Education In The Third World

By: Andrew Cara


Over the course of history, education in the lower wealth countries have been poor or even non-existent due to low funds, deprived political planning and, ironically, underprivileged education among the general population. As an educated and generally wealthy population, we set out to assist these countries to advance their education system to ultimately improve their way of life.


Improving education in the third word will assist to boost world trade and economy due to a greater educated population.

My First Hand Evidence

Over the past two summers, I have participated in mission trips to the Dominican Republic to assist in developing a Haitian refugee community. Their quality of life was poor the first time I went in July 2013. As a group, in compliance with the locals, we improved their water system to serve more than 1000 families in and around the area. This past summer, we improved and expanded their water system once again to meet the demand of water in the area. Regardless of their living conditions, they were the happiest group of individuals I have ever met. I have met every local over the years and what I have observed is that no matter how little a family has, they are at least a thousand times happier than anyone here at home.

Improvement of the Quality of Life

According to the chart, 82% of the surveyed population answered over option 5. This means that the majority of the charted feel that western society is making a positive impact in the third world countries. There are clear indications that our efforts appear to be helping countries in need by providing better education opportunities, leading to employ ability, and ultimately a higher quality of life. According to Søren Ventegodt, Joav Merrick, and Niels Jørgen Andersen; there are notions of a good life that can be separated into three subgroups:

  1. The subjective quality of life is how good a life each individual feels he or she has. Each individual personally evaluates how he or she views things and his or her feelings and notions. Whether an individual is content with life and happy are aspects that reflect the subjective quality of life.
  2. The objective quality of life means how one’s life is perceived by the outside world. This view is influenced by the culture in which people live. The objective quality of life reveals itself in a person’s ability to adapt to the values of a culture and tells us little about that person’s life. Examples may be social status or the status symbols one should have to be a good member of that culture. (Objective is used here in the sense of nonsubjective or objective facts. Nonsubjective is concerned with the external and easily established conditions of life that many observers can rate identically.)
  3. The existential quality of life means how good one’s life is at a deeper level. It is assumed that the individual has a deeper nature that deserves to be respected and that the individual can live in harmony with. We might think that a number of needs in our biological nature have to be fulfilled, that these factors — such as conditions of growth — must be optimized, or that we must all live life in accordance with certain spiritual and religious ideals laid down by the nature of our being. (Ventegodt, Merrick, Andersen, 2003)
The subgroups are essential to the improving the quality of life in the world, but specifically third world countries.

Resource Trade & Sharing on a Global Scale

Resources are a key factor of world trade, especially when one country is assisting another with its issues. From general public knowledge from the media, 60% of the questioned population feel that the western world are gaining resources from the third world, while the other 40% feel that we are not gaining anything. Regardless of tangibility, a better education will lead to a better world economy. Also, sharing resources with other countries is crucial for the growth of that country if those resources are used properly. 56% agree with sharing resources, 14% of which strongly agree. On the other hand, 18% feel that the western world should not share our valuable resources, 10% strongly feel this way. The outstanding 26% are neutral about sharing resources with countries who need it most. The high percentage of the neutral population can be due to having a low knowledge base on the topic. Corporations such as The United Nations and The World Trade Organization encourage large international corporations to circulate some of their disposable income back into their country's economy to improve ministries and their services to improve the quality of life to the country's population, and ultimately boosting the educated citizen count. The better a country's economy is, the better the world economy will be. Education is proven to boost economy on a large, as a well as small scale; 54% surveyed agree with that statement. The neutral, 36%, feel that it depends on the situation and the variables given. 10% believe that the world can function without these deprived countries. With an educated population, the world economy will improve due to better wages, and higher quality goods will be produced and sold all over the world. Also, more currency will be circulated by corporations through the wages of their employees.

Priority of Homelessness & Assistance in the World

Domestic homelessness is just as important as foreign poverty. The population that was surveyed showed that 64% of them feel that poverty in the third world should be addressed after homelessness in the western world. The other 36% feel that homelessness at home should be addressed first. If an entire country breaks the poverty barrier through education and currency circulation, the country's economy, as well as the world economy will flourish. Change in the third world can be measured in many different ways. Half of the participants feel that their quota is met when it comes to assisting the nations in need; while the other half feel that they are not making a difference. In retrospect; all countries need assistance in one respect or another, but clearly some more than others in different areas. Most of these issues can be resolved through educating the population as the first step to resolution.


In conclusion, most of the population surveyed feel optimistic about assisting the third world, not just to benefit the country, but to benefit on a global scale to improve the quality of life. Education is proven to better one’s life, and if education is improved throughout a country, the entire nation will succeed on a global scale. Educating a population of un-wealthy countries will boost their economy, quality of life, and ultimately make the country wealthier; therefore, education is the driving the Human Developmental Index up to improve the Quality of life for all.