Ram Nation News
Week of March 26, 2018
We continue to make great strides toward transformation and our vision of cultivating scholars to be change agents, life-long learners, and innovators.
In the next 2 weeks, some of our students will be taking the STAAR mock test for various subjects and this data will be critical to support us in making plans to address the needs of individual students or groups. Also, on April 10th and April 11th, our 7th and 8th grade students will have the opportunity to show what they have learned for the past months. Although we will not have the results until a few weeks later, we know that this is the time when we will reap the fruits of our careful, detailed, and arduous preparation of our students. We know that 6th and 7th grade math/reading and 8th grade science/social studies testing is also around the corner; therefore,
IMPLEMENT with fidelity the five practices that yield improvement in schools:
· Laser-like focus on what students need to learn
· Collaborate on how to teach content, map curriculum and design lessons
· Use results of classroom formative data to measure student progress
· Find patterns in data and use them to improve instruction
· Build relationships so that students trust teachers and teachers trust administrators
collaborate with grade level teachers, teachers assistants, and other teachers who support for RTI to ensure we are addressing students’ needs based on STAAR release, Common Assessments, classroom performance, and DOLs.
MOTIVATE students - we know that some students are self-motivated, with a natural love of learning; however, many others need your magic. We know that a great teacher can make learning fun and inspire them to reach their full potential. Let's encourage our students, get them involved, offer incentives, be creative, and make connections to real life.
- Ms. Guerra, Ms. Gogia, Ms. Addison, Mr. Willis, and Ms. Herrera for all the support and dedication during the TELPAS online testing. It was a smooth testing environment!!!
- Ms. Baker, Ms. A. Perez, and Mr. Willis for their dedication and support as they chaperone our students to El Centro college as part of the 7th grade AVID class. Our students continue to be exposed to higher education and are able to see that it is possible for them to go to college.
- Ms. Stripling, Mr. King, Ms. Molla, Mr. Guillory, Ms. Perez, Ms. Brown, Ms. Rocha, Mr. Patel, Mr. Salcido (visiting teacher), Ms. Carroll, Ms. Vasquez, Ms. Wells, Mr. Ramirez, Ms. Herrera, Ms. McGee, Ms. Vargas, Ms Bickford, Mr. Harris, Ms. Ingram, Ms. Iberosi and Ms. Davis for their dedication, commitment, and support as they attended Saturday School providing small group support as they addressed low TEKS and areas of improvement and/or led students in the UIL academic competition. I know students were engaged and grateful for having your support.
- Ms. Trent and Ms. Maloy for their commitment as they gave up part of their Saturday to set up for pull out groups.
- Ms. Buitron, Coach Ford, Mr. Harris, and Ms. Michael as they are leading and supporting our students in the softball and baseball season. Our students continue to learn the game and grow as a team.
- Mr. Patel for continuing to provide opportunities for our kids to learn from other cultures to provide global awareness. We had several students from SMU who visited his class and other classrooms to share their experiences.
- Ms. Woods for her leadership and coordination of the Fast Track ACP. I know that our students worked hard and are doing what a few kids have done before ; they are only about 10 weeks away from completing two academic years in one. We look forward to seeing those results. Shout out to Mr. Thornton, Mr. Johnson, Ms. Brown, and Ms. Vargas for their commitment and support as they have been preparing our kids.
provides feedback and support to individual students and groups as she walks around aggressively monitoring students' work.
works with students in small groups supporting them in internalizing concepts and addressing academic gaps.
works with students to demonstrate their learning; in this particular situation, one of our students models his annotations.
7th grade writing
As part of the initiatives to motivate students in the writing classes, Ms. Davis coordinated a competition among Ms. Perez, Ms. Brown, and Ms. Rocha. Each teacher selected a winning writing composition: Jacqueline Carrera, Katie Kha, and Noe Perez. After carefully reading and scoring the writing, Jacqueline's piece won and she received a $25 gift card. This is a great way to create healthy competition as students gave their very best!
