How Prevalent is it?
Bill Hendrick from WebMd Health News states:
- 3 out of 1,000 kids ages 6-17 are diagnosed in the U.S.
- 3 times more common in males
- 79% of kids with tourette's have at least one additional mental health or neurodevelopmental condition
- there is no big difference between cultures
- there is no known exact cause
- likely caused by a combination of inherited and environmental factors
- neurotransmitters, like dopamine and serotonin, are likely to play a role
- eye blinking
- shoulder shrugging
- repeating observed movements
Vocal tics - intermittent sounds
- throat clearing
- repeating others' and one's own words
- vulgar, obscene, or swear words
Are There Treatments?
-Treatments are aimed to control tics
-There is medication:
- blocks or lessens dopamine
- injections into affected muscle
- ADHD Meds
-There is also therapy:
- behavioral therapy
- DBS=implanting a batter operated medical device that supresses symptoms
What if I Have Questions?
Famous People with Tourette Syndrome
Turning Tourette's into Fun!
11 Famous People with Tourette's Syndrome. (n.d.). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-with-tourettes-syndrome/celebrity-lists
Eapen, V., & Robertson, M. M. (n.d.). Clinical Correlates of Tourette's Disorder Across Cultures: A Comparative Study Between the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. Retrieved May 16, 2016, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2292447/
Having fun with Tourette's. (n.d.). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.psychforums.com/tourette-syndrome/topic65175.html
Hendrick, B. (n.d.). How Common Is Tourette's Syndrome? Retrieved May 13, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/children/news/20090604/how-common-is-tourette-syndrome
Tourette syndrome. (2015). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tourette-syndrome/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20163628
Tourette syndrome. (2015, November 21). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tourette-syndrome/symptoms-causes/dxc-20163624
What is Tourette Syndrome? (n.d.). Retrieved May 13, 2016, from http://www.tourette.org.au/about-tsaa/what-is-tourette-syndrome/