uNity begins with U
NHS Texan Counseling Newsletter 2020-21
Meet the Counselors
September 30: SmartTrack College Funding Webinar (Flyer below)
September 28-October 9: Senior Meetings with Counselors
October 9: End of 1st Quarter and Early Release Day
October 13: New Student Lunch-invitation to be emailed by your counselor
October 14: SAT/PSAT/TSIA/ASVAB Testing Day
October 19: NISD College Con and Career Fair (Flyer below)
November 23-28: Student/Staff Holiday
Welcome New Texans!
New students and parents, we are glad to have you here! We know there can be many unknowns when starting a new school year in a new school. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your counselor with your questions. Please check your email for upcoming events and invitations.
Ready for School
- Counselors will be providing Classroom Guidance to Seniors to go over applying for college and requesting transcripts
- Senior Meetings (individual guidance with your counselor) start in October
- Apply to 3-5 colleges
- Request transcripts through Parchment
- See Senior Checklist under flyers
- Research potential career options and/or college majors in Major Clarity
- Prepare for SAT and ACT
- Go to college fairs and college-preparation presentations by college representatives
- Take the PSAT in October. You must take the test in 11th grade to qualify for scholarships and programs associated with the National Merit Scholarship Program. This is also the qualifying test for the National Achievement and the National Hispanic Scholar Recognition Program
- If you are not involved in extracurricular activities it is time to look at clubs/organizations. Try volunteering. Take leadership roles in your activities
- Study and solidify your GPA. Your transcript with GPA and class rank and the end of your junior year will be the transcript sent when you apply to colleges
- Explore Major Clarity to determine your strengths and what you're looking for in your college experience.
- If you are not involved in extracurricular activities it is time to look at clubs/organizations. Try volunteering. Take leadership roles in your activities.
- Study and solidify your GPA. Your transcript with GPA and class rank and the end of your junior year will be the transcript sent when you apply to colleges.
Ready for College
NISD College Fair is Virtual!
On the NISD Fair Day (October 19th) you will have the opportunity to communicate LIVE with college reps during these times: 9-11 AM, 1-3 PM, and 6-8 PM (and/or at 6-8 PM on Thursday October 22nd during the all-access time.)
Visit this Google Site for registration and more information: NISD College Fair Info
FAFSA website: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
Ready for Life
Social and Emotional Learning
NISD SEL Focus: Self-Awareness
Lessons and practice will be given during iNvest times.
This month's focus on Self-Awareness included a guidance lesson on Suicide Awareness. Please see the Learn to ACT flyer below for more information.