The B.Y.E. Buzz
March 28, 2022
Happy Spring Break! Please enjoy your week and unplug from school. A reminder that our teachers will not be working next week. If you reach out, they might not respond quickly.
Check out our entertaining second graders at their program!
We are excited to finish the last quarter of the school year strong. Please remember to send a water bottle and snack with your child to school each day.
Counseling Lesson Theme- Career Awareness
Elementary school is not too early to start teaching your child about career awareness. Making career decisions is a lifelong process about exploring and experiencing the world of work. It is important for your child to become aware of how his or her education is connected to a successful future.
While in Elementary school, you can help your child:
Discover the variety of jobs available to him or her
Connect what he/she is learning in school to real-world situations
Imagine him/herself in an occupation
Develop work-readiness skills such as working and playing with others, making decisions, solving problems, and being a leader!
Discuss different skills and interests your child has and relate them to certain jobs. For example, a reporter needs writing skills to create newspaper articles or blogs.
By talking with your child about the link between school and careers, you will help your child understand that school is important and that school success can open doors to his or her career. This career resource goes more in depth with the tips listed above.
VP Fundraising (with a volunteer helping with transition)
Plan and Execute Color Run- school’s largest fundraiser
● Determine theme, t-shirt design, prizes
● Secure company sponsorships- contact previous donors and recruit new
● Create student pledge packets and distribute
VP Events (with a volunteer helping with transition)
● Coordinate Color Run day- work with principal to determine run schedule, schedule volunteers, set up/take down of event. Oversee the Color Run day.
● Order prizes and coordinate volunteers to make and distribute prize bags to students
● Coordinate class parties for winning classes (most laps ran, top fundraisers)
Pippin Apple Field Day
● Determine theme and t shirt design
● Coordinate events of field day- secure games, bounce houses, volunteers etc.
● work with principal to determine schedule
● Oversee entire field day event- set up/take down
VP of Parent Relations:
- Coordinate the PTA membership drive at the beginning of the year
- Supervise the Homeroom Parent Committee and assist in planning the 3 classroom parties
- Plan family events and work as Parent Liaison when needed
Check out our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BYEPTA/
Who Are You Buzzing About?
Starting this week, we will be giving out Buzz Awards to our Young teachers and staff. We need YOU to help us recognize those who go above and beyond for our school. As you go through the week, feel free to nominate staff who do extraordinary things! If you see or hear something that is worthy of a Buzz Award, simply fill out this quick form to nominate someone. Awards will be given out each Friday.
We need your plastic!
Our school qualified for an opportunity to benefit the school and the planet--by recycling #2 plastics! Boston Mountain Solid Waste Company will melt down #2 plastics to make a heavy-duty bench for our school. We need to collect 2000 plastic bottles/containers by May 1 to win the bench.
We are requesting that you send us your bottles/containers so we can hit this goal. Students my bring the items to Mrs. Huffmaster's classroom (room 208) in the mornings or after school.
We cannot accept clear jugs/bottles/containers-they must be solid. When in doubt, check to see if you can see light through it-if you can, we can't use it.
Check out some examples below:
March 21-25- Spring Break
April 11- First Grade Program
April 12- Class Pictures
April 18- April 22 MAP K-2
April 21-22- 4/5 trip to Har-Ber
April 25-April 29 ACT Aspire
May 2-May 13 MAP 3-5 and Aspire makeups
May 6- First grade to Library
May 19- Kindergarten Celebration
May 20- 5th Grade Celebration
May 25- Pippin Apple Field Day
May 26- Last student day of school
About our School
- Bernice Young Elementary was established in August 2000.
- School mascot is the Yellowjacket
- School colors are Red, Yellow, and Black
- National Blue Ribbon School 2020
- Principal- Christy Norwood
- Assistant Principal- Sara Kennedy