Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 10/05-10/09: Fall Break: NO SCHOOL! BASE is still open. You can check out the BASE schedule HERE.
- 10/10: Arden Fair Kids Day 10am-11am
- 10/14: International Walk to School Day
- 10:15: WCS Board Meeting 6:30pm on Pebblewood- Room P11
- 10/19: Picture Day Retakes
- 10/22: Field Trip to Sierra College
- 10/24: Fall Festival 2:00-6:00pm
- 10/24-10/30: Scholastic Book Fair at Del Paso
- 11/04: Explorit Science Night 6pm-8pm at DP Campus
- 11/05: WAVE Meeting 6:30pm
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
What a busy and fun time! Picture day, Bravo Day, Decades Day, you name it, we were there! We've had so much fun lately and time seems to be flying by!
This week during Science, we watched this video of the news report and then students came up with what they know from the video and what they still need to know in order to help. Here's the questions of what they need to know that they came up with. This led into their learning as the students were essentially driving what direction the learning takes us. We were able to even answer one of the questions that they came up with, which was, "What is erosion?" This inquiry based and problem based learning is a way to encourage and develop critical thinking. They came up with some great questions to help guide our learning! See the questions below!
In writing we've been learning about narrative writing and we will begin writing our narrative next week when we are back. We will go through the whole drafting process and revision process. So far we have mastered brainstorming techniques, prewriting strategies, how to develop our seed idea into a story, and adding in really great sensory description details.
In reading we have been delving into Reading Workshop and learning about strategies that great reader's use while reading like summarizing, retelling, and pulling out great vocabulary. In Math we have been working on even's and odds, skip counting, repeated addition, fact families, and some of us have been learning about multiplication already. We've been really getting down the system of math workshop and we greatly appreciate the volunteer help in our room. Thank you parents for your continued support inside and outside of our classroom!
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Making Connections (text to text), Mental Imaging while Reading, Story Mapping, Asking and Answering Questions, and Comparing and Contrasting Stories
Writing: Narrative Writing: Drafting and Revising
Language: Irregular Plural Nouns and Irregular Verbs
Science: Land Changes Over Time, Inquiry into Problem Solving
Theme: Genres, Folktales, and Fairytales!
Questions to ask your child...
- What is erosion?
- How many sides of a peninsula are touched by water?
- How could you tell that a number is even? odd?
- What does equal mean? How would you know that an equation is equal?
- What are some important parts of a narrative story?
- Can you name one strategy you could use for making equal groups?
- How did you supported your goal buddy throughout the week?
Over the Break Student Challenge!
Your mission...should you choose to accept it, is to head to 2 of these websites over break!
Please Note: It is Optional
- Tackle some problems on Front Row: See if you can earn over 100 coins!
- Try out typing using the home keys at Typing Dance Mat or Typing Ninja
- Work on your math facts on XtraMath, Pick a Path, or if you have an iPad try out Sushi Monster for free or the great game Operation Math (that one is $2.99 though, but it's a lot of fun!)
- Work on Language Arts on Scootpad
- Play around with making a poem on Magnetic Poetry
- Take a quiz on a book you read through Accelerated Reader
- Want to get off the computer and jump into a book? Head over with your parents to the North Natomas Public Library and borrow some free books
Have a great break!
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010