The Parsons Happenings
September 25, 2020
A message from your Proud Principal
In the 2020-2021 school year, 75% of students in grades 1- 5 will earn a score of Proficient or Distinguished on the ELA and Math Unit District Assessments. 75% of students in Kindergarten will read on or above grade level at the end of the year.
Parsons Elementary will continue to perform in the 80th percentile on the Gallup Employee Engagement Survey. As a staff, we will focus on staff recognition and overall job satisfaction.
Important Reminders for Online Learners
- It is an expectation that all digital students attend all classroom Zoom meetings.
- Digital Learners should follow the Digital Lesson Plans for each day, completing all assignments, and submitting the assignments on time for each lesson.
- Students should have their cameras turned on when possible. This is very helpful to the teacher and helps to build a classroom community.
- Active participation in all Zoom lessons helps students actively learn.
- Please follow the daily schedule on the Digital Lesson Plan for each day.
- Please be on time for all Zoom Meetings.
- Sometimes, especially for our younger students, parents or caregivers may need to assist our younger students with sticking to the schedule and submitting/uploading assignments.
Staff Goody Day sponsored by our 4th and 5th grade parents was incredible!
What does Stronger Together mean to you?
~Omar B., Mrs. Melts' 4th Grade
Want to share your thoughts of what it means to be STRONGER TOGETHER to be shared in an upcoming eNews? Just share your thoughts in an email to me, email@example.com
We ask that you support our Gwinnett County School Nutrition program and not bring in any fast food for your student.
Welcome to Parsons, Mrs. Joannie Baltimore!
Parsons Teacher of the Year 2020- 2021!
We would like to congratulate Mrs. Lisa Isom-Jones, one of our first grade teachers as our Teacher of the Year!
Dr. Mary Kay Murphy visits Parsons Elementary
- Yom Kippur
- IOWA Testing ~ 2nd Grade
- IOWA Testing ~ 2nd Grade
- Computer Learning Month
- Crime Prevention Month
- National Bullying Month
- National Principals Month
- National Physical Therapy Month
- Box Top Collection Day
- National Custodial Workers Recognition Day
- National Diversity Day
- 9:00 am ~ PTA Meeting on Zoom
Digital Citizenship Family Tips
Hispanic Heritage Month
At Parsons, we take much pride in our diverse population. It is important for us to celebrate the many different cultures that make up our PRIDE. Each year, we celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central, and South America. Started in 1968 by Congress as Hispanic Heritage Week, it was expanded to a month in 1988. In celebration, we will be doing many activities that honor Hispanic Heritage.
Here are a few things you can do at home:
- Kiddos love poetry. Why not read Hispanic poetry. Try the poems of Francisco X. Alarcón, such as “My Mother’s Hands” from Angels Ride Bikes and “Keys to the Universe” in From the Bellybutton of the Moon. Both poems underscore the importance of learning from other cultures.
- Love to eat food from other cultures? Eat Salvadorian street food with your family. Peel a green mango and cut into small slices. Drizzle slices with lime juice, roasted pumpkin seeds (or pepitas), and a pinch of salt. Enjoy!
You can also visit the website below for more great activities. Our goal is to have our kiddos exposed to the many different cultures that make up our Parsons PRIDE.
Media Center Information
Are you ready for some books? If you didn't come for Media Center Curbside Checkout this week, you can come next week. You now access the Media Catalog through the icon on the eCLASS landing page. All you have to do is place your books on hold by midnight this Sunday and you can pick up your books during our curbside pickup times in the Car Rider Lane. See the flyer for more details including the days and times for your pickup. Hope to see you next week to get new books!
How to register for the Parsons Reading Challenge
Did you know you have to register for the Parsons Reading Challenge each year just like you register for the summer reading program? You also need to change your homeroom teacher's name in the name field and your new grade level. You already have an account. Your username is your student number, and your PIN is your 4-digit birthday. You have all the way until the end of March to complete the program. You need to enter at least 2500 minutes to earn the reward in the spring. There are monthly competitions along the way. You can earn a badge just by registering and another badge by editing your profile following the directions in the video. Let's get reading, Parsons! Click here to sign in. Beanstack
Please sign off on the following forms in MyPaymentsPlus
The orientation forms are...
- The Parsons Parent/Student Handbook
- The GCPS Parent/Student Handbook
- Attendance Protocol
- Extracurricular Activities
- Grade Level AKS
Please consider contributing to the following items in MyPaymentsPlus
The contributions are...
- Clinic Supply Contribution
- PTA Dues
- Social Studies Weekly for 2nd and 4th Grades ONLY
- Supply Contribution
- Technology Supply Contribution
THANK YOU ALL for your support and participation throughout the fundraiser. The total amount raised was $13, 935. Woohoo!! We will be able to still do so much for the teachers and students with your donations. We want to congratulate the following teachers on hitting the 75% participation level. They have won $50 for the Fall Book Fair. YAY!!
Next PTA Meeting
The next PTA meeting by Zoom is on October 2nd at 9:00 am. Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 795 8921 9374
Please remember to join the PTA for only $7. You will be on our list to receive information about all the fun PTA events for the whole family.
Thank you for being amazing parents and teachers and supporting your PTA!
Katherine Johnson and Mabel Goldsmith
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Spirit Night
We have a PAPA JOHN'S Spirit Night on Tuesday October 6th. Please send the Promo code to friends and family in the metro Atlanta area. It all adds up for our school.
Pickup and delivery at Papa John’s Pizza PROMO CODE: PES20