VA Thespian Update
VA Thespians Kudos & Happenings
HAPPY January 2023 & VTF Month!
We are so excited to welcome many of you at our Virginia Thespian Festival in a couple of weeks! We hope your winter break was restorative, inspiring, and you welcome in the new year with cheer! Please email if you have questions, but keep in mind, there could be a delay due to our last minute preparations for our. "Out of This World" Festival 2023!
Follow us on social media @vathespians or Virginia Thespians for more information and updates! We would love to know how to support you this year. Please complete our 2023 Troupe Director Survey.
EVENTSENTIAL FESTIVAL APP- DOWNLOAD ASAP!!
Apply to be VTO for the 2023-24 school year!
What's a VTO?
VTO stands for Virginia Thespian Officer.
The State Thespian Officers are made up of a small group of elected and appointed students (7-15) from around the state. They are open to Juniors/ Seniors ideally with prior leadership experience. They are elected at VTF via an application and interview process.
APPLY BY Jan 9th to be considered, HERE TODAY!
**INTERVIEWS WILL HAPPEN AT VTF THIS YEAR! IF you cannot go, let us know on your application so we can interview in advance. Thank you! Email with any other questions email@example.com.
Volunteer Point Sheet VTF
Volunteer VTF Positions
FESTIVAL STUDENT OPPORTUNITY!
The 24 Hour Plays at VTF 2023!
Are your students looking for help through the college application process?
*It is never too early to starting the process. As early as Freshman year this team can help you through every step of the way!
Teacher Tool of the Month: Virginia Thespian Digital Resources
Join us for Virginia Thespian Teacher PD summer 2023!
Here's what you get this coming summer...
Your Full Conference (FCON) registration includes:
-1 room stay on August 8th
-Daily happy hour with FREE drinks & appetizers
-Two FULL days of PD with multiple options per session
-Boxed lunches for both days from Apple Spice Catering
*You can opt for the Basic Conference (BCON) option if you are commuting, sharing a room to split the room costs with a teacher friend, or plan to stay elsewhere.
*Register here and complete this form.
All hotel rooms (reserved through us) & meeting spaces will be at Drury Plaza Hotel: 11049 W Broad St, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Join us for Thespian Teacher PD!
Need technical assistance? Look at Booktix for ticketing, Parlights or ACG for lighting & more!
Check out our other vendors coming to festival!
Thank you to all of our 2023 sponsors!
Did you see all the colleges coming this year?
How to Find out More...?
Hi my name is Jason Lemire, a fellow theatre teacher, and founder of a new, unique playscript licensing company, TIFE Theatre.
What sets TIFE apart is our enthusiasm for working with schools to customize our playscripts to reflect the creativity and community of the programs who license with us.
This includes allowing troupes to change the names of characters to reflect the names in their own communities, and encouraging troupes to work with their partnering playwright to infuse their troupe's production with improvised discoveries made during the rehearsal process.
We also happen to have very strong material that is particularly successful at capturing the teenage voice and experience.
TIFE was warmly received this fall at the EdTA's National Conference in Los Angeles, and we are now exploring which state conferences to attend as vendors and workshop presenters.
With this in mind, I was curious if you could tell me a bit about Virginia's events this year, both for students and teachers, in terms of expected attendance as well as what opportunities there might be for TIFE to introduce itself to the teachers and students in Virgnina.
Wishing you the best in your respective upcoming productions!
Virginia Thespians Alumni Group
Planning a field trip soon?
Join this mailing list for rich virtual panel discussions, up-and-coming works, & more!
ITS Inductions Checklist
1. Hold an interest meeting. Ask- Who is interested in becoming inducted into ITS?
2. Share out the point application for students to complete with their past and current theatrical experiences for certain point values.
3. Have students fill out the Member Google form, for the exact information you need to collect to put them into the official ITS/ EdTA system, and pay $35 for the one-time membership fee, which lasts them a lifetime. (More materials at the bottom of the newsletter to promote and explain ITS.)
4. Hold inductions. Here is a sample outline to use. You can create your own rituals, traditions, or if you are in a pinch, it can be less than 30 minutes before school starts or before a rehearsal for example.
5. Log into your myedta account to input all of your new inductees.
6. Pay the lump sum as the director, if your students didn't pay EdTA directly. Our suggestion is to collect the money as you typically do for school events, work with your bookkeeper or boosters to cut one check to EdTA to keep it simple.
7. Hold an end of year or semester celebration to hand out the new goodies when they are delivered to the school!
Don't have a troupe yet? Read more about the benefits and process here!
Join this art platform below for local artists, resources, and more!
Need information to share about Thespians or VTF?
Here is a Festival Guide for students or new troupe directors.
Why join or have an ITS troupe? Share with students & administrators!