Week of March 7, 2021
March's Seven Sacred Teaching: Courage
What can we learn from the Spirit Animal the Bear?
3MK Multiplication Magic
This week @ OLA
Read-A-Thon begins on Friday! Stay tuned for info coming to your email inbox (or junk mail)
Substitute Appreciation Week
Monday, March 8, 2021
- Inuit Presentation 1/2M & 2C
- Student Support Team Meetings
- 4E Citadel Virtual Drama Workshop
- Choose Joy today!
Tuesday, March 9, 2021
- A great day to learn and grow together!
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
- Staff Mass 8:00 am
- Virtual Morning Announcements
- Father Daniel or Father Kris visit OLA
- More spectacular learning and growing!
- 1st Communion Parent Zoom Meet #1 - Option 1 - 6:30 pm
- A great day to be in our community together!
Friday, March 12, 2021
- Read-A-Thon Begins today!
- Friyay! Spread Joy and Kindness like confetti!
Saturday, March 14, 2021
- Daylight Savings Time Begins
- 1st Communion Parent Zoom Meet #2 - Option 2 11:00 am
To see what is up and coming even further ahead, please visit our website calendar.
You can view our Kindergarten Calendar here.
Ready! Set! Read-A-Thon This Week!
Minutes will be tracked online, and details about pledges are coming soon.
Interested in Reading a Story to your child's class? You will be invited to connect with your child's teacher to arrange a time to join the class virtually for Story Time! And the minutes count for their reading!!
All Read-A-Thon proceeds will go to supporting the Library Learning Commons & Maker Spaces!
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To kick off the excitement for our Read-A-Thon,
our School Spirit Theme last Wednesday was Story Book Characters!
Look at us Getting into the Reading Spirit!
Say "Yes" To Puddle Play!
As the weather begins to warm up....
Puddles have a uniquely magnetic effect on children. I’ve seen it countless times. Children will be happily strolling down a trail and then suddenly they spot a small pool of shimmering water ahead. Immediately their pace quickens and they move forward with clear determination. As they approach a puddle there’s a telltale bounce in their stride. They’re priming their legs for what’s to come: the double foot splash!
A puddle is a magical portal: the moment children place their feet into that puddle they find themselves in a wonderful wet world filled with new opportunities.
Puddles are such simple things and yet they teach children so much. In many ways, a puddle is like a book, each one unique and filled with new possibilities. Just as books are a gateway into the world of words and stories, puddles provide children with opportunities to learn about movement, the natural world, and play.
- Teaches children how to move their bodies
- Invites children to play
- Teaches children about the natural world
- Is a Choose Joy moment
- Engages children in Loose Parts Play with twigs, branches rocks and more!
Playing in puddles is a natural and necessary experience that encourages children's cognitive skill development.
Just like when we invite your help to dress children for winter play, we invite you to do the same for Spring Time Puddle Play. Thank you for keeping an eye on the weather and helping your child dress appropriately. For Spring-like weather, thank you for helping your child bring rubber boots, rain gear and a change of clothes.
During our morning announcements on Thursday, we shared with children the natural cause and effects of puddle play...When you choose play with, around or in puddles...you're going to get wet. If children want to play in puddles - and they are encouraged to do so, they are encouraged to bring the proper clothing and footwear to enjoy every moment.
Thank you for sending a change of clothes, including socks, and the fun fantastic rubber boots to enjoy fresh air free play time.
Warmer Weather Gifts Us with Perfect Snowman Making Snow!
Evidence of Learning Portfolios Available Next Week
As a third checkpoint in your child's learning, Evidence of Learning Portfolios provide parents with tangible samples of your child's work to spark conversations about their learning and learning progress. The Three-Way Conference conversations between the student, parent and teacher highlight celebrations of learning and provide opportunities to plan goals for future growth based on the evidence in the portfolios.
What will I see in the Evidence of Learning Portfolios?
These will come to you digitally through your child's Google Classroom between March 15th and 18th. For Grade 1 - 4 students, the following elements will be in your child's Evidence of Learning Portfolios (Kindergarten's Evidence of Learning will be a simplified version of the elements below):
- Up to 10 pieces of their work
- Each piece will be connected to the goal or objective from the curriculum they are learning
- A sample of their work from each of the core subject areas: Religion, English Language Arts/Literacy, Math/Numeracy, Social Studies, Science
- An example that demonstrates their "Growth Over Time" in both Literacy and Numeracy
- A example that demonstrates their learning progression - a product that shows how they improved their understanding
- Your child's voice in their learning progress in the form of a self-assessment
- A piece that your child is particularly proud of
What do I Do With the Evidence of Learning Portfolio?
This truly is the key element in your child's learning!
Thank you for setting aside time with your child to review your child's Evidence of Learning before the Three-Way Conferences on March 22 or 24th. The conference conversations will be rooted in your review of the Evidence of Learning Portfolios.
