsor, and/or provide a donation for outing's raffle/silent auction:
- 2018 Foundation for Excellence Golf Scramble - Compete outing details
- REGISTER NOW: Online player & sponsorship sign-up
- Payment can also be made by check payable to the Foundation for Excellence, located at 850 Ladd Rd., bldg.. D, Walled Lake, MI 48390
Questions? Contact FFE office @ 248.946.2116 or email MichelleBianco@wlcsd.org
KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS
Do you shop at Kroger? Is your Kroger Rewards card attached to our school? If not, we encourage you to CLICK HERE to create an account with your Rewards number and indicate you want to support Mary Helen Guest Elementary PTA. It doesn’t cost you anything, but raises money for our school! Currently we have 37 families connected to our school, but we bet there are many more of you who shop there. If you have already created an account, but are not sure if you are connected to Guest, click on the link above, log in to your account, and make any necessary updates. You need to reconnect your account every year, so please click and check today!
Bus Routes & Transportation Department
LAKES AREA YOUTH ASSISTANCE LAYA
GOOGLE APPS FOR EDUCATION
2018-2019 PTA REFLECTIONS THEME "HEROES AROUND ME"
SALON TRESS - $5.00 off your first visit!
LAKES ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL & SURGERY
HOME - SCHOOL CONNECTION
GUEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
Principal Secretary email@example.com
Heather Pengelly firstname.lastname@example.org
Safe-line for Absences: 248-956-3390
Sharon Becker email@example.com
Prime Time Supervisor
Direct Link to PTA page click HERE
Principal Contact Information
Mary Helen Guest Elementary, Principal
Walled Lake Consolidated School District
Main Office: 248.956.3300
Cell or text: 248.766.5771