The Wolves Den
What is up and coming...
3/8 Daylight Savings Time
3/11 PTO Meeting @ 6pm
3/13 No School for students- Staff Development Day
3/17 St. Patrick's Day
3/19 First day of Spring
3/20 End of 3rd Quarter
3/23 - 3/27 Spring Break No School
3/30 Pizza Ranch Night Fundraiser 4-7pm
- Please check out our daily announcements each and every day
- If you have any unwanted playing cards, board games or outdoor equipment that you and your family no longer use, please consider donating it to our teachers. We have indoor and outdoor recess and would love more games and equipment
- Here is a link for our full calendar
- Infinite Campus Parent portal link
- If you are having trouble with Infinite Campus, please contact Cindi Sprang at 920.663.9574
- Here is a reminder of our cell phone policy... it's all about learning
The Principal Pack
Hello Fellow Wolves Families,
Please let me introduce myself. My name is Vicki Ritchie and I have recently begun working at WMS as the Interim Associate Principal. I am a fellow Manitowoc County resident, and had worked for the previous 30+ years in the Sheboygan Area School District. Just before I retired, I was the Principal of Horace Mann Middle School for ten years.
I have two daughters, Al (25) and Asha (21) with my husband of 29 years, Juinor. (No this is not a spelling error.) We have a black lab mix named Paxton, and a very old, cranky cat named Willow. Outside of school time, I enjoy fishing, attending sporting activities, and visiting Ashland, WI where my youngest daughter attends college.
I am happily beginning to get to know the students, staff, and families of Washington MS and really look forward to continuing to do so. Hopefully, I will see you at the Leap into Skating event on Saturday, February 29!
Apps, Texting Lingo, and All things Middle School
What APPS are Middle Schoolers Using?
YOLO which stands for You Only Leave Once is an anonymous message app. that allows the user to ask questions and give answers to others. The app runs in connection to Snapchat and allows the user to post anonymous questions and comment on stories posted in Snapchat. A user need to have a Snapchat account, download YOLO and link the two apps together. For further information, here is a parent guide to YOLO.
- NGL: Not Gonna Lie
- AB: About
- ILY: I Love You
- HMU: Hit Me Up (Text Me)
Facts on JUULING
- As of November 2019, 42 deaths and more than 2,000 cases of serious lung illness related to e-cigarettes have been reported
- Brain imaging studies of adolescents who began smoking at a young age had markedly reduced activity in the prefrontal cortex of the brain, an area critical for a person’s cognitive behavior and decision making, leading to increased sensitivity to other drugs and greater impulsivity
- Since teens often use multiple pods in one sitting, they can unknowingly become exposed to unsafe levels of nicotine that can have immediate and long-term health consequences
Advisory Starts Our Day
Take A Look Thursday
If you haven't seen your child's Friday Folder lately, please feel free to contact their advisory teacher.
Character Education is the focus on Tuesdays. This month is all about Collaboration: Building Relationships, working together, supporting each other, and learning from others. Wednesdays this month is about learning new fun brain breaks and having time for relaxation coloring. Students will also have a mini lesson on coping with sadness and learn beginner yoga moves. Mondays are all about mindset and students will be learning the 8 habits of successful people and how to apply it to their own lives.
Connecting to others, our learning, and our future
Red Cup Challenge
7th Graders had a team bonding afternoon. The red cup challenges and activities were all about collaboration and fun.
Gravity and Brooms
Student learned about gravity and the affects on a broom in their family consumer ed class
Our mural club has started and students are learning all about the process of painting a mural. They have already started beautifying our school
Red Cup Challenge
Gravity and Brooms
"Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we're all in this together." --Brené Brown
Thank you for helping your children complete their course selection forms for next year. It is very helpful for students to have family support in making course selections. We hope to finalize this process during the month of March.
We continue to lead several small groups each week to focus on building connections with students. We are preparing for a career expo field trip for all 7th graders in April. You will be getting more information in the future. We will have another field trip with some students in May to Lakeland University.
Assessment season is soon approaching. Shortly after spring break, Washington Middle School will be administering the Forward test. Please make sure your sons and daughters get enough rest and a good breakfast on testing days.
This can be a stressful time of year for many students and adults because of the long winter, dark days, and very few breaks. Consider spending more time outside in the sunlight to increase energy and moods. Try taking family walks around the neighborhood or go sledding for some additional fun.
Just remember, spring break is right around the corner!
We are excited to be connecting with students, learning goals, and future plans. Please feel free to reach out to our counselors if you have any questions.
Mrs. Johannes 920.663.7714 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Gleason 920.663.9826 email@example.com