Grapevine Mustang Band
COVID-19 Update week #???? too many to count
Notes from the Directors
Good afternoon, Mustang Band!
- Please review the parent meeting presentation if you have not done so already! The information can be found below.
- If you have not turned in your audition PLEASE do so as soon as you can. It’s not too late to turn it in!
- Turn in your assignments for your classes!
- Band banquet is now schedule for Friday, June 19th. More details to come!
- If you have friends that are interested in joining our great color guard, have them join the google classroom! Audition information will be coming out this week.
- Check Google Classroom, Remind, School Email DAILY.
- Be sure to use the GCISD HS Band Practice Checklist to stay on track and engaged in class. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ew02J715ccL-VV8HQVi6rve5k9YfQrA_fs_xXXbGees/edit?usp=sharing
- All students should be posting their exit ticket for their week of practice. The link to submit your weekly exit ticket is on the GCISD HS Band Practice Checklist and the band website.
- Every student will have a second assignment posted in Google classroom for next week. Please let Mr. Rees know if you have any issues.
- The Leadership interviews are going so well! We love seeing and talking with our fabulous Mustang Band Members.
- If you are an 8th grader, we have created a special Google classroom for you to help you prepare for your freshman year at GHS! The join code is aan7mel.
- If you are unable to access online resources (Google Classroom, WebEx, GCISD@HomeLearning, etc) please email your band director IMMEDIATELY so we can provide support or make alternative arrangements.
- You need to clean and disinfect your instruments! (videos below)
- Please do not hold student led rehearsals at this time.
- Establish a routine for yourself to keep your life as normal as possible. Dedicate time to growing as a musician every day. Our suggestion is below.
Coffee with the Boosters
Hello Band Families!
The GHS Band is very excited about the upcoming school year and marching season! The Directors and Band Boosters are hard at work on making it a fun and successful year!
The Band Boosters is a great community of band parents who not only volunteer but also just get together and support each other, students, directors all while having a great time! Want to meet the GHS Boosters? Then join us tomorrow, Saturday the 25th at 9:00am for Coffee with the Boosters! This is a great chance to just say hi and meet other band parents and ask questions about what band is like!
In order to practice safe distancing, this coffee will be hosted via Zoom. This meet up is for parents only.
Please grab a coffee and come say hi! Look forward to seeing you there!
Saturday, April 25th
The GHS Band Boosters are very excited to start planning for the 2020-21 band year! We are currently looking for volunteers to fill a couple committee positions. The following positions are available:
Freshmen Football Concession Opener
Jv Football Concession Closer
Concession Volunteer Coordinator
Uniforms- open position to assist the Uniform Chairs
Please contact Rachel Koch or Uma Benzick for more details
2020-21 Band Class Schedule
- 1st – Marching Band (rehearsal schedule below)
- 2nd – Applied Music
- 8th – Percussion Ensemble
- 1st – Wind Ensemble (Varsity)
- 2nd – Percussion Ensemble, Winterguard, Applied Music, Concert Band(Sub-Non Varsity B)
- 5th – Symphonic Band (Sub-Non Varsity A)
- 8th – Honors Band (Non-Varsity)
Marching Band weekly rehearsal schedule is as follows:
- Monday – 5PM to 8PM in Mustang-Panther Stadium
- Tuesday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Wednesday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Thursday – 7AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
- Friday – 8AM to 9:30AM at Grapevine HS
GUARD AUDITION INFO
We are still eager to gain 5-10 more students on the interest page. We would love to have a minimum of 20 members (currently we have 16 interested).
2020 Guard Auditions
FOLLOW the Mustang Band
Fundamentals (10 Mins)
- Long tones, Remington exercises - Use a tuner and a metronome and learn to address tuning issues
- Articulation exercises - The tongue is a muscle and must be worked daily
- Slurs for flexibility and range - Lip slurs for brass – same color of sound on every note and Register or octave slurs for woodwinds
Scales and Technique (15 Mins)
- All 12 major scales PLUS the arpeggio - If you know them, memorize them, If they’re memorized, go faster or start the minor scales, Arpeggios are just as important as scales
- Play scales 3 times - 1st time – slow, in tune, work on tone, 2nd time – at a tempo you can play flawlessly, 3rd time – faster to push your limits
- Chromatic Scale – same slow/medium/fast approach
- Technical exercises from the blue book or another source - Play in all keys at least once per week!
- Scales in thirds, scales in patterns
Band Music (15 – 30 Mins)
- Do not give up on your band music! You’ve worked hard on it and we still want to give beautiful performances!
- March – play it on concert F to refine the articulation, slow it down and tune each note then put the two ideas together - Can you play the loud AND soft parts in tune
- Other pieces - What the hardest parts of the music? Slow them down and play them perfectly - Nothing is as good as a ton of correct repetitions with a metronome and a tuner
- Other Music (15 minutes)
- Have you learned the metronome etude? https://www.grapevinehsband.com/uploads/7/8/7/0/78709128/metronomeetude.pdf
- Have you started on another solo? There’s a ton of great music for you to play.
HOW TO PAY BAND FEES ONLINE VIA PAYPAL
You may pay for your child’s fees easily with a credit card using a Pay Pal account. To use this feature, click on the “Finances” button then choose the “Make A Trip Payment” button. If you have not set up a Pay Pal account, you will be given an option to do so. Choose to pay using your credit card, debit card, or bank account. Make secure purchases without revealing your credit card number or financial information to the GHS Band or the CHARMS system. PayPal offers one of the safest platforms for online commerce with fraud rates at a fraction of those of typical e-commerce offerings. PayPal offers ease and flexibility, accepting all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express), as well as all major debit cards and direct transfers. Please be aware that there is a fee to pay by credit card.
Other links and forms
If you have a broken school-owned instrument that needs repaired, go to the band website to fill out the repair form. Follow the directions carefully.
If you have lost your music and need a copy, WE HAVE A SOLUTION! The form must be completed 48 hours before the time you need music so the librarians can get you copies.