The Real No Spin Zone
This project will focus on being digitally literate. It will involve watching four videos covering the recent news about the NSA with three containing biased reporting and one not containing any biased reporting. Remember that bias is considered by Merriam-Webster as, "a tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others that usually results in treating some people unfairly."
- First you need to watch each of the three videos in your group and take notes on any bias that you can see in the reporting. This is to have an idea of what you saw from watching the video and being able to remember the bias after you are finished watching all of the videos. One video is from CNN, one is from Fox News, and the last one is from MSNBC. You will then watch the last video from Al Jazeera America which does not contain bias. Notice the difference between this segment and the three other segments.
- Next your group will gather facts online about the story and create your own script for a news segment that will not contain any bias. Links on how to write a news script are provided below.
- Once you have finalized the script you will then record the segment. Links on how to record a news segment are provided below.
- After the segment has been recorded you will then transfer it to the computer. If you are using an internet connected device you can upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive. If you do not have internet connectivity you can connect the camera to the computer and transfer it that way.
- Once the segment is recorded and transferred to the computer you will edit it using Windows Movie Maker. Links on how to edit a news segment are provided below.
- After the video is edited and the final segment is ready to go you will upload it to Youtube and post the link on Blackboard. When uploading the video to Youtube make sure to have it set to private so only people with the link can view it.
- We will then watch all of the videos while taking notes noting any bias that still remains in the newly created segments.
- Each group will be assigned another group to write a report detailing any bias, if any, is still left in their reporting. This will then be turned in online using Blackboard.
Biased News Segments
Unbiased News Segment
Al Jazeera America
Congressional delays limit NSA's authority to collect phone records