How Do Wind Turbines Work?
By: C.Z & C.T
How Is Wind Power Harvested?
How Wind Power Is Converted To Electricity
Advantages Of Using Wind Turbines To Generate Electricity.
1. The wind is free and with modern technology it can be captured efficiently.
2. Once the wind turbine is built the energy it produces does not cause
green house gases or other pollutants.
3. Although wind turbines can be very tall each takes up only a small plot of land.
This means that the land below can still be used. This is especially the case in
agricultural areas as farming can still continue.
4. Many people find wind farms an interesting feature of the landscape.
5. Remote areas that are not connected to the electricity power grid can use wind turbines to
produce their own supply.
Disadvantages Of Using Wind Turbines To Generate Electricity
2. Many people feel that the countryside should be left untouched, without these large structures being built. The landscape should left in its natural form for everyone to enjoy.
3. Wind turbines are noisy. Each one can generate the same level of noise as a family car travelling at 70 mph.
4. Many people see large wind turbines as unsightly structures and not pleasant or interesting to look at. They disfigure the countryside and are generally ugly.
5. When wind turbines are being manufactured some pollution is produced. Therefore wind power does produce some pollution.