September 29, 2014
Whatever your present situation, view change as the one constant thing. Welcome it, expect it and anticipate it.
News to Roar About
- Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our teachers for the OUTSTANDING job you did to prepare for conferences! The parents were so positive about their shared time with you!! You are an amazing group of professionals!
- Jennifer Samples for covering the phones late for conferences.
- Kathy Schmidt for arranging for providing so much Dot Day fun and for the great Mariner Museum visit with 4th grade via Skype. The students learned so much and had a very engaging learning experience. We love all of our Skype experiences with you!
- Fourth grade teachers for all of your preparation of your students for the Skype Museum visit. You did a super job of role playing your characters in the adventure.
- Kishina Woolfolk on being selected as a GCPS Teacher of the Year Semi-Finalist! We are proud of you!
- Thank you Vicki and Gina for jumping in to help clear the overflow in the Bookroom. You are the best!
- Special Areas teachers for the meaningful dialogue in test talks. You offered great insights and observations to our school-wide data. Thank you for your time!
Chris Rogers - what an awesome lesson to teach young children how to blog!
Thank you Debbie Davis for the great staff development for the Paras!
Marcy Florey for diving in with technology!
Jennifer Dalton & Debbie Davis for supporting new staff. You guys are the best!
Lea Sirmans for helping her new neighbor get settled.
Thanks to Theresa Emmett for trying new technology with her students. Way to go!
- Thanks to Kristin Smith for working together on technology coaching for a great project.
- Mike Stanton for having your students so well prepared for student-led conferences! They were quite impressive! Thank you for the many ways you encourage leadership!
- Donna Hargrave, Kellie Stewart and Amie Gravitt for sharing your class with us in Leadership Academy. The students did a super job!
- To all of our teachers who opened their classrooms to one another for peer observations. We are all better when we collaborate and learn together!
- Minh and Nicole for organizing the Nacho Bar lunch for us! Yum!
- Office staff for a great planning session!
- Trisha and Kishina for your great tech coaching sessions this week!
- Curriculum Coaches for your instructional leadership! We appreciate all of your contributions to the work at Harbins!
- Support Team for another excellent planning session. Your leadership is exceptional!
Mr. Hunter's Visit
- Implement reading and writing workshop
- Provide Guided Math instruction
- Provide rigorous work
- Require students to explain their learning
- Integrate digital content into instruction
- Implement BYOD/Use of eCLASS Tools
All things you do every day, but wanted you to know the highlights he looks for in his walk throughs. In other words, he wants to see firsthand the great teaching and learning in your classroom that happens every day!
Our next faculty meeting will be on September 30 from 3:20-4:30. READ Chapter 2 of our staff book study, Putting the Practices Into Action by Susan O'Connell and John SanGiovanni. You may want to read Chapter 1 for background knowledge, only Chapter 2 is required for our meeting. Bring your book to the meeting with you.
Chick-fil-A Biscuits sales on Wednesday!
Teacher Grants at the Silent Auction
BYOD Visitation Day is Coming Quickly!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
ITBS TESTING MEETING:
When: Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Who: 2nd, 3rd, 5th, Sped, & Support
As a reminder, we are adding 2nd grade to list of grade levels participating in the administration of ITBS next month. In order to support classrooms with proctors, we will need all staff members to be flexible with availability and participation in testing, proctoring and make-ups. Thanks in advance for your support and flexibility.
Bus Passes for Students
Interested in Tutoring?
There will be a Celebration of Learning on Friday, November 7th at 7:20 a.m. Breakfast will be provided for tutoring students, their parents, teachers and tutors.
Salary: Daily rate of $30 per hour for 5 days. Checks will be issued on the December paycheck.
Contact Paula if you are interested.
- Welcome to Tama Henrikson who will serve as our part-time math specials teacher. She will be in the room next to Debbie Davis. She will start her preplanning on Tuesday. Carrie Spiers will teach math specials while Tama has her preplanning time. Many of you may remember Tama as she student taught with Aline Harrington a couple of years ago.
Report Card Timeline
Digital Tools/Resources on the SLDS
If you elect to be a part of this, the dues are $25. You will receive a "Jeans Pass" that can be used any day of the week if you choose to participate. If you are in a position that can't wear jeans, you will receive an "Ice Cream Coupon". The deadline for participating in and paying the dues will be October 1st. This can be done by using MyPaymentsPlus, writing a check or paying cash. One person from each grade level/group should collect the money and complete a monies collected form. If someone pays by cash, the person collecting the money will need to check out a receipt book and write a receipt since it is over $10.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Media Center News
For updates on what is going on in the Media Center check out our Media Center Smore:
Updates on Dot Day, Story Time themes, chances to connect and collaborate and more!
Grade Level Professional Learning
- October 1- Tool Time
- October 2- Grade Level- Math Professional Learning
- October 6- 3rd Grade Collaborative Planning- full day- Prof Dev Room
- October 8- 5th Grade Collaborative Planning- full day- Prof Dev. Room
- October 8- Grade Level Business
- October 9- Visitation Day 1
- October 9- Grade Level Business
- October 10- 2nd Grade Collaborative Planning-full day- Prof Dev Room
- October 15 - 1st Grade Collaborative Planning-full day- Prof Dev Room
- October 16 - Grade Level- Literacy Professional Learning
Required Compliance Training
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on October 7th from 1:15- 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read Chapter 2 of Change Leader for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.