AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
October 1, 2021
- October 4 - AHS COVID Vaccination Clinic (with parent permission form)
- October 4 - MacEwan University Lunch Booth in Grad Hall
- October 4-8 - Read in Week
- October 5 - World Teachers' Day
- October 6 - Norquest College - Lunch Virtual Presentation @ Theatre
- October 6, 2:14 p.m. - Early Dismissal
- October 7 - Picture Retakes
- October 10 - World Mental Health Day
- October 11 - Thanksgiving Day (STAT)
- October 18 - PL Day (No Classes)
- October 19, 6:00 p.m. - Grad Meeting - Grade 12
- October 19 & 21 - PST Interviews
- November 3, 2:14 p.m. - Early Dismissal
- November 8-12 - November Break
To help schools remain healthy and safe, EIPS asks families always to inform school staff when a child is absent. Let them also know if the reason for being away is related to an illness and the symptoms. Doing so allows the school to monitor and report illness trends accurately to Alberta Health Services and Alberta Education.
AHS School Vaccination Clinic
Alberta Health Services (AHS) will be holding COVID-19 immunization clinic at Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High School on Monday, October 4 at 9 a.m. for students aged 12 to 19 in Grades 7-12. EIPS strongly encourages all eligible students and staff to get fully vaccinated. For specific information about the program, please view the attached.
Parent/guardian consent for students will be required through a signed AHS Consent Form for COVID-19 In-School Immunication (see below). It is important that parents/guardians print off and return completed consent forms for their children by Friday, October 1. The AHS mature minor processes will not apply for the COVID-19 school immunization program.
NOTE: Students under 18 years of age will NOT be immunized without a signed parental consent form.
Pay School Fees Online!
School fee information for the 2021-22 school year is now posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal. All fees are due within 30 days of being posted. To access your fee information, simply log in to the PowerSchool Parent Portal and go to “Student Fees.” There you can view your fees and pay them online using Visa, MasterCard or debit card—when available from your financial institution.
Don’t forget to also log in to the PowerSchool Parent Portal regularly throughout the year. Fees are often added to your child’s account to cover the cost of various school activities such as field trips, class projects, extracurricular activities fees and more.
For more information about school fees, waivers and payment deadlines, visit www.eips.ca/schools/fees and www.ardrossan.ca/about/fees. Alternatively, contact Kim Walsh at Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High at 780-922-2228.
Read in Week 2021 - October 4-8
Read In Week returns on October 4. This year’s theme: “To Each Their Own Story.” Through various activities, students will spend the week learning ways to tell their own stories and how stories have the power to teach lessons, broaden perspectives and foster empathy. Some of the activities planned for Read In Week include:
· book teasers in the morning announcements, and
· ELA and FLA teachers will be doing book talks and book trailers at the beginning of class.
Read In Week is a division wide initiative held annually to encourage a lifelong love of reading and to enhance literacy awareness among students, staff, families and community members. Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High invites all families to participate in Read In Week by reading yourself, with your child or with someone in the community.
Don’t forget to share what you’ve learned. Throughout the week, you can post your own stories about Read In Week using the hashtag #eipsreads.
FREE APPLICATION DAYS FOR INDIGENOUS STUDENTS
For the first time ever the University of Alberta will be offering Free Application Days for Indigenous Students. This initiative was developed in the spirit of reconciliation and in honour of Residential School survivors with the goal of increasing access to education for First Nations, Métis, or Inuit learners. In alliance with the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, Free Admission Days will take place from September 30 - October 6, 2021. See Mr. McKinnon or Mrs. Boake.
Students can find more information, including access to application support workshops, at uab.ca/fnmi
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year!
Your Counsellors this year are Mrs. Boake (8,10,12) and Mrs. Richardson (7,9,11)
Visit the school website at https://www.ardrossan.ca/student-services
Celebrating World Teachers’ Day: October 5
October 5 is World Teachers’ Day! Launched in 1994 by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), World Teachers’ Day is celebrated annually around the world as a way to recognize teachers and the integral role they play in providing quality education to students. On October 5, Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) encourages all of its students, parents and community members to show their appreciation for their teachers and the positive impact they make on our lives.
EIPS extends its heartfelt thank you to all Division teachers for their dedication, hard work and commitment in guiding and educating students through their kindergarten to Grade 12 years.
Municipal Election 2021: Vote October 18
The next municipal election, which includes the election of local school board trustees, takes place on Monday, Oct. 18, 2021. It’s your opportunity to get involved in public education by casting your vote for a public school trustee.
Electors can cast their votes for municipal candidates—mayors, reeves, councillors, as applicable—and school board trustee candidates—public or separate. Voting stations are typically open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Each municipality conducts the election for its residents and establishes formal voting station hours and procedures.
To learn more about election day procedures in your area, including opportunities for advance voting and voting by special ballot, visit:
- October 4, 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Ecole Secondaire Beaumont Composite High School @ Beaumont
- October 4, 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Volleyball vs St. Albert @ St. Albert
- October 5, 3:30 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boy's Volleyball vs Strathcona Christian Academy
- October 5, 3:30 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girl's Volleyball vs Strathcona Christian Academy
- October 6, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Volleyball vs Louis St. Laurent @ Ardrossan
- October 6, 6:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Girl's Volleyball vs Louis St. Laurent @ Ardrossan
- October 7, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Boy's/Girl's Volleyball vs Cloverbar @ Cloverbar (boys play first)
- October 7, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Girl's Volleyball vs Lillian Osborne @ Lillian Osborne
- October 7, 7:30 p.m. - Bison Football vs Lillian Osborne @ Johnny Bright Sports Park
- October 13, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Boy's/Girl's Volleyball vs Rudolph Hennig @ RHJ (boys play first)
- October 13, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boy's Volleyball vs Cloverbar @ Cloverbar
- October 13, 5:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girl's Volleyball vs Cloverbar @ Cloverbar
- October 13, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Volleyball vs Strathcona Christian @ SCA
- October 13, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Strathcona Christian @ SCA
- October 14, 3:30 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Boy's/Girl's Volleyball vs F.R. Haythorne @ Ardrossan
- October 14, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Girl's Volleyball vs Leduc @ Ardrossan
- October 14, 7:30 p.m. - Bison Football vs St. Albert Skyhawks @ Riel Field St. Albert
- October 15 & 16 - Sr. Varsity Boy's Volleyball Tournament - Morinville