LVJHS Weekly Bulletin 12/04/2015
Dear LVJHS Family,
This was an exciting week on our campus. We had a school dance, art field trips, basketball games, and many other activities that took place here at LVJHS. All of these activities serve a common goal: Making a positive difference in the lives of our students. Barbara Mikulksi states: "Each one of us can make a difference. Together we make change." Making change in lives of our students unites us and gives us a common purpose that cannot be achieved in isolation. Our school dance would not happen without the support of our dedicated parents and staff. Our art field trips would not happen without the planning of Mrs. McCloskey and Mr. Berlanga, the support of parents, community, and other staff members. Basketball games require lots of preparation by our coaches working with the community. One parent told me recently: "This is such a special place, and it is so special because everyone cares about making a difference." I agree the those sentiments whole-heartedly, and I cannot thank all of you enough for making a difference in the lives of our students.
Thank you all for making LVJHS a great place for students!
La Vernia Junior High School
Please check out Lead4ward.com to check out some powerful learning tools. Visit the link below to see some awesome instructional strategies in the STAAR4ward section in the Lead4ward website. Use "learn2lead" in the password area.
Please check out the memory pegs link to learn how to increase student retention through the use of movement and association; Mr. Kosub will model how to use these at our next faculty meeting.
Ted Talk: Tony Wagner
Staff Spotlight: Mrs. Tamburo!
We are proud to announce Mrs. Tamburo as our staff spotlight for the week! Mrs. Tamburo demonstrates an incredible amount of commitment to her students and colleagues. Her doors are open every morning and during lunch for her students. Mrs. Tamboro demonstrates an incredible amount of patience and passion while working with children. She continually implements new and exciting strategies and ideas to encourage and motivate her students. We are very fortunate to have Mrs. Tamburo as an integral part of our school family! Congratulations Mrs. Tamburo!
Fundamental Five Focus...
The changing of teacher location in the classroom can improve both student engagement due to teacher proximity and give immediate insight to the teacher on individual student comprehension of the material being learned. Teacher proximity has been thought of as a classroom management technique, but can be a highly effective at increasing overall student achievement. The power zone allows the teacher to move and increase the effectiveness of their instruction.
Please take time to complete the Discipline Survey in Google Forms. We want your feedback on how we are serving our students and staff in the area of student discipline.
Coach Ashley Decorates for Holidays!
Second Nine Weeks at a Glance
- October 26, 22015: LVJHS Volleyball vs Mountain Valley (7th/8th grade @ HOME)
- October 29, 2015: LVJHS Football vs Pleasanton (7/8th grade @ HOME)
- Oct. 26, 2015 Beginning of Sem 1 Cycle 2 (2nd ) 9 week Grading Period
- Oct. 26, 2015 LVJHS vs Mountain Valley (7th/8th grade HOME) (Volleyball)
- Oct. 26-30, 2015 Red Ribbon Week
- Oct. 26-30, 2015 LVJHS Book Fair in the La Vernia Jr. High Library
- Oct. 27, 2015 PTO MEETING @ 9:00 am
- Oct. 28, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 1 (9wk) Report Card Issued
- Oct. 29, 2015 LVJHS vs Pleasanton 7th/8th grade @ HOME (Football)
- Oct. 29, 2015 PEP RALLY
- October 30, 2015: Early Release/Staff Development
- Nov. 1, 2015 LVJHS VB vs Gonzales @Gonzales (5:00PM)
- Nov. 16, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (3 wk) Progress Report Grades are DUE
- Nov. 17, 2015 PTO MEETNG @ 9:00am
- Nov. 18, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (3 wk) Progress Report Grades ISSUED
- Nov. 23-27, 2015 THANKSGIVING BREAK
- Dec. 14, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (6 wk) Progress Report Grades DUE
- Dec. 15, 2015 JH Band Concert
- Dec. 15, 2015 PTO MEETING @ 9:00am
- Dec. 16, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (6 wk) Progress Report Grades ISSUED
- Dec. 16, 2015 HISTORY FAIR
- DEC. 18, 2015 EARLY RELEASE/STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- DEC. 21-JAN 4 WINTER BREAK>>>HOLIDAY
- JAN. 4, 2015 STUDENT HOLIDAY; STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Jan. 11, 2015 School Board Meeting
- Jan. 15, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (9 wk) Report Card Grades are DUE
- Jan. 19, 2015 Semester 2 BEGINS
- Jan. 20, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (9 wk) Report Card ISSUED