What's New in Mrs. Allen's Room?
I am so excited about our One-School, One-Book program that begins today! Please make sure you ask your child this evening about the special visitors that were in our school today! Each family will be receiving a copy of the book Mr. Popper's Penguins today. The book is to stay at home. Please read one chapter each week night with your children. A reading log is coming home today as well to track your family's progress.
Have a wonderful week!
This Week in 3rd Grade:
GRAMMAR: Subject (beginning of the sentence) & Object (after the verb) Pronouns
SPELLING: Our spelling list will be increasing to 25 words last week! The last 5 words will be bonus words. They will not count against your child if they are misspelled, but can help if they are spelled correctly. In order to NOT have to take the Friday test, the first 20 words must all be spelled correctly.
- whirlwind* (*bonus words)
WRITING: We are continuing to work on various writing prompts in an attempt to increase writing stamina. The writing portion of the I-STEP+ test allows the students 50 minutes to write a story from a prompt that they are given. The longer they are able to write, the more they will write, and the better they will score. We will also be practicing adding lots of details, adding WOW words, and staying on topic. We are working to beat our 10-minute record!
MATH: We will finish area, and then review perimeter and area. The test will cover both topics, and will be on Thursday, February 4th.
SOCIAL STUDIES: United States Government and time lines.
- Congratulations to our newest classroom student council representatives Colin Arney and Sophia Thephasdin!! Their classmates elected them to represent our room during student council meetings.
- Our One-School, One-Book program begins on Monday!! Each family will receive one copy of the book, Mr. Popper's Penguins to keep at home at reach with your children. Your child will bring home a weekly reading log that will be due on MONDAYS in February. There will be classroom incentives for family reading time!! Be sure to ask your child about our special visitors on Monday!
- Outdoor recess has finally returned!!! If the temperatures (and wind chill) are above 20 degrees, we will be going outside, so PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD IS DRESSED ACCORDINGLY. In the event that we cannot go outside due to the weather, if you have any gently used board games at home that are no longer in use that you would like to donate to our recess closet, they would be great appreciated!
- 3rd Quarter book report info went home two weeks agos. If your child lost their copy or forgot to bring it home, there is a copy posted on my classroom website: mrsallencc.weebly.com
- I am more of a stickler with regard to your child's AR reading this semester. I have been telling the class all year that they should be working toward earning at least 1 AR point per school week, however there are several students who have yet to earn 10 points. Recess is on the line! There is a direct correlation between student reading and academic achievement!
- For the next two weeks the student council will be collecting "Pennies for Patients" to raise money for childhood leukemia and lymphoma.