Travis ECHS Community Newsletter
September 24, 2023
We have just completed 6 weeks of school. Can you believe it? Our students are in full swing for the school year. Progress Report grades can be found online at portal.austinisd.org. Take advantage of tutoring and credit recovery opportunities to boost your grades over the next three weeks when Report Cards will be posted!
Don't forget- we have NO School tomorrow Monday, September 25. It is a professional development day for teachers.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated September 15 to October 15 for recognizing the contributions of Hispanic Americans to our history, culture, and achievements.¡A celebrar nuestra diversidad de cultura! This week, wear Traditional Clothing from your Culture on Wednesday!
Student ID badges will be distributed this week through Social Studies classes. Students will be required to wear their IDs at all times and will not be allowed to use the restroom pass without an ID badge. ID badges are a requirement for staff, visitors, and students. Travis wants to maintain a safe school environment and one way to do this is to ensure that every person entering campus belongs there. Let's all do our part to maintain safety each day!
Other friendly reminders:
- School starts at 9:05
- Late arriving students enter through the front door
- Students must be on time to class. Consequences include Tardy Sweeps and In School Suspension.
- Seniors are the only students that are allowed to leave during lunch. They must return to class on time. 9th, 10th, and 11th graders must stay on on campus. Students may go to the cafeteria, library, and courtyard/blacktop during lunch time.
Have a great week, Rebels!
Monday, September 25- NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 26- 10-11 AM Parent Info Session: Review Graduation Requirments & Title I Meeting @ Travis HS Library
Tuesday, September 26- 5:30/6:30/7:30- Volleyball vs Navarro @ Navarro
Wednesday, September 27- Hispanic Heritage Spirit Day- Wear Traditional Clothing
Thursday, September 26 6:00 AM- Cross Country @ Del Valle
Thursday, September 28 7:30 PM- Football vs Northeast @Nelson Field
Friday, September 29- 5:30/6:30/7:30- Volleyball vs LASA @ Travis
FRIDAY IS AN B DAY
Volleyball Hosts Teacher Appreciation Night
- Concession Stands Help the senior class raise money for Prom!! We are raising money at these football games in October. 50% of sales go to the senior class. Sign up to work HERE or buy a snack while you root for the Rebels!
- Tardy Expectations All students need to be on time. If students get dropped off late due to appointments, please send them with a medical note. Students arriving to campus late MUST enter through the front door only to get a Tardy Pass.
- Student & Staff IDs Student ID's will be distributed this week. Once a student receives one, they will be required to where the ID at all times. This is a safety and security measure. All staff are also required to have their IDs on.
- Wanna order your Travis YEARBOOK? Yearbooks are $40 until October 31st and then the price goes up. ORDER HERE
- Superintendent's Equity Council- Meets Tuesdays after school until 6:30 pm in Room 604. Find and speak with one of our school representatives: Stella Thomas, Aileen Juan, Karomi Contreras, and Fabiola Moscoso.
- Austin ISD COVID 19 Guidelines for Sick Individuals-
If you or your child are feeling sick, regardless of whether you are vaccinated or not, please stay home and contact your medical provider and campus as soon as possible.
If you test positive-
Those who test positive will need to stay home and report their case by calling the school’s front office and asking for the COVID-19 designee. Staff should report the COVID-19 positive result to their supervisor.
Returning to school-
After testing positive, you need to wait five days before returning to school (the day you tested positive is Day 0). Anyone who tested positive will need markedly improved symptoms and to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning. Students or staff who return to campus on the sixth day after a positive result will be asked to mask for five more calendar days.
Talk to Students about the Risks of Vaping
Share this Newsletter QR with Others!
Parent Information Session: Review Graduation Requirements & Title I Meeting
Be On Time, Every Day Rebels!
Check out CON Mi MADRE! They Connect Female-identifying students to Post-High School Plans!
JOIN THE FIESTA- SUBMIT YOUR TALENT!
Dancers- Singers- Performers- Artists-- Submit your Art for the AISD 2023 Hispanic Heritage Talent Show
Mental Health Tip of the Week: Eat Well.
The benefits of eating well affect your body, mind, and quality of life.
- may help you live longer
- keeps skin, teeth, and eyes healthy
- supports muscles
- boosts immunity
- strengthens bones
- lowers risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers
- supports healthy pregnancies and breastfeeding
- helps the digestive system function
- helps acheive and maintain healthy weight
September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Addressing the mental health needs of our students and staff supports positive academic outcomes for everyone.
Help is available. Talk or text with someone today.
There are always options. Call or text 988
Austin ISD Family Resource Guide: http://austinisd.org/mentalhealth
Septiembre es el Mes Nacional de la Prevención del Suicidio
Atender las necesidades de salud mental de nuestros estudiantes y del personal apoya los resultados académicos positivos para todos.
Hay ayuda disponible. Hable o envíe un mensaje de texto a alguien hoy mismo.
Siempre hay opciones. Llame o envíe un mensaje de texto al 988
Guía de recursos familiares del Austin ISD: http://austinisd.org/mentalhealth
Announcements from Counselors
1. WELCOME to our new counselor, Jennifer Escobedo! We now have three out of four counseling positions filled and are thrilled to welcome Ms. Escobedo back to Travis!
