Hamilton Boys' High School -Term 1, Edition 3, February 2019
New Boarders' Induction Activities Conclude with Rainbow's End, Families Dinner, Matthew Allen Cup & Hamilton BHS Swimming Sports
All 64 new boarders have the opportunity to take weekend leave for the first time in three weeks this weekend. They will all be looking forward to the comforts of home and being in familiar surroundings once again amongst family, friends as well as enjoying some home cooking.
All Staff, Prefects and Senior Leaders have been impressed with how the group has gelled and settled into the Argyle environment. We have all enjoyed and shared in the many induction activities that the boys have participated in over the past three weeks, to help us all get to know each other and to mix across all year levels.
Thanks to all Parents/Caregivers for coming along to the families dinner last Sunday and watching your son competing in the Matthew Allen Cup Swimming Sports afterwards. Seth Roe's Bennett House won the Swimming Sports overall by the smallest of margins.
DAVID SO, JUNIOR SWIMMING CHAMPION
Congratulations to David So, Year 9 (Hong Kong) for being crowned Junior Swimming Champion at our school Swimming Sports on Wednesday. David won three races in the Junior U14 age group, winning the 100m Backstroke, 100m Freestyle, 100m Breaststroke and was placed 6th in the Open 4 x 25m Medley. This gave David a total of 54 points, four points clear of his nearest rival.
David also set a new school record in the Junior 100m Breaststroke in a time of 1.17:12.
The entire hostel was cheering and chanting as David competed and there was a huge celebratory cheer as David was announced as Hamilton Boys' High School Junior Champion. Congratulations David.
FIRST SET LEAVE
The hostel closes at 5.30pm on Friday 22nd February and re-opens at 5.30pm on Sunday 24th February with all boys expected to return by 7.30pm, unless they are returning by 8.00am on Monday morning. There is no dinner provided for the boys on Sunday evening. Please ensure all boys have a leave request entered on Boardingware.
If you have a son boarding for the first time, we look forward to his safe return on Sunday evening.
Head of Boarding
021 516 477
Hamilton Boys' High School Swimming Sports, Wednesday 13th February:
David So (Year 9, Hong Kong) - Junior Swimming Champion
David about to start the 100m Backstroke final
End of the second length - mid-race
David finishes ahead of the other 5 swimmers to win the 100m Backstroke final
Joshua Baker (Year 9) about to start in the Junior 200m Freestyle Championship final
Joshua Baker mid-race
Joshua Baker finishes in 4th place, finishing in 8th place overall in the Junior Championship
The Non-Championship Swimming Sports Events for the Senior School:
Tuhoe Kake (Year 12) on the blocks
Dylan Belle (Year 12 Prefect) on the blocks
Argyle Year 13s seated awaiting instructions before swimming their 1 length freestyle
Kohei Shirai (Year 12) and Chris Chung (Year 12) about to exit the pool having finished their 1 length freestyle
Keran Van Staden (Year 11) having completed his 1 length freestyle
Blake Morgan (Year 13, Deputy Head Prefect) waiting for his fellow Argyle Year 13 swimmer to touch the wall
The Non-Championship Swimming Sports Events for the Junior School:
Year 9 Tabloids with Year 9 Sonninghill (Hamilton Girls' High School) Hostel, Monday 11th February
Hamiora Riki-Pahewa manages to just maintain his balance
Team building challenge
Carson Edwards and Maxwell Steel having a few problems staying connected
Rainbow's End, Saturday 9th February
In the back of the green carriage Duggie Valler (Year 9) sits next to Joeli Matalaweru (Year 13, Fiji) while Jack Broomfield (Year 10) is in the front seat
L-R: Nicholas Audas-Ryan (Year 13) and Ryoyu Tsunoda (Year 12, Japan)
L-R: Takeomi Nishiura (Year 13, Japan) sits next to Semisi Koroibuleka (Year 13, Fiji)
L-R: Jake Fannin (Year 9) and Sean Witters (Year 9)
Families Dinner & Matthew Allen Cup Swimming Sports, Sunday 10th February
Matthew Allen Cup Swimming - Bennett House Wins!
Year 9s relay: Sutherland wins
Year 10s relay: Sutherland wins
Year 11s relay: Bennett wins
Year 12s relay: Bennett wins
Year 13s relay: Bennett wins
Staff vs Parents vs Year 12 Prefects/Senior Leaders vs Year 13 Prefects/Senior Leaders
Matthew Allen Cup Swimming Sports Results: Bennett win overall 31 - 29
The competition is now locked up at 2 - 2, with Sutherland winning the Tabloids
School Links emails to Parents/Caregivers from Hamilton BHS
HBHS Athletics Sports - Wednesday, 27 February
Emailed to Parents/Caregivers Friday 15th February
Athletics Sports Porritt Stadium
Wednesday 27 February, 8.30am–2.35pm
We invite all parents to attend our annual athletics day at Porritt Stadium, on Crosby Road, Chartwell, Wednesday 27 February. Tea and coffee will be available throughout the day.
