DOLPHIN DIGEST 3/2/20
Community Newsletter for Arleta School
Traducción disponible Vaya al final del boletín y haga clic en el botón de traducción.
Dịch có sẵn Chuyển xuống cuối bản tin và nhấp vào nút dịch.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Mar. 2-6: Classified Staff Appreciation Week
- Mar. 2: Bread Day | 2:30
- Mar. 5: Middle School-Only Movie Night | 6pm, Cafeteria
- Mar. 6: First Grade Parade
- Mar. 7: OBOB Tournament
- Mar. 10: PTA meeting | 6pm in the Library
- Mar. 12: Volunteer Day at PTA Clothing Closet
- Mar. 13: Kinder School Tour | 8:30am
- Mar. 13: FREE Family Movie Night | 6pm
- Mar. 14: Spring Spruce Up of Arleta Grounds | 9am-noon
- Mar. 19: SUN School Term Ends
- Mar. 20: Kinder School Tour | 8:30am
- Mar. 23-27: Spring Break - No School
- Mar. 27: DINE-OUT at Fried Egg I'm in Love | 8am-4pm
- April 26: SAVE THE DATE - Spring Thing: Grown-ups only (FUN)draiser for Arleta | 4-7pm
STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK - MARCH 2 - 6
BLACK HISTORY MONTH AT ARLETA
JOIN THE NEW PRINCIPAL INTERVIEW PANEL
PPS is seeking interested volunteers to serve on the school/community based interview panel for our Principal hiring process. Selected members will be expected to be present for the entirety of the interview session, which includes training, review of the process, and debrief at the end. Interviews of Principal candidates will be held at the PPS District Office on Monday, March 9, 2020. Expect about a 5 hour commitment, from 4:00 to 9:00pm.
Please use the following link to access the School-based Principal Hiring Process Committee Nomination Form if you are interested in applying to be a part of the Interview Panel: Nomination Form
SECURITY ENHANCEMENT AT MAIN DOOR
Arleta has a new security enhancement that will be active starting Monday, March 9. Visitors wishing to enter the main building will need to utilize the new kiosk to activate a button that alerts the secretaries requesting access to the building. The secretaries will be able to see the visitor on a monitor and remotely unlock door. Staff with an ID badge will be able to swipe their badge and enter without alerting the secretaries. The system is almost exactly the same as the system on the annex door. The doors will remain open during the time students arrive to classes in the morning and during dismissal in the afternoon but locked the rest of the day. For now, the doors will be open for evening events but there may be some refinements to the process for evening use as time goes on.
We know this change will be challenging for some and undoubtedly there will be glitches to work out but the added security for our students and staff are well worth the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience as we implement the change.
There are several volunteer opportunities to welcome you out of hibernation! Volunteers play an essential role in leading community-building activities, supporting enrichment opportunities at the school and representing Arleta to our broader community. Read on for upcoming volunteer opportunities.
And, shout out to Arleta's staff that make our school run smoothly and support our students in learning everyday! Happy Classified Staff Appreciation Week!
Thank you for supporting the Arleta PTA!
OBOB TOURNAMENT NEEDS VOLUNTEERS!
Please join us as a volunteer! You don't need to have a student in middle school or participating in OBOB to come. This is a great opportunity for parents and students to volunteer together and show the visiting families how great Arleta is. We still need help selling concessions and for adult/student teams to support a battle room. The adult will be assisting our moderators to keep score (Principal Horn and many other fantastic Arleta staff and teachers!) and students will act as runners delivering scores and messages between your battle room and our control room. No experience is necessary - we will provide training and student runners will receive a free Arleta OBOB t-shirt. Sign up here and please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR CLOTHING CENTER ON MARCH 12
The Portland PTA Council Clothing Center provides clothing for PPS students in need. Each school is assigned two days a year to assist with sorting donations and helping students and their family pick out clothes. Arleta's second day is coming up on March 12th from 9:30 to 1:30 at Marshall (Madison) High School campus (3905 SE 91st Ave). We need 5-6 people who can volunteer. Please email ArletaSchoolPTA@gmail.com if you're able to volunteer for any or all of the time on March 12th.
Here is a link to the clothing center site for more information.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS FOR PTA NOMINATING COMMITTEE
GARDEN CLUB SPRING SPRUCE UP - MARCH 14
This is a great opportunity to spend time helping the community, getting to know neighbors, and learning more about our school! You don’t have to be a current Arleta family to participate. We love to see our neighbors and past/future families come out to lend a hand!
Come out March 14, 9am-noon, bring your work gloves (if you have ‘em) and help the Garden Club get the school grounds and garden ready for the spring season. No gardening experience needed and the whole family is welcome! Snacks and beverages will be provided.
Questions? Please contact the Garden Club on Facebook or at email@example.com
APRIL 26 - SAVE THE DATE!
AMAZON WISH LIST FOR TEACHERS & STAFF
Throughout the school year, supplies are consumed and new needs arise. That’s why Arleta now has an Amazon Wish List of items added by teachers and staff. Please consider adding an item or two when you do your regular Amazon shopping. And when you use Amazon Smile and link your Amazon account to Arleta School PTA, Amazon will also donate 0.5% of your total purchase (at no additional cost to you)! Questions – email ArletaSchoolPTA@gmail.com
Link to Wish List is: https://smile.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3S713LRBVHEI6
And instructions can be found here: http://www.arletapta.org/ways-to-help---join.html
NO COST WAYS TO SUPPORT ARLETA
The Arleta PTA participates in THREE no-cost shopping rewards programs - Fred Meyer Community Rewards, AmazonSmile and Bottle Drop.
1. By linking your Fred Meyer Rewards card to the Arleta PTA and scanning your rewards card when you shop, a percentage of your purchase goes to the PTA. Sign up here. (And you'll still get your cash back rewards!)
2. Amazon has a similar program, called AmazonSmile. Select "Arleta School PTA" as your charitable organization to receive donations when you shop Amazon. Once you sign up, just go to smile.amazon.com to do your usual Amazon shopping. While there is no app, you can create a shortcut on your phone by going to smile.amazon.com in your browser, tap the Share button, then tap Add to Homescreen.
3. Donate your redeemable cans and bottles to Arleta through Bottle Drop. Grab a blue bag from the school office and FILL it up then take it to a Bottle Drop site, OR email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will come pick it up. (Arleta pays a fee for the bags, so let's fill them to the top!)