AIS Friday Flash
Friday, November 15, 2019
International Week & Potluck-Nov. 18 thru Nov. 22
International Week is here! AIS is pleased to host this exciting week-long celebration of cultures and countries. We look forward to collaborating with you and invite you to our annual International Festival Potluck on Friday, November 22. (Please note Friday is a full day with no early release.) Please review the email sent out for more detailed information. For the potluck, we need everyone’s help to make this event a great success.
Please sign up below to:
- Bring an international dish: a dish from your home country, your adopted country or even just a place you like!
- Collect the dishes, from 7.45 am to 9.00 am
- Help with the buffet set up starting at 9.30 am up to your child’s presentation
- Help with the service
- Help with cleaning up the buffet and loading of the dishwasher
- Take home one class box (containing the reusable plates and cutlery) to wash and return after the break
- Take the compostable plates to your home compost
- Help organizing the leftovers and finish the dishwashing after 3.45pm
There are lots of slots left, so thank you for volunteering to prep, cook, bake, and clean-up for this wonderful AIS community event!
Spirit Night @ Kendra Scott
We are very grateful to our families who came out to our Kendra Scott Spirit Night and to KS for generously donating $876 back to AIS!
Cross Country Victory!
Good job to our amazing Cross-Country team! We had awards all around with Carew placing in 1st, Donovan placing in 1st, Samrawit placing in 1st, Yelena placing 2nd, and Quinn placing 1st in their respective categories. Go owls, go owls, go owls!
French Market Festival-Sat. Nov 16, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
We are excited to participate in Austin Angers Sister City French Market Festival tomorrow at St. Edward's University. There will be music, French cooking demos, petanque, food trucks, bread, and cheese! We hope to see you there.
Thanksgiving Food Drive-Nov. 4 thru Nov. 21
Our Student Council Representatives are hosting a Thanksgiving Food Drive from Monday, November 4 through Thursday, November 21 through the Austin Food Bank.
Last year we raised $724, and this year we would like to up our goal to $900. We need your help to reach our goal.
You can give to our Thanksgiving Food Drive in 3 ways:
1.) Donate funds to our Virtual Food Drive:
- Every $1 makes 4 meals! Austin Food Bank can stretch a dollar a lot further than someone can at a grocery store because of their partnerships and bulk orders.
- Austin Food Bank can buy and distribute fresh produce, and perishable frozen and refrigerated foods to people, which are often healthier options!
- 96% of all donated resources Austin Food Bank receives go directly to the community through programs and food distributions.
2.) Bring food to school and placing it in the Food Drive boxes at in the reception area:
Click here for what to donate: Be sure to give items that are healthy, non-perishable food, items that are intact, un-opened, items in consumer or commercial packaging, items with non-breakable packaging (no glass please), and food within the expiration date on the packaging.
3.) Donate food and funds!
Please let us know if you have any questions and thank you for participating in our Thanksgiving Food Drive!
Make sure to check out the student council expression wall in reception. All our community is invited to write something on this wall to spread joy, kindness, gratitude, and positive thoughts. It can be a drawing for the little one, a few words, or a poem. We look forward to reading your shares.
Today we had 54 students out with the flu! We hope everyone feels better soon! To help us all stay healthy, remember the CDC recommends an at-home recovery period of between 5-7 days for the flu. Please help us stop the spread of illness by ensuring your child is healthy and has been fever free without medication for 24 hours when they come to school. If your child has been given Tylenol or any other fever suppressing medication within 24 hours, we will call you to pick them up. Please remind your child of good hand-washing practices and to cover their cough/sneeze with the inside of their elbow, not with their hands. We will be reminding them of these good habits at school as well. We will continue working to keep surfaces clean and disinfected, and our cleaning crew will also be performing a deep cleaning. Thank you for helping our school community stay healthy.
Picture Orders & Retakes-Wed., Nov. 20
Retake pictures (individual and/or siblings) will take place on November 20. Please use this link to sign up for retakes. If you forgot to order individual pictures for your student(s) and wish to do so, you may go to the photographer's website using this specific code: IQ320952.
Gala Raffle Pull-Fri., Nov. 22
Tickets are on sale all next week for the amazing raffle baskets. Families may purchase tickets for ANY basket in the mornings or afternoons each day (except Wednesday and Friday afternoon). Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20 or 10 for $40. We will pull the lucky basket winners at the International Potluck on Friday, 11/22. You do not need to be present at the potluck to win, however, we ask that you take them home at pickup on 11/22 (for the Break).
Thanksgiving Break-Nov.25 thru Nov. 29
We hope everyone enjoys the Thanksgiving Break with their friends and families. At this time of year, we are reminded of all that we are thankful for. We thank you for sharing your children with us and being part of such a wonderful community.
Save the Dates
Please save the date for these upcoming events. More details to come.
- 11/16 French Market Festival-St. Edward's University
- 11/18-11/22 International Week
- 11/20 Individual & Sibling Picture Retakes (by signup)
- 11/22 International Community Potluck
- 11/25-11/29 Thanksgiving Break - No School
- 12/5 PTO Coffee
- 12/7 AIS Open House
- 12/7 Trail of Lights 5K
- 12/12 AIS Alumni Gathering
- 12/17 PTO/Board Meeting
- 12/19 Spirit Night-Newk's
- 12/20 Winter Parties
- 12/20 Choir Performance