- Registration: Students are to make their own way to Porritt Stadium and report to their tutor group teacher in their House area before 8.30am. The first events commence at 8.50am. Please note that this is a very busy area of road and delays may be expected.
- Buses: Some school buses will be re-routed to Porritt Stadium (check with your driver). After the event, between 2.40pm-3:00pm, the buses that were rerouted in the morning pick the boys up at Porritt Stadium. Students who come to school may catch the anti-clockwise Orbiter bus to the Crosby Road stop and walk to the Stadium from there.
- Bikes: will be kept in a secure area and be supervised by staff throughout the day.
- Uniform: Full school uniform or official House or PE shirts with PE shorts is to be worn to and from Porritt Stadium. While participating in the events, PE uniform, House T-shirts, or House coloured T-shirts must be worn. Running shoes are recommended to be worn on the track (to avoid receiving blisters).
- Attendance is compulsory. The day offers all boys the opportunity to compete at a level that challenges them personally, and also earn points for their ‘House’ in a strongly contested House Competition. It is also a day to identify our elite athletes and for students of all abilities to compete in at least one jumping, throwing and sprint event, as well as relays.
- Expectations: If students are absent due to sickness parents must provide a note in the School Diary to the Tutor Teacher on the next school day of attendance.
- Finishing Time: The day will finish at approximately 2.35pm when students will be released. Parents are requested not to seek early release for their sons, except in the case of doctor’s appointments or emergencies.
- Sun: Please ensure your son has protection from the sun in the form of sunblock, a hat, sunglasses and clothing to cover up.
- Food: A canteen is available to buy lunch and drinks with EFTPOS available. No pizza or other takeaway deliveries or BBQs are permitted.
- Weather: If the weather is doubtful, please check the school website http://www.hbhs.school.nz/blog under school notices at 7.00am for cancellation. We will also send an email via school links.
- Belongings: Although we take every care to prevent loss of personal belongings, we urge students not to bring valuable items to Athletics.
Mr T Miller
HBHS App Update
Emailed to Parents/Caregivers Tuesday 12th February
Hamilton Boys' High School will be launching our Hamilton Boys' High School App in the next few weeks.
Once the app is complete, you will receive email instructions on where to find the app and your password to enter once you download the app.
The app will give you the opportunity to notify the school of absences, daily notices, school calendar, school newsletter, staff contact information, parent portal and many other helpful links and information.
Attached is an image of our new app for your information.
Hamilton Boys' High School has attached a .pdf file to this email:hbhs_school_app.pdf
HBHS Maths Buddy
Emailed to Parents/Caregivers Monday 11th February
Once again Hamilton Boys' High School parents and caregivers have been offered the opportunity to register for Maths Buddy at a heavily discounted price.
Maths Buddy is an online maths tutor that covers the entire NZ maths curriculum and is suitable for all students wanting to do additional maths revision or extension independently.
See https://www.mathsbuddy.co.nz/ for more details.
Cost: $26 for the year.
Payment: Please pay at the school shop or online. You MUST state the student's name and "Maths Buddy" in the reference section.
Date: Payment must be made by Wednesday, February 20th 2019. No late payments can be accepted.
Please note that login details will not be available until Wednesday, February 27th 2019.
HBHS Parents' Association AGM
The published date for the Parents' Association AGM is incorrect.
This is now being held on Wednesday, 20 February, at 7.00pm in the Staffroom.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
HBHS Mobile Dental Unit
The Mobile Dental Unit will be based at Hamilton Boys' High School again this year between Monday 18 February and Friday 26 April.
Please find attached a letter outlining the services provided. The letter asks you to email the Mobile Dental Unit co-ordinator to indicate whether or not you wish to take up this offer.
Hamilton Boys' High School has attached a .pdf file to this email:hbhs_advice_of_....pdf
Defensive Driving with Evolve Driver Training
Emailed to Parents/Caregivers Tuesday 5th February
Defensive Driving with Evolve Driver Training - Courses for Term 1 are as follows:-
Monday, 11 Feb (11, 14, 18 & 21 Feb)
Monday 11 March (11, 14, 18 & 21 March)
Holiday course - starting 15 April 2019 (15, 18, 22 & 25 Apr)
Register on Evolve website: www.evolvedrivers.co.nz
Our two Argyle House Parent Representatives for you to contact about any hostel matters
Mrs Shay-Lee Wylie (Te Kuiti)
Feel free to contact me by email firstname.lastname@example.org