Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of May 30 - June 1
FIELD TRIP ON TUESDAY!
- We are looking forward to our field trip on Tuesday, May 31 to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science!
- Please make sure your child brings a sack lunch that day, unless you have ordered a boxed lunch from the museum. Let us know if a school lunch is needed.
- Your child needs to wear their purple tie-dyed t-shirt.
- Also, please make sure your child wears comfortable walking shoes.
- Students do not need to bring their backpacks to school. However, they can bring a small backpack (like they did for Outdoor School) if they'd like.
- They may also bring their iPad on the field trip for photo purposes only.
End of Year Celebrations NEXT WEEK!
- The Graduation Ceremony is on Wednesday, June 1st at 8:45 A.M.
- There will be cake and bottles of water for the students and family following the ceremony.
- Our End of Year Party will take place right after the graduation ceremony and cake.
- Our Balloon Release will start at 12:15 on Thursday, June 2nd. The students will march through the halls of ICE as the other grades cheer them on. They will end at the front of the building whey they will release their balloons.
End of Year SLIDESHOW!
- We are asking that you please send your child's homeroom teacher a baby picture and a current picture of your child.
- This is always a highlight of our ceremony as the students love to see pictures of their friends, especially when they were babies. It's also a way for us to celebrate your child.
- If you are having trouble sending pictures via email, you can also send them in to school. We want to make sure no student is left out of the slideshow.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email your child's homeroom teacher, or Mrs. Finley at email@example.com.
Hawaiian Falls Family Spirit Night
Come join the Indian Creek PTA and celebrate the beginning of SUMMER VACATION!!
When: Thursday, June 2nd
Where: Hawaiian Falls in The Colony
What Time: 4:30 - 8:30
- $20 ticket (3 and up) - includes unlimited drink pass
- $75 season pass
- $7 hot dog picnic (includes hot dog, chips and a cookie)
- $3 Treat Wristband (includes one cotton candy -or- 1 shaved ice)
Please see order form attached in your child's homeroom teacher's email.
Summer Reading Programs
Barnes & Noble Imagination Destination – This program begins May 20, 2015, and runs through September 2. Kids can earn a FREE book after they read eights books and log them on the reading sheet. This is for grades K–5.
Book Adventure – This is a free program offered by Sylvan Learning. Kids in grades K–8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to quiz on what they've read, and earn prizes for their reading success. Prizes include chocolate bars, temporary tattoos, Highlights magazine and more.
Chuck E. Cheese's – Earn 10 FREE tokens each time your child reads for two weeks in a row. Complete the form to claim the free tokens. A food purchase is required.
Half Price Books – Kids who read a total of 300 minutes each month can earn $5 Back to School Bucks with the Feed Your Brain program. Parents may read to kids who are still learning. Download a printable reading log. This program runs through July, and the HPB Bookworm Bucks coupons are valid through August 27.
PBS Kids Summer Reading Camp – PBS is teaming up with Education.com to offer a Summer Reading Camp. They have everything you need to host 10 fun weeks of reading camp. There is a new theme each week with topics like bugs, heros, music, animals and more!
Pizza Hut Book It! Program – This program has free reading adventure packs for parents to download, read and do activities. There are also recipes for children that tie back to certain books. Schools can win free pizza for participating. Homeschoolers can also enter this program.
Pottery Barn Kids – They offer free story time for kids on Tuesdays at 11 a.m. After kids attend five story times, they get a free gift. Plus, throughout the summer, families are invited to read each book at the weekly story time. Kids receive a free book after they finish reading all of the books on the list.
Public Libraries – Check your local library for more free reading programs with activities and incentives for kids of all ages. Most libraries also have story times and other reading-themed activities.
Scholastic Summer Challenge – Children can log in their reading minutes and earn rewards. Students can participate individually or as part of their school. The school that logs the most minutes reading will get a visit from the author of the Captain Underpants series. This program runs through September 5, 2015.
TD Bank – Kids can read 10 books this summer, then log them on the free summer reading log. Take the completed form in to your nearest TD Bank and get $10 deposited into your new or existing young savers account.
Important Dates to Remember!
Monday, May 30 - School Holiday
Tuesday, May 31 - 5th Grade Field Trip
Wednesday, June 1 - End of Year Celebration @ 8:45 am
Wednesday, June 1 - End of Year Party (after ceremony)
Thursday, June 2 - Balloon Release in the front of the school @ 12:15 pm
Thursday, June 2 - Last Day of School, Early Release at 12:30
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES