ED TECH TIPS
Plickers: Real Time Formative Assessments Made Simple!
What are plickers?
If you have been teaching for a while, you have probably seen a classroom set of clickers somewhere on your travels. These student response systems were all the rage for a while. They looked like TV remote controls and were designed as a way that students could respond to a quiz or oral question by pressing a button to indicate the answer that they chose. Each clicker was unique to that student so that the teacher could see who answered what and when.
Fast forward a few years and today you can experience the future of classroom clickers – a free tool called Plickers. Now, if you are imagining a high-tech handset with an HD touchscreen, WiFi and a built-in camera, you would be wrong. Plickers uses paper. Yes, paper! Oh, and your students don’t need any electronic devices to take part in your assessment.
- 4 multiple-choice answers
- Up to 40 responses recorded individually
- Online tracking/reporting tools coming soon
- Immediate aggregate graphs and individual results
- Order laminated cards or print your own
- Lose or destroy a card? Just print a new one!
Setting Up Your First Class
1. Sign in to the website plickers.com
2. Click "new class" on the left-hand side.
3. Add the name of the class and click "create class". Once you have done this, your new class will appear on the left under classes.
4. Click on your class to add your students.
How to use Plickers Cards
1. Log into the website: plickers.com
2. Print out the Plicker cards.
3. Then assign one Plicker for each student.
- Notice the number at the top right: 5--that is the number of the Plicker.
- There are 40 Plickers in a batch.
- Notice the A, B, C, and D around the shape that will be used to answer questions.
4. Download the app from the Apple Store or the Android Store.
How does this all work?
2. The students choose A, B, C, or D.
3. Students show you their Plicker with the proper choice at the top.
4. Scan the class with your device.
5. The answers will appear in a grid on your device.
Creating a Quiz
2. It will automatically come up as a "multiple choice" answer. If you would like to make it a true/false question, you must click "set as true/false" at the bottom.
3. Add your question and 4 answer choices.
4. If you would like to insert an image for your question, click the insert image button to the right of the question box.
5. Add your next question by clicking the " + " in the top left corner of your screen.
6. Once all questions are added, create a title for the quiz at the top. Just click were it says "untitled set' and enter your title.
7. Lastly, click "Add to Queue", choose the class you would like to assign it to and it will appear on the top. Your questions will automatically save.
8. Click the "home" button on the top left to go back to your library.
Need Integration Assistance?
Need help integrating a digital resource into your class activities? Want to co-teach a lesson? Want to set up one-on-one training? Simply have questions on how to best implement a technology resource? In your request, try to be specific with what your needs are. Say something like "I would like training with/in..." or "I'm planning out a lesson and need to bounce an idea off you about..."