Pleasant View Elementary Flyer
Friday, November 19, 2021
Dear PVE Families
Thank you to everyone who donated to our Veterans Day Project. Our Student Ambassadors will be packing up the donations next week, and a staff member will deliver the food packs to the HVAF on behalf of PVE. We will provide an update after the Thanksgiving Holiday on how many food packages we were able to provide. Thank you for your generosity, and for partnering with us to help others in need - not just this week, but last week as well!
More Important Information:
- PVE Spirit Wear Sale Ends 11/21/21- Check out the awesome cold weather spirit wear items in the section below. There are great ideas for Holiday gifts! On sale now through November 21st, with an option to ship to your home.
- PVE PTO Directory - The directory is finished and will be emailed out by PVE PTO to families before the Thanksgiving Holiday.
- New PTO Adopt PVE Staff Opportunity- Please see the section below regarding a new way to serve PVE staff members this Holiday Season. PTO is looking for parents to sign-up to be a Group Giving Organizer for a staff member, or a group of staff members at PVE. Please see the section below for more details and how to sign-up!
- PVE "My Favorite Things" Staff List - Please see the PTO Giving Section below for those who would like to know some of the staff member's favorite things for holiday shopping.
- Thanksgiving Holiday - No School: Wednesday, 11/24 - Sunday, 11/28
I truly hope that you and family will have a wonderful weekend, and Thanksgiving Holiday. Please note that we do have school Monday, 11/22 & Tuesday, 11/23, but we are closed Wednesday, 11/24 - Sunday, 11/28. Please expect our next edition of the Pleasant View Elementary Flyer to be sent on Friday, 12/3/21.
All the Best,
Dr. Stacy Smith - Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17999
PTO Food Drive Success
Ladies and gentlemen,
It is wonderful to see our shelves and storage full to overflowing again. Items we have not been able to provide because of store limits are now in abundance!
The way Tackle Hunger works, and has worked for over 25 years, is incredible. From admin to the bus drivers, from principals to parents, from food drive leaders to the winning class, to the upperclassmen who carry it all, the message is clear. We’re here to provide food for those in our community who need it.
Even last year in the midst of a pandemic, PVE generously provided! This year is no different!
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all! We will be able to provide above and beyond thru the winter months because of your generosity.
Zionsville Food Pantry
70th Day of School
Upcoming Events & Dates
November 23 - Kdg Friendship Feast, 1st Grade Beast Feast, 2nd Grade Thankful Day, 3rd Grade Vocabulary Day, and 4th Grade Idiom Day
November 24-26 - Thanksgiving Break (no school)
December 6-17 - NWEA testing window
December 14 - PTO Meeting via Zoom at 7pm
December 17 - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1
December 20-31 - Winter Break (no school)
January 3 - Students return from break; 1st day of second semester
January 17 - MLK Jr. Day (no school)
January 18 - Teacher professional development day (no school for students)
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 21-25 - Presidents' Day/February Break (no school)
March 15 - End of Quarter 3
April 1-8 - Spring Break (no school)
May 25 - Last day of school
May 26- June 3 - Make up days (if needed)
May 30 - Memorial Day (no school)
PTO Options for Giving this Season
The PTO is excited, to be able to help you with your Holiday shopping! You can either shop on your own by clicking the My Favorite Things link below for ideas, or choose to participate in a group gift. We also need parents who are willing to be Group Giving Organizer. Please see the sign-up below if you are interested in serving in that capacity.
If you would like to help organize a group gift for a PVE staff member or group of staff members, click the link below to sign-up.
As requested by many families, there is a new PVE My Favorite Things list below to assist those families who want to purchase something for a staff member, and would like some ideas!
Thank you so much for all your support to us and the school! If you have any questions just let us know!
PVE PTO Exec Board
Candice Fritts, Annette England, Laura Mobley, and Shannon Barron
PVE Winter Spirit Wear Sale - Now through November 21st
Holiday Assistance Information
As we approach the holiday season, we are aware that members of our school community may be seeking assistance to provide for their families. We have been working with a number of agencies to assist in connecting families with ongoing and/or holiday support for food, clothing, and financial assistance. Please contact our school counselors, Natalie Rieke & Tammy Mazelin, if we can offer any assistance in connecting your family with a support agency.
Please note the following agencies provide a variety of assistance for families. Please contact the agencies directly for a full list of services:
- Hours 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri (765) 482-6144 https://www.loveincbc.org/
- Love, Inc. provides short term assistance and education services supported by numerous Boone County Churches
Zionsville Food Pantry – Serving all of Boone County
- Located at Zionsville Presbyterian Church, (317) 873-6503.
The Caring Center
- 1230 Ransdell Ct., Lebanon, IN 46052 (765) 482-2020. Visit www.thecaringcenter.net for additional information. Assistance with holiday food baskets, Christmas gifts, Thanksgiving meals.
Boone County Toy Drive
- (765) 482-4641. Provides assistance with toys and gifts for children and teens.
