By: Davide Caramellino
Background of the Crime
- February 26, 2012 in Sanford, Florida, United States
- 7:09 PM EST start, 7:16 PM gunshot on 911 call, 7:17 PM police car arrives, 7:30 PM Martin declared dead
- George Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon Martin
- George Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch coordinator for a gated community
- Martin was unarmed
- Timothy Smith arrived at the scene at approximately 7:17 PM
- Took Zimmerman into custody
- Ricardo Ayala second to arrived at the scene
- Sgt. Anthony Raimondo arrived next
- Detectives D. Singleton and Chris Serino interviewed Zimmerman
History of the Time Period
This event took place in 2012, at this time the forensics techniques were the same as now. The media played a big factor in this case, the media started to creat a racism issue with this case.
George Zimmerman 911 Call To Stanford Police Department
List of Suspects, Their Backgrounds and Alibis
- Zimmerman was the only suspect
- Put in custody by first responder
- Claimed self defense
- Confessed to shooting him
Phychologicol profile of suspect
- Claimed self deference
- Said he was trying to keep the neighborhood safe
- The first officer at the scene reported finding Zimmerman standing near Martin, who was lying face down in the grass and unresponsive.
- Zimmerman stated to Smith that he had shot Martin and was still armed.
- The police confiscated a black kel-tec PF-9 9mm semi-automatic pistol witch was the gun used to kill Treyvon Martin.
- Before the shooting, Zimmerman called 911 and said that he saw a suspicious person walking outside.
- The police told him to leave him alone but Zimmerman refused.
- Zimmerman had been beaten.
- Zimmerman claimed that Trayvon Martin had attracted him and he was acting in deference
- He also claimed the had called for help 14 times but no one answered.
- Zimmerman passed a voice stress test to show he wasn't lying
- Zimmerman was not tested for drugs or alcohol
- Self deference
- Self inflicted after murder
George Zimmerman was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. He later went to trail and was found not guilty.