They come in many forms
Types of eating disorders
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Bulimia Nervosa
Facts about eating disorders:
- Eating disorders are a mental illness that involves an unhealthy relationship with food.
- There are three main types of eating disorders (listed above).
- Eating disorders can be genetic or caused by a physiological issue.
- Approximately 24 million people in the US struggle with an eating disorder and 50% of those people also struggle with depression.
- Only 10% of people with eating disorders seek help.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental disorder.
- 50% of teen girls and 35% of teen boys admit to using unhealthy ways to manage their weight.
- 25% of collage girls admit to purging and of that 25% 58% said they felt a social pressure to be thin.
- Men are less likely to receive treatment because of the social stereotypes surrounding the disorders.
- Most teen girls say the models and media shape their idea of body image and influence the severity of their decease.