Reba Hall p.7/8
Duties and Responsibilities
- Examine financial statements to be sure that they are accurate and comply with laws and regulations
- Compute taxes owed, prepare tax returns, and ensure that taxes are paid properly and on time
- Inspect account books and accounting systems for efficiency and use of accepted accounting procedures
- Organize and maintain financial records
- Assess financial operations and make best-practices recommendations to management
- Suggest ways to reduce costs, enhance revenues, and improve profits.
Working Schedule and Location
Most accountants and auditors work full time. Sometimes accountants work more than 40 hours a week. Longer hours are more likely at certain times of the year, such as at the end of the budget year or during tax season. Most work from offices and some work from home.
Salary and Wages
Accountants make $61,690 per year which comes out to $29.66 per hour.
Education Needed, Schools, and Skills Needed
For this career you need a Bachelors degree. Many colleges offer this major. Calumet College of Saint Joseph is one of them. You need to be good at math and organization in order to be successful in this career field.
Job Outlook and Advancement Opportunities
This is supposed to grow 16% percent from 2010 to 2020. You can move up to be an accountant in a big name company and get paid good money or you could become a mathematician.