News from your North Beach PTA
February 26, 2021
Dates to Remember
- February 1-26: Open Enrollment for School Choice
- Friday, February 26: Early Literacy Screener WA State Law General Session 6-7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 28: DEI Committee Meeting, 3-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 2: PTA General Meeting *ALL ARE WELCOME*, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Friday, March 9: Early Literacy Screener WA State Law General Session 6-7:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 12: Early Literacy Screener WA State Law General Session 6-7:30 p.m.
A Note from Our Principal
Hello North Beach families,
We welcome everyone back from mid-winter break. I hope everyone had a chance to relax a little bit, and at the very least, put down those devices and take a look at your surroundings, get outside for a walk and a breath of cold fresh air. The year is passing by quickly and before we know it, spring break will be here and not long after, the end of the 2020-2021 school year. It has been a trying experience, especially for our students, which is why it is so important to get those breaks away from the computers, and get some rest.
This week we had an amazing guest at our staff meeting. James Layman from AWSL (Association of Washington Student Leaders) led a professional development session for us called Reimagining Recess. A very dynamic personality, James spent 2 hours training us to rethink recess in our socially distant atmosphere and the staff can not wait to try it out on the students. He gave us ways to start immediately, online, as well as multiple ways to play when we all come back to the building.
As more information comes out concerning In-person learning, please continue to consult the district website https://www.seattleschools.org/resources.
Have a wonderful week.
North Beach Elementary
We had a great turnout this week at our Family Support Evening – thanks to all those who were able to join us! In case you missed it, Dr. Michelle Proulx spoke on Supporting Your Anxious Child in the context of the Pandemic. Dr. Proulx has made her Power Point available to us for reference. I invite you to take a look for some background information on childhood anxiety and specific tips on how adults can support children exhibiting anxious behaviors. As always, if you have specific concerns or questions about how your child is doing, please reach out to me, Alysa Reid, at email@example.com.
The BIG GIVE Update
The Big Give was a fantastic success, thank you to everyone who donated and participated in the Herbie’s HEART bingo.
Together we raised over $58,000 for our school and our students!
The PTA would like to make The Big Give a fun, engaging, and easy experience for all of our students and families.
Click here to take a three minute survey about your participation in The Big Give and Herbie’s HEART bingo.
If you haven’t had an opportunity to donate, I invite you to donate now. Donations to the North Beach Elementary PTA impacts every student and every classroom.
For more information about PTA funding click here.
Join the Kindergarten Ambassador Team!
Have an older student and North Beach and an incoming kindergartener?
Join the Kindergarten Ambassador Team!
This easy volunteer team creates a fun and dynamic way for future Seals and their caregivers to get to know the school, the PTA, and each other.
If you are interested in joining or have questions email Beth Carman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Literacy Screener WA State Law Regarding Dyslexia at SPS!
Early Literacy Screener WA State Law Regarding Dyslexia
Family Information Sessions Join us to learn about the Early Literacy Screener that will begin for students in grades K-2 in the 2021-22 school year. Information will be provided about the recent state law regarding dyslexia and what this means for your students.
Family Information Sessions February - March 2021
General Sessions, All Families
- General Session: Friday, February 26, 6-7:30 p.m.
- General Session: Friday, March 9, 6-7:30 p.m.
- General Session: Friday, March 12, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Black Family Community: Friday, March 5, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Asian Family Community: Tuesday, March 16, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Latinx Family Community: Friday, March 19, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Native American and Pacific Islander Family Community: Tuesday, March 23, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Somali and Oromo Family Community: Friday, March 26, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Amharic and Tigrinya Family Community: Tuesday, March 30, 6-7:30 p.m.
There is no registration required. Simply join the meeting during the session you would like to attend.
To all North Beach families:
The North Beach yearbook team has started collecting student portraits. As of 2/25/21, we have received portraits for: 33 students and 1 staff member.
We want to include a portrait of every one of our students from pre-school to 5th grade, all 20 classrooms!
We are not able to have the usual picture day with the Lifetouch photographers this year. There are several options, pick the one that is best for you and email the picture to the yearbook.
All student portraits should be submitted to the yearbook editor, Rhonda Estigoy, by: 4/1/21.
Email the image to email@example.com
subject line: student name, classroom number, teacher name, and grade.
Options for submitting photos:
1. Email your student's photo to the NB yearbook editor.
You can you use a smartphone to take a photo
- Max 200MB/file.
- Photo should be at least 640 X 800 pixels for best image quality.
- Must be in one of these photo formats: JPEG, PNG, or SVG for image uploads.
Please refer to the prior NB yearbooks for an example of the standard student portrait
· Portraits show the child from mid chest to top of head. No hats please.
· Student is looking straight at the camera.
