Discovery Middle School
PANTHER PAUSE - DMS Advisory
WHAT IS PANTHER PAUSE?
Panther Pause is a small group setting of 15-20 students. Our purpose for Panther Pause is to provide a time for students to check in with their small group and build positive relationships with the other students within the group, as well as the advisor throughout the year. Our goal is to use this time to team build, discuss topics that are on the minds of students, address questions, and collaborate and plan community service for this year. We meet every Tuesday for 30 minutes.
On August 26th, we had a great time as teams competed in the Panther Games! It was hot, but we had a lot of fun!
Back to School Tips
Challenge Success: Tips to Help Your Child Thrive in School This Year
2. Resist the urge to correct the errors in your child's homework. It's your child's work, not yours.
3. Work done with integrity is more important than an A. Pressure to achieve only high grades can make students resort to cheating.
4. Make time for PDF: playtime, downtime, family time. Research shows PDF is critical for overall well-being.
5. Create a technology-free environment during mealtimes. Every adult and child can benefit from a break from constant interruptions and distractions.
6. Collaborate with your child's teachers. Assume best intentions and work together to solve problems.
7. Fight the temptation to bring your child’s forgotten homework to school. Kids gain resilience by learning from small failures.
8. An extra hour of sleep is more valuable than an extra hour of studying. Research shows sleep deprivation can be associated with depression and anxiety.
9. When your child wants to talk with you, stop what you are doing and engage. Does "I hate school" really mean something else: "I am being bullied" or "I don't fit in?"
10. Help your child develop his or her interests and strengths. Discover what your child really loves to do outside of school, not what you think a college admissions officer would like to see on an application.
Copyright © 2016 Challenge Success,
September Important Dates
Friday, 09/09 - School Pictures
Wednesday, 09/14 - End of 6th Week
Monday, 09/19 - 6th Week Progress Report comes home
Friday, 09/30 - End of 1st Term (9 weeks)
Monday - Friday, 10/03 - 10/07 - FALL BREAK!
Wednesday, 10/12 - Report Cards come home
VOLLEYBALL- Home Games (Games start at 4:00 in the gym)
Tuesday, 09/06 DMS vs. Liberty
Monday, 09/12 DMS vs. Meridianville
Tuesday, 09/13 DMS vs. Buckhorm
FOOTBALL - Home Games (Games start at 5:00)
Thursday, 09/15 DMS vs. Monrovia
Thursday, 09/29 DMS vs. Liberty