Welcome Back to School!
2015 Battle of the Brains - Going Outside!
I have presented the competition information to all Guided Discovery students this week and will see next week how many are interested in participating. There is no limit to the number of entries I can submit, so we can have whole class groups, small groups, or individual students participating. Although participation in this competition is optional, I strongly encourage the students to participate, because it is an amazing "real world" learning opportunity! The students are allowed to use their GD time to work on their projects and some have already starting brainstorming possible outdoor "science concepts".
Burns & McDonnell assigns a mentor to meet with the students (email communication and a couple of after school visits). In addition, but we would welcome the support of parents with a background with STEM careers, video production, social media, and/or Sketch-Up (3 D animation). Contact me if you can share your talents with us.
The competition submission is due by 5 PM on October 21st. See more about this great opportunity and the rubric in the Battle of the Brains KC link provided below.
New Learning Opportunity - Mango Languages
Does your child have an interest in learning a new language? Mango Languages is a web-based program that teaches students a foreign language via online lessons and tests (akin to Rosetta Stone). We now have a license for students in gifted education to use this tool to learn foreign languages that we don't offer formally as classes in BV.
They currently offer over 60 languages!
* Middle school and high school students still need to take the regular world language classes to learn the languages that BV offers (this program wouldn’t replace those classes).
* The Mango languages can’t apply toward World Language credit.
* If a student is completing the work of Mango Languages as his/her curriculum in the high school gifted education class, the student could earn gifted education credit for the performance and work.
* This would be a great option for students who want to learn a unique or additional language that BV doesn’t offer.
* It also has the potential to allow students to test into the language in college classes.
Please contact me or have your student contact me if they are interested in getting started.