Boone Meadow Friday Flyer
January 13, 2023
Wellness Night - Tremendous Turnout!
Dear Boone Meadow Families
We had a busy and exciting Wellness NIght at Boone Meadow. Hundreds to students and families showed up to explore skills and activities together. The event provided a fantastic opportunity to experience physical activity, creativity, and skill development in a variety of ways. We are thankful for our St Vincent partners, food services, and all our staff (especially Mr. Stephens and our wellness team) to make the event a success.
A few reminders and highlights about upcoming items:
- Kindergarten registration for the 23-24 school year will open up in early February. Keep your eyes open as registration will go live for the graduating class of 2036! BME will host our first of a series "Kindy Strong Start" event (formerly known as Kindy Round Up) in the afternoon/evening of March 23rd for those registered families. More information and details to come soon.
- No School on Monday & Tuesday - In observance of Martin Luther King, Jr Day followed by a staff professional development day, school is not is session on Monday and Tuesday next week. Monday, January 16th is a recognized national holiday, and on Tuesday, January 17th, teachers are engaging in trainings and staff development. All staff and students return to school on Wednesday, January 18th.
- 4th Grade Event: Webs of Support- On Thursday evening, January 19th from 5:30-6:30, Lynn Kissel-Brown (ZCS employee) will be here at Boone Meadow to host a "Webs of Support" event. The evening will consist of ways families can support their children as they journey through their school years. Primary emphasis will be on upcoming transition to middle school and how families/community can build in "anchors" for 4th/5th graders as they enter this new chapter in their school story.
- STEM Science & Engineering Fair - All are welcome, so save the date! Many students are diligently working on their science/engineering projects to share with you! Our Science and Engineering Fair is scheduled for January 26th (corrected time is 6:00-7:30) and all families/students are welcome to visit.
Grateful for you,
Boone Meadow Parent Teacher Organization
The Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)
The CogAT is a multiple-choice assessment administered to students in kindergarten and second grade. This is a computer-based assessment that measures reasoning skills with different types of verbal, quantitative, and nonverbal questions. The CogAT uses two types of norms when tests are scored: age norms, and grade norms. Age norms compare how a student performed relative to other children of the same age, and grade norms compare how a student performed relative to the other children in the same grade. After scoring has been completed each parent will receive a parent report. For more information, please contact your child’s school counselor.
BME kindergarten and 2nd grade students will be taking the assessment during the weeks of January 30th - February 10th.
For more information about the CogAT assessment, please visit our website at this link.
Indiana weather is known for its rapid changes and we have certainly already seen that this year! As the weather turns colder, students will need to come to school with their winter coats, hats, and gloves. Snow pants, waterproof boots, warm gloves/mittens are required to be able to play in the snow. Please reach out to our counselor, Mrs. Sloan, if you are in need of assistance to obtain cold weather gear. All children play outside except on rainy, icy, or very cold days (wind chill below the 10-20 degree range). Inside recess will be held on those exceptional days.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
January 16 - MLK Jr. Day - no school
January 17 - Teacher professional development day (no school for students)
January 18 - PTO Meeting (6:30 cafe)
January 25 - Science Fair set up in Gymnasium (2:30-4:00)
January 26 - Science Fair Judging (school day); Open House for Science Fair 4:00-5:30
January 27 - Science Fair Concludes
February 3 - PTO Movie NIght (more info to come)
February 8 - PTO Meeting (6:30 cafe)
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 15 - Step Up Experience (4th grade visit to ZWEST)
February 20 - 24 - February break
March 6 - IREAD3 testing window begins
March 15 - End of Quarter 3; 3rd Grade Rube Goldberg celebration (evening); NWEA testing wndow opens
March 20-24 - Scholastic Book Fair
March 23 - Kindy Strong Start event (3-7PM) for incoming Kindergarteners and families (formerly known as Kindy Round Up)
March 31 - April 7 - Spring Break
April 12 - PTO Meeting
April 28 - Boone Meadow Bash!
May 1-5 - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 2 - Boone Meadow Voices Concert @ ZWEST
May 10 - PTO meeting
May 12 - Field Day
May 22 - Kindy Sing
May 24 - Fourth Grade Celebration
May 25 - Last Day of School
Lunch Guest Sign Ups
We are ready to welcome lunch guests! Students and their guests will have lunch at designated locations in the front lobby area. Please no more than 2 guests per student due to limited space. So that others may have the opportunity, we ask that you not sign up more than 1 time per month. As we implement this new system/procedure, we will limit availability one more week to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday visits.
Here's how it works:
- Sign up for a reservation in advance using this link: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/BMELunchSchedule@zcsk12in.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/ When you sign up, please be certain to complete all fields requested.
- Be sure to notify your child's teacher so they are informed to send your child to the front lobby to meet you/guest during their scheduled lunch time.
- Bring a photo ID and arrive 5 minutes early (lunch times are listed on the signup form link above).
- Your child will meet you in the front office area when they are ready.
The School Directory App is Updated for the 2022-23 school year families!
Our Student directory is now complete! Many thanks to the PTO for organizing this helpful resource! To access the directory follow these steps:
- Go to www.directoryspot.net or download the “Directory Spot” app on a smart phone. Click “Login”.
- Enter your email address as your Username, and click on “Reset Password”. An email will be sent to you with a link to set your password.
- Click on the link in the email to set your password and to log in.
If you have trouble logging in, please contact PTO Secretary, Carolee Sanguedolce at email@example.com
School Safety: Visitors & Volunteers Background Checks
When volunteers are needed and approved, appropriate staff members will reach out to you in effort to welcome your support and assistance.
If you plan to volunteer or visit in the future, please note the following information.
Click here for information regarding required Background Checks for volunteers: ZCS Volunteer Background Check
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building typically offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. If you plan to assist as chaperones or engage with children in a volunteer capacity, we strongly recommend getting a criminal background check completed well in advance to have on file.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.