May 8, 2020
5-8-2020 Teleschool Updates
Dear Hillside Community,
Happy Mother's Day weekend to all the wonderful mothers and guardians of our Hillside Huskies! Thank you for entrusting us with your children. :-)
Please see the following updates on Teleschool for Hillside.
Final 2 Weeks of School
Over the next 2 weeks, we will be wrapping up the school year.
- The week of 5/11-5/14, teachers will continue the same structure as normal; however, new content/standards will not be taught. Lessons will be based on previously learned skills, review, wrap-up of projects, and students have the opportunity to turn in work that wasn't turned in.
- The last week of school, 5/18-5/22, morning meetings and live sessions will be offered; however, those sessions will be devoted to celebrations/recognitions/fun activities.
- Improving semester average: If the work that a student turned in during teleschool for Term 4 is HIGHER than the student's Term 3 grade, then the teleschool average will be used in calculating their Semester grade. Only averages that result in a higher score will be used.
Mark these Dates
May 4- May 15: Turn in paper work-packets, library books, safety patrol belts
May 19th: Pick up belongings bag, drop off laptops (PK-4th. Last names A-L. See below for times)
May 21st: Pick up belongings bag, drop off laptops (PK-4th. Last names M-Z. See below for times)
May 21st: LIVE 5th Grade Ceremony- 6PM
May 22nd: 5th Grade Drive-thru Recognition- 10AM, Pick up belongings bag
REMINDERS from 5/1: Yearbooks, Paper work packets, Belongings, Library Books, 5th Grade Recognition
- Yearbook production is currently halted. Once they are printed, we will communicate the plan for distribution. We don't have a timeline at the moment.
- Paper work packets, Library Books- Beginning Monday, May 4th - Friday, May 15th from 9am-2pm, please begin turning in the following items to Hillside: Library books and Paper work packets (please indicate the student name and homeroom teacher). There will be bins at the front entrance of the school. Please place items in the appropriate bin(s).
- Belongings pick up and Laptop drop-off- (Pre-K to 4th Grade only) Belongings that have been left in the classroom (at tables, in cubbies/bins and Autism t-shirts that were ordered) will be packed by Hillside staff and available for pick-up on May 19th (9-12 for Last names A-F/ 1-3pm G-L)- and May 21st (9-12 for Last names M-R/ 1-3pm S-Z). Medications in the clinic will be available to pick up as well. In addition FCS distributed laptops must be turned in during those same times for 3rd and 4th graders. All 5th graders going to middle school may keep their laptop through the summer and return to the middle school in the fall. Lost and found items are being donated or discarded and will not be available for retrieval.
- Fifth Grade Recognition- On Thursday, May 21st at 6:00 pm we will host a non-traditional live recognition ceremony online to recognize our students for completing elementary school. (Link to join will be sent 5/17). On Friday, May 22nd at 10:00 am, following social distancing recommendations, we will recognize our fifth grade students in a drive-thru celebration at Hillside elementary. We are asking for one vehicle per family to come to Hillside and proceed in a structured parade to individually recognize our students. (Specifics on the lineup and the process will be sent 5/17). Fifth grade students will be given their belongings during the drive-thru.
Fourth Term Grades
Final grades this term are based on successful participation and completion of specific assignments. Please be sure your student has completed the "graded" assignments that have been due. Those assignments have been indicated each week in the lesson plans as "for a grade" or "must-do" assignments. If you have a question about the required graded assignment, please view the lesson plan or choice board. Contact the teacher for further clarification. If online work was not the Teleschool option you chose, then the paper packets must be turned in to account for your child's participation.
Students who did not attempt to participate, will receive an unsatisfactory grade and may be required to attend summer school in July. Please submit the necessary work to avoid having "Incomplete" assignment grades.
Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
- Click HERE for Pre-K Registration information
- Click HERE for Kindergarten Registration Information (and all other new students)
Please email Mrs. Teffeteller (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the process.
From Mrs. Simon, Media Specialist
Please watch our fourth episode of WDOG Teleschool Edition. (Make sure you toggle off the Autoplay next video feature on Vimeo.)
If your child wants to submit a short (school appropriate) video, please email it to Mrs. Simon at email@example.com. Enjoy!
Lesson Plans for May 11 - May 15
**Speech Language Therapists and Occupational Therapists will reach out directly to parents to schedule Teleschool sessions.
If you need any technical assistance, such as with Classlink, iReady, log-in information and more, please call the call center below. For content assistance, please email the teacher directly.
TeleSchool Call Center for Parents/Students
Open from 8 am -4 pm