Mrs. McGeorge's Super Second Grade
Week of December 7, 2015
What We're Learning
In reading, we are revisiting comparing two versions of the same text. We will read two different versions of The Emperor's New Clothes and Little Red Riding Hood.
In writing, we are beginning our book reviews with catchy introductions and summarizing the plot of the book without giving away the ending. We will use a rubric to make our pieces strong and hold ourselves accountable.
We are continuing with our unit in place value. We will practice writing numbers in standard for (23), expanded form (20+3), and with drawings (two ten rods and three cubes). We will use these different forms for numbers to solve problems with two two-digit numbers.
We are continuing our unit of temperature by practicing reading thermometers. At the end of this week, we will perform an experiment where we will use this skill to measure the temperature of different liquids.
In Other News...
- As I am sure you know, I missed half of last week due to a cold gone wrong. Laryngitis is no joke! I finally have my voice back, and I am so excited and ready to be back in the classroom. I apologize for missing those days, and we will pick up right where we left off last Wednesday.
- Unfortunately, I will be in the building, but not teaching, this Tuesday morning. Second grade teachers will be meeting to plan and create assessments for our future math units. I have another great sub lined up, and I trust the morning will go smoothly.
- Thank you Aiden and AJ for your Box Tops! Moreau Heights collects Box Tops, Labels for Education, My Coke Rewards, and more. We will have our second quarter collection dates in mid-December, but you can send them in any time. Thank you for your help!
- Scholastic Book Order forms came home last week. This is the last chance to shop before winter break and holidays! If you'd like to gift shop without your child knowing, you can submit your order online or in a sealed envelope, and we can find a way to get the book to you. Orders are due this Friday, December 11.
- It's getting chilly out there! Please make sure your child brings a jacket or coat on cold days; and gloves, mittens, hats, etc. are welcome as well. Please try to label your child's belongings so that in the event they get misplaced, they can find their way back to you. Thank you!
M 12/07 Art, Library Lesson
Tu 12/08 Music
W 12/09 PE
Th 12/10 Art
F 12/11 Music, Scholastic Book Orders due!
M 12/14 PE, Library Check-Out
F 12/18 Spirit Day; Spirit & Awards Assembly, 1:20 pm
Tu 12/22 Sing Along assembly @ 10:00 am, Winter party @ 10:30 am, 3 Hour Early Release (dismissal @ 12:15 pm)
W 12/23-M 01/04 Winter Break, No School