Burleson Elementary News
December 3, 2020
A NOTE FROM MRS. COFFMAN
We are thankful and blessed to have the absolute best students and staff! This year all of our amazing staff have stepped up and not only provided our Broncos with an excellent education, but have also kept them safe, fed, and sanitized.
To say thank you, please consider making some extra Christmas treats or goodies and drop it off at our elementary office. Or just some thank you notes to let our Bronco family know that they are loved and doing a great job!
Thank you for loving on our teachers and staff, who love on our most precious gifts everyday!
- Practice letter and sound recognition. Letter for this week is Dd.
- Focus on number recognition up to number 15.
- Library book is due back on Tuesday.
- Please write number of words read on reading log in purple folder.
- Bring water bottle every day.
We will have a Christmas celebration on Tuesday, December 15 with Cindy Gonzales and students in FCCLA. Thank you for all your help and cooperation.
Mrs. A 😊
- Please continue practicing sight words. We will be testing over all of them before Christmas Break.
- Attendance is very important in the coming weeks! We will be MAP testing, report card testing, and having some holiday fun!
- Continue reading with your child every night. Their exposure to books is crucial.
- Bring library books, sight word baggy, and a water bottle every day.
Thank you for all you do! Continue reaching out on Dojo if you need anything.
- We will test on ALL the green sight words tomorrow.
- Study for your spelling test tomorrow.
- Practice +6's
- Please bring library books every day. Remind your child to take their AR tests.
- Don't forget a water bottle every day.
- Attendance is very important. We will be MAP testing and making our holiday crafts and I don't want anyone to miss out.
Please DOJO me with any questions. Thank you!!
* We will spend time reviewing addition facts for several weeks before moving on to subtraction facts in January.
* Study the spelling words, sentences, and phonics rules for a test each Friday.
* Bring your library book to school every day. READ, READ, READ!
* Remember to bring a water bottle each day(water only).
Thank you for all that you do!
If at any point this year your child has to stay at home and do virtual learning here are a few reminders:
- Attendance has to be done through Mrs. Lamming's virtual google classroom by 10AM
- ALL assignments will be created inside Mrs. Lammings virtual classroom for Reading and Social Studies and inside Mrs. Houchin's for Math and Science.
- Follow the google classroom assignment directions completely-they maybe different than what we normally do in the classroom
- All assignments from google classroom will be linked to these programs: Edgenuity, IXL and Studies Weekly
- Make sure your child is watching when each assignment is due to be turned in on google classroom
- We are learning fractions of a whole and fractions of a group in math.
- In science we are learning how different amounts of force affect the motion of an object.(check class dojo for pictures of our lab this week!)
- Practice math facts each day. We will test every Friday on them.
- Math fact homework in due on Fridays.
- Cooking is a fun way for your child to learn fractions! Have them read a recipe and measure out the ingredients with measuring spoons/cups. Have them help cut a pizza or cake into equal parts!
- In reading this week we will learn about how characters change throughout the text, what messages an author wants us to learn, and comparing characters.
- We will be studying dipthongs(oi,oy,ou,ow) in phonics and spelling.
- In Social Studies we will be learning reasons people formed communities including a need for security and laws. They will identify and describe law enforcement services commonly provided by local governments. They will also identify characteristics of good citizenship and understand the importance of acts of civic responsibility.
4th Grade Virtual Learning
If your child needs to be quarantined at home, these are the learning platforms they will need to use for all virtual assignments:
Google Classroom with be used for attendance and for a link to the weekly Social Studies Newspapers. Students are all connected to Google Classroom via their email address and have accessed it in class.
Students should know their usernames and passwords as they use IXL in the classroom, but we can send individual usernames and passwords via Dojo if needed.
Thelearningodyssey.com (referred to as Edgenuity, Pathblazer, or Odyssey)
Usernames are all first/last name with no space. Passwords are all Broncos2021. When logging on you will be asked for a school code which is MeadowISD
Students are practicing using these platforms in class, so in the event they need to stay home they should be familiar with all of them. We will also be giving students a list of usernames and passwords that they will keep in their purple folders.
Our primary method of communication is ClassDojo. All virtual assignments will be posted on Dojo daily/weekly.
If you have any questions, please contact us via Dojo.
Mrs. Bell & Mrs. McCormick
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and although the excitement for Christmas is building, we still have a lot of learning to do!
- This week we began digging deep into vocabulary using a resource called Vocabu-Lit. Students will take a vocabulary test on Friday based on the new words introduced this week.
- Our spelling words this week are compound words and words with Greek Roots – test on Friday!
- In Social Studies we are still learning about The Trouble with Texas, The Mexican War of Independence and Stephen Austin.
- As always… Read, read, read – Reading is a homework assignment! All students are required to read for at least 20 minutes every evening. Please make sure you are initialing your child’s Reading Log every evening after they have read.
Please remember to send your child with a clean mask and refillable water bottle every day.
Please message me on Dojo with any questions or concerns.
- In Math we are working hard with fractions. Adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators, comparing fractions with unlike denominators, and simplifying fractions. Simplifying fractions has been our hardest area.
- Designing our own investigations in Science has been fun. Each group had to come up with a testable question and design their investigation to answer the question. There were lots of great ideas flowing!!
- If your child has to go virtual at any point during the year be sure to access the information above for all the platforms and logins that will be used. All assignments will be due by 4:00 on the day they are assigned.
- Our Christmas musical is coming up December 10th and will be virtual so watch for more information concerning this.
- Study multiplication facts every night.
- Bring a water bottle and clean mask EVERYDAY!
- No Spelling Test this week, we will start back next week
- Please bring Clean masks and water bottles daily!
- We had 4 Turkey's make it past Thanksgiving! Be on the lookout for them coming home, it was so much fun!
- Please be sure your students are well rested. I know the holidays are exhausting on us all, but we need them alert and ready to go each day!
- Thank you for all your support this year so far! It is very much appreciated!
- Please study multiplication math fact cards.
- Math Fact Quiz on Friday
- We have sent out instructions on what to do if your child goes virtual on class dojo.
- Please stay safe and thank you for all you do!
BURLESON ELEMENTARY VIRTUAL CHRISTMAS PERFORMANCE
Our elementary students will perform Flakes:
One in a Million
Reprise: We're Flakes!
Our Pre-k Class will be singing:
O Christmas Tree
Up On The Housetop
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
WEDNESDAY SNACK SHACK
Prices will range from $2.00 - $4.00
MEADOW PTO SNACK CART ON FRIDAY'S
DECEMBER LUNCH MENU
Your child's name will be displayed on the day of their birthday. If their special day falls on a weekend their shout out will be displayed on the Friday before. This is open to ALL Meadow students and staff.