Carver Middle School Newsletter
May 16, 2021
Greetings Carver Cougars,
As you are aware, SOL testing is here. Please take a moment to read our newsletter this week for key SOL testing updates and other key updates. Our monthly PTA meeting has been re-scheduled for next Monday, May 24 at 6:30 pm. Please join us if you are available. Also, the YMCA is sponsoring a community conversation to support students who are struggling with mental health concerns tomorrow at 6:30 on zoom. Please see the flyer below to join.
Thank you for your continued support and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Congratulations Ms. IZO! Linda Szwabowski Award winner for Novice Foreign Language Teacher!
Cayden Bivens 6th/7th Grade Student of the Year!
Samuel Adalbert 8th Grade Student of the Year!
SOL Testing & Calendar
Monday starts our SOL Testing Season. This is a reminder and needed information for parents who opted to participate.
If your child is a Virtual learner at this time and you will be providing transportation, the arrival time is 8:00am. When your student has completed the test they will be allowed to call home and will wait for you in the Auditorium. Please come in to sign your child out with a valid driver's license. If you stated you'll need transportation before the deadline please be at the designated area for pick up.
All testing days we will follow the No Paws schedule
Mon May 17- 8th grade Virtual students will take the Reading SOL Regular Block schedule
Tues May 18- 6th grade in person students will test. Carver students will follow 2, 4, 3,1 block schedule for the school day.
Wed May 19 7th grade in person students will test. Regular Block schedule
Thurs May 20 8th grade in person students will test. Regular Block schedule
Fri May 21 6th/7th grade Virtual students will test. Regular Block schedule
Click on this link to view the Calendar Testing Calendar
Another Reminder will be sent on Sunday May 23rd to inform you of the upcoming week's testing schedule to ensure transparency of any changes or updates.
Thank you for your patience and support during this busy testing session.
Virtual student who choose to test should report to school at 8:00 am. Parents will be called to pick up their students. Valid identification is required to pick up students.
- May 17- 20- Reading SOLs
- May 19- Boys Soccer Championships
- May 20- Girls Soccer Championships
- May 24- PTA Meeting, Zoom; 6:30 pm
- May 24- Boys Track & Field County Championships Meadowbrook HS (Track events 12:30; Field Events 4:00)
- May 25 - Girls Semifinals at Meadowbrook HS (5:30 and 7:30)
- May 25 - Boys Semifinals at Matoaca HS (5:30 and 7:30)
- May 26- Girls Track & Field County Championships Meadowbrook HS (Track events 12:30; Field Events 4:00)
- May 27 - Girls and Boys Basketball Finals at Matoaca HS (5:30 Girls and 7:30 Boys)
- May 31- No school. Student & staff holiday.
Carver MS PTA Meeting
Monday, May 24th, 6:30pm
This is an online event.
Anthony McLaurin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Carver MS PTA Meeting
Time: May 24, 2021 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 925 5213 1266
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Thomas Dale Knightettes Dance Team
Future Thomas Dale Knights who are interested in auditioning for the TDHS dance team may complete the: Knightettes dance team audition form
Good luck future Knightettes!
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
For the 2021-22 regular school year, any resident student seeking one additional course through CCPS Online will be granted a full fee waiver upon request. This is a change. Registration for summer courses is underway. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Health & PE 9 Online
Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23.
Carver MS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Celebrate Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month!
May is Jewish American Heritage Month!
During May of 2021, we will also acknowledge the contributions of Jewish Americans. Please encourage your Cougar to see the following site to learn more about the impact of Jewish Americans on the history of our Nation. https://www.jewishheritagemonth.gov/
CCPS Virtual Learning
Please use the links below for details and to register your child for the Virtual Learning Academy for the 2021-2022 school year. Applications are due June 1, 2021
2021 CCPS Fine Arts Festival!
When you see the work that our students have done in a virtual world, you will see creativity, passion, hope, and communication.
We want to say thank you to all of our artists, performers, and teachers for coming together as a united team to bring light and joy into our lives. We know this was a different way to share the arts, but we hope this positive representation will help to reinforce the importance of the arts in our community whether we are live or virtual.
Carver MS Free Little Pantry
Carver MS Free Little Pantry!
Please use the Carver MS Amazon Smile Link to provide direct donations to our community!
Thanks Carver Cougars!
Return to Learning Updates
Buses and car riders will begin arriving at the school building at 7:10 AM. The plan is to begin allowing students into the school building at this time (7:10 AM). A member of the team will be outside at both locations to make sure everyone knows when it is time to begin entering the building.
In order to dismiss in a safe and socially distanced manner, we will have three waves (Wave 1 (1:55) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters A-K, Wave 2 (2:00 PM) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters L-Z, and all of our students riding the school bus (2:05 PM).
Families who are picking students up – please do me the favor of being in the parent pick up loop at the appropriate time. I would ask that parents/families who are picking up in Wave 1 to begin arriving at 1:45 PM. Parents/families who are picking up students in Wave 2, please do not arrive at the school building until 1:55 PM. We will do our very best to make this a smooth process for everyone, but we know it will be a learning curve. We ask for your patience as we work to get the process more efficient during this first week.
3. Safety and Social Distancing
- We will not use lockers
- Students will be socially distanced in the hallways
- Students will be socially distanced when waiting on a bus or a car ride in the afternoon
- Masks are required at all times
- Shields are required when students are within 6 feet of one another in classrooms
- The daily health assessment – it is important that students do not come to school if they are not feeling well.
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Wells Athletic Association
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.4794 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!