Your child is proud of their learning, and they want to include you in it. While you are reviewing their learning evidence together, you are invited to ask questions. Here are a few to get you started:
- Tell me a little bit about each of the pieces in your Evidence of Learning Portfolio.
- What did you notice you are good at?
- When looking at the learning target, are you getting there? Almost there? Have you got it?
- What are you getting better at?
- What would you like to improve on?
- What it something about your learning that you really want me to know?
- What will be your learning goal for the last part of the year and how can I help you achieve it?
Enjoy this special time together as a window into your child's learning, and a big part of their day. They want to share it with you. They are proud of their work.
Thank you for sharing space with them to celebrate their learning before the Three-Way Conference conversations.
Three-Way Conferences March 22 & 24th
Details on how to reserve your Virtual Three-Way Conference with your child's teacher will be coming to you this week. Please watch for it in your email inbox (and check your junk mail please.) Thank you for booking your 15 minute conference...to be enjoyed from the comfort of your own home!
We heard your feedback about how confusing conferences were to follow in November, so we've made the process much simpler. You need only click the one link you are given and wait to be welcomed into the google meet! It's that simple!
Thank you for making your child's learning and growing progress a priority by reviewing their Evidence of Learning Portfolio and booking a Three-Way Conference.
Getting Messy With Power Options in 1&2M
School Council News
See you at our next meeting, on Tuesday, April 13 @ 7:00 pm
Google Meet link will be shared with you that day.
Thank you for checking your email inbox or spam/junk folder.
Thank you to everyone who joined us on March 2 for our daytime meeting!
To connect with your OLA School Council, please email email@example.com.
Click below to order your OLA Spirit Wear!
From our OLA Parish
If you have any questions or concerns about Sacramental Preparation, please feel free to contact Father Kris at the parish 780-998-3288 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Dates - Please mark your calendar:
Parent ZOOM meeting #1: March 11 @6:30pm or March 13 @11am
Parent ZOOM meeting #2: March 25 @6:30pm or March 27 @11am
Kids adoration: March 18 @6:30pm or March 20 @11am
1st Communion Retreat: April 10, 2021 11:00-12noon
1st Communion Celebration: April 11, 2021 11:30am
Resources for parents
Home guide training video:
Reconciliation home guide:
Eucharist home guide:
Exercises for 1st Communion
Daily family prayer challenge
- if you don’t have the practice of family prayer already, pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1
Glory be, 1 thing you’re thankful for, and 1 person to pray for every night before bed.
Quotes of the Week
Kinder: "Mme Gravelle, God loves us right?"
Mme: "He does. He loves us so much! In fact, He loves us so much He sent His only son to die on the cross for us so that we could go to heaven!"
Kinder: "But there was a big flood, right?"
Mme: "You're right, there was a big flood. A long time ago. God asked for Noah's help to save all the animals and all of Noah's family because everyone else wasn't following God's commandments. God loved us so much, and Noah loved God so much, that God saved all of us through Noah. And why did God save us?"
Kinder:"Because he loves us!"
Mme: "Yes he does! So much! And he loves you. And he wants you to do what every day?"
Kinder while jumping in the air, he yells: "Choose Joy!"
Father Kris Visits Kindergarten
Fort Saskatchewan Public Library Spring Break Reading Challenge
Read & Get a Pizza!
Alberta Health Documents
March 12 - 19, 2021
- 4P Citadel Virtual Drama Workshop
Week of March 15 - 19, 2021
- Digital Evidence of Learning & Growth
- First Communion, Kids Adoration @ 6:30pm
March 22, 2021
- Virtual Three Way Conferences
March 24, 2021
- Virtual Three Way Conferences
March 21, 2021
- Holy Thursday & Good Friday Cohort Liturgies of the Word in AM
March 26, 2021
- PD Day - No School
March 28, 2021
- Palm Sunday
March 29 - April 2, 2021
- Spring Break - No school
April 1, 2021
- Holy Thursday - No School
April 2, 2021
- Good Friday - No School
April 4, 2021
- Easter Sunday - Halleluiah Christ is Risen!
April 5, 2021
- Easter Monday - No School
April 7, 2021
- School Spirit Day - Rainbow Day, Wear your favourite colour!
- Early Dismissal - 2:19 pm
- Easter Liturgy of the Word Cohort Celebrations in PM
School fees are now due. Payment can be made by debit or credit card by visiting your PowerSchool account.
If you require assistance signing into your account please call Mrs. Desaulniers at 780-998-3716 or email email@example.com.
Field trip: to date all field trips involving bussing are cancelled. Virtual field trips and walking trips may still occur. Once these have been finalized we will share the field trip fee for payment
All unpaid fees by March 1, 2021 may be sent to a collections agency.
Youth Working Group Resources
Navigating Co-Parenting and Child Custody During COVID 19 Thursday April 8, 2021 7:00 pm
The Five Love Languages Wednesday April 21, 2021 7:00 pm