Help 4 Hoosiers
- Offers a variety of resources. https://www.help4hoosiers.org/
- Families can access resources by calling 211 directly or visiting https://in211.communityos.org/
Food Assistance Availability Map https://www.in.gov/fssa/dfr/food-assistance-availability-map/?fbclid=IwAR0qdNVKD-Dsxkn0_tAd2Bk5_PJo_newqBp1-qCcSiKFkGflBLtxXeTGqOQ
Feeding Indiana’s Hungry https://feedingindianashungry.org/find-your-food-bank/
PVE Counselors' Corner
Second Step Update
Second Step is a research based social emotional learning curriculum. Each week a 30 minute lesson during their “Strong Steps” time is devoted to strengthening these skills.
This week was Lesson Twelve. The lessons this week focused on emotion management.
- Kindergarten and 1st graders learned to use physical clues in their body to identify their feelings and to identify a grown-up to talk to when they feel worried.
- 2nd and 3rd graders learned how to use the first two Calming Down steps in response to scenarios. Using a stop signal and naming your feeling are the first two steps.
- 4th graders focused on identifying situations in which they might need to calm down. They practiced deep, centered breathing and other ways to calm down such as counting, using positive self-talk.
There is a home link for kindergarten and fourth grade this week. Below are the home link activities if you would like to work with your student on an extension activity together!
Kindergarten Home Links
Tammy Mazelin PVE K-2 School Counselor email@example.com
Natalie Rieke PVE 2-4 School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to the 1:1 Computer Program at the Middle Schools - Fall of 2022
During the November 8 board meeting, ZCS school board members approved an updated 1:1 technology plan. Beginning in the fall next year (2022-2023 school year), Zionsville Middle School (ZMS) and Zionsville West Middle School (ZWMS) will be using a staggered approach to transition into a 1:1 rental program that will eliminate the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). *These changes will only affect the current 4th grade class (class of 2030), students who are incoming 5th graders next year at ZMS and ZWMS.*
How it works.
Current 4th grade students (Class of 2030) will be required to rent a Lenovo 11e from ZCS for the start of their 5th grade year in 2022. Students in grades 6-8 will maintain their BYOD status for the 2022 school year so as not to interfere with already purchased devices. All current middle school students who started with BYOD will have the option to maintain BYOD status throughout their middle school years. The chart below shows the staggered approach over the next four years as we transition out of BYOD and into this new rental program.
For more details about this change, including financing, please visit the following
If you have questions, reach out to Dan Layton at email@example.com.
CoVID Quarantine Update
Governor Eric Holcomb’s executive order changes the quarantine requirements for those masked individuals considered close contacts to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19. ZCS will continue to follow our district mask mandate, but effective immediately, anyone identified as a close contact in a masked setting is no longer required to quarantine (as long as the close contact is symptom-free).
Masked School Settings:
In settings, such as classrooms or on the school bus, where all students are wearing masks, close contacts who are within three feet of positive case will be notified to monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Those students will continue in school as long as no symptoms develop. If symptoms develop, students must isolate and obtain testing whether or not fully vaccinated.
Unmasked School Settings:
Close contacts within six feet of a positive case and in an unmasked setting (i.e. lunchroom, band) must quarantine with one of the below options.
1. Quarantine for 14 days (no test required).
2. Quarantine for seven days with negative test (PCR or rapid test done in lab) on days five, six or seven. Return on day eight if no symptoms develop.
*Unless fully vaccinated or previously ill with CoVID-19 within the previous three months and recovered, and without any symptoms.
CURRENT CoVID-19 PROTOCOLS
ZCS will continue to follow established CoVID-19 protocols and mitigation strategies including:
- Masks are mandatory in all district buildings and on school buses.
- Families of students considered to be close contacts will still be notified.
- Close contacts in unmasked situations must quarantine.
- Close contacts in any setting must quarantine if showing COVID-19 symptoms.
Please keep your child(ren) home if:
1. Child (ren) are sick or showing symptoms of CoVID-19.
2. Anyone in the household is awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test, exhibiting CoVID-19 symptoms, or has tested positive.
3. If child is exhibiting Covid symptoms, one of our nurses will be in touch in order to communicate our return to school protocol - which is either a 10-day quarantine or an earlier return with a negative Covid test performed in a lab or an alternative physician diagnosis.
Please continue to carefully monitor your child(ren) for COVID-19 symptoms and do not send any child(ren) to school who show signs of sickness.
ZCS Now Hiring Instructional Assistants
ZCS is now hiring Instructional Assistant at multiple locations. Join the ZCS team and make an impact on the lives of our students.
- IAs work in the classroom with individual and small groups of students.
- Positions are 29 hours per week with a pay of $13 per hour.
- Your weekends and evenings are free and you work on the school calendar.
- Please apply online at: https://www.applitrack.com/centralindiana/onlineapp/jobpostings/view.asp?choosedistrict=true&district=1452
- Contact Robyn Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PVE PTO Update
We are so very thankful for al the ways that our PTO supports us at PVE.
PVE PTO Meetings for 21-22
- Dec 14, 2021 07:00 PM
- Jan 11, 2022 07:00 PM
- Feb 8, 2022 07:00 PM
- Mar 8, 2022 07:00 PM
- Apr 12, 2022 07:00 PM
- May 10, 2022 07:00 PM
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 968 0801 2822
- Passcode: 611190
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 global pandemic, our procedures regarding welcoming guests to our building continue to evolve, with safety as our top priority. The ZCS Eagle Start Guide will give specifics regarding the most up-to-date district decisions regarding volunteers and visitors.
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.