Where will we be in 5000 days?
By Heidi Kazimer
In 2007 Kevin Kelly described how we are "constructing a single, global machine and all the devices we have in our hands will be portals into that one machine."
Computers and Humans become "ONE" machine
Living, Learning, and Surviving after the next 5000 days
I believe in the story that Kevin Kelly explains in his web podcast about where we will be in 5000 days or roughly 14 years; that one machine will connect us all. In order to survive in this world you need to use and have the ability of higher order 21st century skills like:
- Learning Skills – Critical thinking, creative thinking, collaborating, and communicating
- Literacy Skills –Information, media, and technology literacy
- Life Skills – flexibility, initiative, social skills, productivity, and leadership skills
Not only do 21st century skills shape who we are, but they will change how we live and learn. Our world will change tremendously, which will include us being:
- Codependent on technology
- That you will be just "touching" the technology and it computing for you
- All data will be in a cloud; - you need to understand the cloud
- You have to be open to shared data (your life will be in the cloud)
Ultimately, the "new world will require total transparency". (Kelly, 2007)
Licklider, J. (1960). Man-Computer Symbiosis. IRE Transactions on Human Factors in Electronics,, HFE(1), 4-11.
Kelly, K. The Next 5000 days of the web [Motion picture]. (2007). TED. http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_days_of_the_web