2. Counselor Appointments: please sign up for counselor appointments by using the QR code posted on their door. You will be asked to fill out the form with your name, student ID#, and reason for the visit. Once your counselor receives your request, they will provide you with a pass with a date and time to meet. *For urgent, mental health needs stay with a trusted adult and a counselor will come to you.*
3. Schedule Updates: Check your schedule in the portal.austinisd.org for the most up to date copy
3. Credit-by-exam is coming next month. Students can take an exam for foreign language and get full high school credit if they pass! The exam is on campus during school hours. Listen for announcements and tune in for more information. Forms can be found in the Counselors Office 123.
4. Twilight Credit Recovery happening now in the library after school! See your counselor to sign up. Times and dates listed below in flyer.
5. Counselors presented during advisory this week. See the presentation below in the Counseling dept pdf.
TWILIGHT Credit Recovery- Come Get your Credits!
Introducing Life Anew Restorative Justice Coordinators
To be the leader in creating platforms for people to connect, contribute, and collaborate for the purpose of building authentic relationships, which fosters equitable outcomes.
What We Do
Life Anew, Inc. uses restorative justice to build healthier communities, promote peace and create a space to heal from harms caused by broken relationships. Life Anew provides space on school campuses to help develop a restorative eco system that embodies the values of the school and the restorative process. Life Anew is skilled at using innovative restorative practices to create safe communities and schools through violence prevention, circle processes, restorative conversations, and empathy development. It's all done by boosting a sense of community, relationships between students and teachers, and making time to talk about feelings, problems, and motivations. Life Anew employs Restorative Practice Coordinators to train school staff, students, parents, and community volunteers to engage one another in intentional conversations that lead to deep, meaningful relationships that result in life transformation.
How We Work
Life Anew Restorative Justice is not motivated or driven by the bottom -line, although we fully understand that operating a fiscally responsible organization is critical for long-term sustainability. Life Anew insists on aligning the community needs and our unique service model that supports our relevancy and sustainability in the community. We believe deeply in need for a credible and community connected third party when working within systems and institutions. After more than a decade of experience in a variety of settings and within a variety of structures, Life Anew has learned basic lessons that shape its business model and determine its rules of engagement.
Check out the GoCenter for College & Career Resources
Hello Travis Community,
Here at the GoCenter, or mission is to support each student grade 9-12 in preparing for their next steps after high school. Whether preparing for college or university, starting a career in the trades, or getting connected with our community partners, we are here to help you. Reach out to set up an appointment or to get support with any of our services:
- TSI Testing (college readiness exam)
- Scholarships and Financial Aid including FAFSA and TASFA applications
- Community Events and Resources
- College Advising and Exploration
- Career Advising and Exploration
- Field Trips to visit educational centers and institutions
- Skills-based workshops
- Every WEDNESDAY durng SEL/Advisory time, Travis has a COLLEGE/CAREER lesson. Tune in to find out how to use Naviance, learn about Colleges, Careers, and Scholoarship opportunities!
12th Grade / Senior Action Items:
- Complete the Senior Entry Survey
- Register for the OCT 7 SAT -
- Get your fee waiver by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
-the GoCenter Team
Communities in Schools- C.I.S. Supports Students
Support the Travis Band Fundraisers
The next general PTSA meeting of the year is Wed, 11/15 at 4:45pm in the cafeteria.
The rest of the general meetings for the year are on: 11/15, 1/10, 3/6, 4/10, and 5/8.
We are the Travis ECHS PTSA!
2023-2024 PTSA Officers
*President - Pamela
*Vice President - Azgad
* Secretary - Katie Vincent-McClure
*Treasurer - Julie Thomas
*Historian - Paula Vaughn
Join us in our mission to help the students and families of Travis ECHS! The President and Vice President positions are open! Interested in volunteering? Email email@example.com
HOW DO I JOIN PTSA? / ¿COMO ME INSCRIBO PARA EL GRUPO DE PTSA?
Go to https://www.joinpta.org/ and select Austin ISD/ Travis Early College High School GET A REBEL TRUE TSHIRT WHEN YOU JOIN PTSA! Parents, Students, Teachers- JOIN! ¡OBTENGA UNA CAMISETA REBEL TRUE CUANDO SE UNE AL PTSA! Padres, Estudiantes, Maestros- ¡ÚNASE!
HOW CAN I CONTACT PTSA?
Join our PTSA Facebook Group Travis Early College High School PTSA to see our announcements: https://www.facebook.com/TravisRebelsPTSA
Visit our website: https://www.travisrebelsptsa.com/
Family & Mental Health Resources
Mental Health and School Safety Meetings with AISD District Leadership
AISD Mental Health Resource Guides
Parent Support Specialist
Please Download, Fill Out, and Return the Family Need Survey to Ms. Ralston
COMMUNITY RESOURCES & EVENTS
Austin Partiners in Education- APIE
Austin Public Library Cards
Travis Rebel Alumni & Community Organization
Lady Rebel Volleyball Schedule
Cross Country Schedule
TRAVIS ECHS LINKS AND DOCUMENTS
Bell Schedule & A/B Fridays