Schoology and Academy District 20
Where Learning Happens │ August 24, 2018
Where Are We Now? - The Weekly Update
We have over 200 pilot members at some stage of the Getting Started with Schoology course! There has been over 325 discussion posts and over 7500 page views. It’s great to see so many people interacting with Schoology!
What you can do:
- Link sections
- Import your materials from Resources to your active course
- Use the Google and Microsoft Assignment apps
- Connect with other educators
- Create units and lessons
- Curate resources
- Don’t forget about the Recent Activity feed - ask questions and provide feedback as necessary. It's great to see people helping each other!
- Please, do not distribute Access Codes to your IC courses. You will end up with duplicated students and later gradebook issues. Please submit a help ticket to email@example.com if you need assistance with duplicated students in your course(s).
- Parents won’t have their own 20Learn accounts during the fall semester.
- Grade passback between Schoology and IC isn’t available this semester.
- We are working on special roles for Resource teachers and paras. If you need temporary advisor capabilities until the technical process has been vetted, please submit a help ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
Keep in mind that we’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow. That participation is helping us work to meet your needs.
Congratulations and Thank You!
The school year is in full swing and 20Learn has been a part of that across the district.
We’ve had a few hiccups and learned a great deal, but overall, it’s been a very successful launch! Here’s what we’ve seen over the past 2 weeks:
- over 75,000 total visits
- Over a million page views
- Over 12,000 files uploaded
- Over 12,000 submissions
- Over 3700 comments posted
Here’s what we’ve learned:
- Old habits die hard, like distributing Access Codes to students. With our IC integration we don’t need to do that. (We can help fix that :-)).
- There are differences between the Schoology app and the browser version. It helps to check out the views to see the differences until you get used to them.
- Communication is key! When something unusual happens, communicate it to your DLC or us. We’re happy to help plus we won’t know what to fix or improve unless we hear from you.
- There are so many supportive, excited ASD20 staff members that have really helped us make this successful!
I’d like to give a big shout out to Ranch Creek Elementary for their activity within 20Learn, nice start! I’d also like to give a virtual high-five to Challenger Middle School for having over 420,000 page views and Pine Creek High School for having over 434,000 page views in the first 2 weeks - way to kick off the year!
How do I get my students logged in?
You’re logged in, but how do your students login? It’s easy to assume kids can login to 20Learn and get going, but it’s good to communicate to them exactly where and how to login. Simply googling Schoology won’t get them to the right place.
Here’s what to know:
- Our Schoology url is: https://asd20.schoology.com
- Students should not use a previously used account.
- Students need to use their IDemail@example.com email address and not their student.asd20.org address. Their password is their IC password.
- If a student is logging in with the app, they need to choose Academy District 20 as their school and not their individual school name.
- Please DO NOT give students Access Codes to join courses. They are already enrolled.
Do you have a student having difficulty logging in? You have DLCs and DTTs to help. You can also check the following:
- Can they successfully login to IC? If no, then there’s a problem with their password and they should see their DTT.
- Did they use a saved email and password to login (they may be incorrect).
- Are they at the correct website? Googling Schoology will not get them to the correct ASD20 Schoology site.
- Students need to use the complete email address, IDfirstname.lastname@example.org, in order to login.
- If they’re using the app, did they choose Academy District 20 as their school?
Have a great beginning to your school year!
What's New with Schoology?
Let's Get Started!
Are you still exploring our 20Learn, powered by Schoology, platform? Great! This is our pilot year, so it's the perfect time to explore and play with the features. Check out this section for some of those great getting started pointers and resources.
You’ll need to do your Grade Setup. There’s a link below to specific directions. This is important because any assignment you create in an active course needs to be attached to a Category. That Category (or those Categories) will need to be exactly the same as you would setup in IC. The Grading Periods are linked to IC, so you don’t need to create one. The Grading Scales provided are those most often used in IC, but you are still able to create one of your own.
In addition to the links here, the Resources section of this newsletter has some handy Reference Cards to download and print.
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.
Test/Quiz or Assessments? What's the difference?
- This is Schoology's legacy assessment creation tool. If you imported a Question Bank from ALEC, you'll use this assessment feature.
- This choice allows for feedback on question types.
- Yes, you can send your Test/Quiz assessments to the Assessments assessment tool.
- This is Schoology's new assessment creation tool.
- Assessments created here can be imported into Schoology's Asssessment Management Platform (AMP). AMP is a platform within Schoology that will be used at the District level for common assessment reporting and other high stakes tests.
- Assessments contains a broader choice of question types. Assessments is only available in the Enterprise version. This is new to previous Basic (free) users.
Not all question types from Test/Quiz are importing into Assessments the way Schoology would like at the moment. That is why both assessment creation options are available right now. Anticipate the Tests/Quiz option to sunset within the next year.
Migrating Your ALEC Resources to Schoology
You are able to import your ALEC files into Schoology. To assist in this process, we are creating backups for you! Use the attached PDF to assist you with downloading your ALEC files and uploading them to a Collection in your Resources.
Having problems migrating courses to Schoology? Here are some tips:
- Try downloading a backup without the question bank.
- Try choosing the Schoology option to import into a “New Collection” (see instructions).
- Submit a Help Desk ticket if problems persist. We're here to support you!
Please keep in mind that these are two different platforms. Things in Schoology may not look exactly the same as they did in ALEC. Join us in a support session if you have concerns.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
There are two (2) courses for you to join:
- In Schoology - Getting Started with Schoology = this is growing and developing course to walk you through the process of getting to know Schoology. Join code = 5XK69-CHSJH.
- In the SPOT - Schoology Support for Pilot Participants: Foundations and Best Practices = this is where you register in order to receive credit for your work. Course ID=1819-017-20.
Your support will include online instruction and resources in the Schoology platform, face-to-face drop in sessions throughout the summer and school year, webinars, plus additional workshops and formal training opportunities. Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!
Keep logging your hours!