Investigating School Communities
Deepening Understanding Through Reflection and Making
- Focus on interdependence of a community
- School community is common for all children
- Report findings back to class through iMovies
- Reporting includes reflection on what was learned and what the process of interviewing was like for the students; were there any unexpected moments?
Needs and Wants
- Ruby Bridges
- Think Book entry: What do you think "Needs" and "Wants" mean?
- Brainstorm in partnerships first
What do you see? What does that make you think about? What wonderings or questions do you have?
- We used lots of sticky notes!
- Break into categories: school supplies, classroom areas, support areas, people, play spaces, personal needs
- Students decide together as a group what is really needed in every school
- Floor plan/map needs to include the school NEEDS they all agreed to
Process, not Product
- Students inspiring each other's work
- Dedicated space to leave out work in progress
- What is the name of your school?
- What happens there? How are you meeting the students' needs?
- What was challenging for you about this process?
- What did you like the most?
- What else would you like us to know about your school?