Under Ms. Buchannon's leadership, our students attended a field trip sponsored by Big Thought to the Studio Movie Grill. Our students read the novel A Wrinkle in Time in preparation to this movie; they had a lot of fun!!! The students who participated were selected as they were a part of the summer bridge camp back in July. Shout out to Ms. Calderon and Ms. Cooray for supporting with chaperoning our students.
Teachers participated in the campus needs assessment (CNA) to review the first draft of input and have an opportunity to give feedback in an area in which they may not have previously done so. Everyone had a great disposition and provided actionable steps to improve as an organization.
7th grade writing
Monday, March 26-
Open Transfer application is available through March 30. See below for more specific details
STAAR Online training continues this week - Ms. Buitron
TELPAS reading make-ups in the morning and TELPAS listening and speaking make-ups in the afternoon.
Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 6th Grade SS, 7th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 7th / 8th Grade RLA. Refer to the Planning Expectations to ensure your IPC and LP have the components to reach proficiency
11:15 - 2:00 - Actionable Data Walk - Visit and collaboration with Ms. Healey.
- 4:40 - 5:45 LPAC Meeting in the main office conference room. Department Chairs will meet in library. Grade level chairs will meet in room 103. Other teachers will use this time to complete STAAR Test Administrator Training Modules
- 5:45 - Baseball game - Ms. Michael / Mr. Harris.
Tuesday, March 27-
- TELPAS reading make-ups in the morning and TELPAS listening and speaking make-ups in the afternoon
- Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 7th Grade SS, 6th/8th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 6th Grade RLA.
- 1:30 - 4:30 Teaching Trust Session at TT office - Ms. Michael/Ms. Lewis
- 4:30-6:00 Tutoring sessions continue
- 6:00 - 8:00 Job Fair at Conrad HS - Selected Members
Wednesday, March 28-
- 9:00 - 10:00 Coffee with the Principal - Location TBD (Library, 117, or 111 depending on small group areas being used)
- 8th grade and 7th grade PreAP Science Assessment (3 hours)
- 6th Grade Science Field Trip to the Arboretum - Selected students - Ms. Cooray
- Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 8th Grade SS, 7th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 7th / 8th Grade RLA.
- Salad Feast - Staff Luncheon - See Ms. Brown for more details.
- 4:30-6:00 Tutoring sessions continue
Thursday, March 29-
- 8th grade Social Studies Assessment (3 hours)
- 4:30 - 6:00 After School
- 5:00 Lesson Plans Due
- 6:00 City Track Meet - Coach DeLeon/Ms. Rendon
Friday, March 30-
- Inclement Weather - NO School
Saturday, March 31
- NO Saturday School.
Based on feedback received, I am sharing as many dates/events for the month of April as possible to ensure appropriate planning is taking place.
- 6th grade math testing
- 6th grade RLA testing
April 4 -
- DISD MS Band Pre-UIL Concert at Ann Richards MS
- 8th Grade STAAR Math
- 7th Grade STAAR Writing
- 6th Grade STAAR Camp
- 8th Grade STAAR Reading
- 7th Grade PreAP- STAAR Math
- 6th Grade STAAR Camp
April 12 - April 13
- 7th Grade Reading CA during class
- 6th and 7th Grade Social Studies CA during class
- Positive Coaching Alliance in collaboration with NDHS - Athletic workshop. Auditorium 2:30-4:25.
- Dallas ISD Large Scale Job Fair at Ellis Davis Field House
Week of April 16
- STAAR Parent Meetings 6th and 7th grade - Grade Level chair will confirm exact time, date, and needs to support a successful parent meeting.
- MS Non-Varsity UIL Concert at Cedar Hill HS
- Academic Pentathlon - Ms. Brown
- Student Experience Survey - Refer to the memo regarding maintaining integrity of these surveys
STAAR Training - Online Modules
Summer School Teacher Application
Please, see Mr. Cordoba if you have any questions or need clarification about summer sessions.