· Please photograph your student against a plain background (ie: light blue, light grey, white), so that the background is not distracting. If you prefer a different background, the student's face should be highlighted.
· If needed, you can submit a few photos for the editor to choose.
2. Submit student portrait from another photography studio.
Email the digital image to the yearbook editor.
3. Use Lifetouch+Shutterfly Picture Day Snaps @Home.
Take your student’s photo at home using an app.
· Download the free Shutterfly: Cards & Gifts App.
· Open the Shutterfly App, and go to the link for: Picture Day Snaps @Home.
· Choose a photo package. Portrait packages start at $4.99-$14.99.
· You are the photographer, lighting designer, child wrangler, etc.
· Please select the blue background.
· Each photo package gives you the Shutterfly digital image.
. After purchase, email the digital image to the yearbook editor.
The Snaps @ Home on the Shutterfly App will be available through March 2021.
4. Individual student photos can be obtained by NB yearbook team.
Arrange to get your student's photo taken with a digital camera.
· Reserve a date and time for the yearbook editor to meet you and your student at your home, at a local park, or any location that is convenient for you, to get that photo taken.
· Safety precautions will be used.
· Photos can be done on most Mondays, some Wednesdays, and some weekends days in February and March. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up.
By submitting this photo you are giving permission for it to be used in the 2020-21 North Beach yearbook. The yearbook will be hard copy only and photos will not be used in any electronic media.
ORDER YOUR NORTH BEACH ELEMENTARY 2020-2021 YEARBOOK NOW YEARBOOK SALES OPEN UNTIL 5/1/21
The yearbook team has been working hard to create the 2020-2021 yearbook. The yearbook will include all 20 classes, the 5th grade baby photos, and the NB staff photos.
Send in your student's portrait to the yearbook editor at: email@example.com. See Konstella and the Beachcomber for photo requirements.
If you are interested in purchasing a NB yearbook, please see click here.
Yearbook cost: $15.33 per book. If you would like to order additional yearbooks for donation to other families, please indicate that on your order form.
School Board Meetings are online!
Attending School Board Meetings no longer requires driving and parking downtown! The board meets for regular meetings twice a month, and special meetings throughout the month. Reopening plans, construction projects, curriculum - decisions are discussed and made. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about attending a meeting to help us track what is happening. You can find out more here.
Join Seattle Special Education PTSA!
If you have been considering joining the Seattle Special Education PTSA, now is the time! Please visit their website and do it now. www.seattlespecialeducationptsa.org.
Support North Beach Elementary When You Shop!
Community News & Events (The programs below are not endorsed by either North Beach PTA or SPS, and are posted for informational purposes only.)
Attention all Baseball, Softball, and Tee-Ball players!
Northwest Seattle Little League ("NWSLL") opened for registration on January 1st!
NWSLL has served our local NW Seattle neighborhoods since 1959 and is chartered through Little League Baseball, offering a variety of divisions for baseball and softball as well as numerous volunteer opportunities. NWSLL’s boundaries extend from Puget Sound to I-5 and from 85th Street to 145th Street. And our home fields are at Soundview (next to Whitman), Crown Hill (off Holman Road), and Northacres(near Haller Lake).
On-time registration for Kid-Pitch players (ages 8 thru 12) ran through February 21st. After February 21stregistration for Kid-Pitch teams is based on availability. Our Kid-Pitch players (ages 8 thru 12) have their Evaluation Day on February 27th to assist in creating balanced teams.
For players age 8 and younger (who play Coach-Pitch or Tee-Ball), teams start up later (mid-April), so we accept registrations through late March. We plan on creating those teams around March 21st and will continue to accept registrations as roster spots remain. All Coach-Pitch and Tee-Ball events are held at our Crown Hill Field on Holman Road, and we honor all buddy requests when building teams. Lastly, NWSLL liberally grants scholarship requests to families in need of assistance. Our goal is to help every kid play ball who wants to enjoy the game with friends!
Please visit http://nwsll.org/ to learn more and register online.
Questions? Please send email to email@example.com
Boys & Girls Club
Registration Information and enrollment paperwork is available at: http://positiveplace.org/locations/childcare/Pages/northbeachchildcare.aspx
The school-aged program at Small Faces serves kindergarten through fifth grade children. At the end of the school day, a school bus takes kids to Small Faces Center where they are greeted by teachers and offered a snack before the program activities begin. Doors close at 6pm. Contact Kathy Brockman with questions and to enroll: firstname.lastname@example.org
Illumination Learning Studio
Illumination Learning Studio provides After School Programs for children K-5. We provide transportation after school each day. This is an arts-focused educational program. Please visit our website for more information https://www.illuminationlearningstudio.com/.
Article submissions for this newsletter are due by 5:00pm Wednesdays. Please send articles to email@example.com
The Beachcomber is brought to you by your North Beach Elementary PTA.