Activities that Build Permanence
Students who are engaged are students who are learning!
Why DON'T they get it?
"If struggling readers need to see a word forty times to learn it (Beers 2002), then I’ll make a leap and say students need to see grammar and mechanics rules highlighted in different contexts at least as many times to own them."
- Jeff Anderson
Ji Lee's Words as Images...
Don and Jenny Kilgallon "Story Grammar"
- Tools (words, phrases, clauses)
Harry Noden's "Brush Strokes"
From Image Grammar
- Action Verb
- Adjective out of Order
Gretchen Bernabei "Grammar Keepers"
- Grammar proofs
- Application to personal writing
Find inspiration in published works...
- "Harry now carried a cage that held a beautiful snowy owl, asleep with her head under her wing." ~Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling
- “My name is India Opal Buloni, and last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.” ~Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- “Moonlight falls on the frozen carousel, on the silent popcorn stand, on the stall of leather belts that smell like long-gone cows.”~The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate