December 19, 2014
We learned about Christmas, Hanukkah, and a variety of gingerbread stories!
Look at what we did!
- We read Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett, The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant, and The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg. We focused on identifying the most important parts of each of the 3 stories. With Gingerbread Baby, after we identified the important parts, we compared it to other versions of the story. With The Relatives Came and The Polar Express, we used the important parts to break the stories into the beginning, middle, and end.
- In word work, we practiced the letters, V, W, X, and Y. We have FINALLY gotten through all 26 letters!
- In writing, we wrote stories with a beginning, middle, and end. We tried to include as many details as possible in both the picture and the words!
- In math, we revisited addition, but with sums through 10. Again we had to use simple pictures to help us solve the problem. We also learned about measurement comparisons. We talked about objects' length, height, and weight and then compared them to things around us.
- We visited all 3 kindergarten classrooms to enjoy activities about winter holidays!
- We also watched "The Polar Express" and compared the movie to the book!
Here are the sight words we are currently working on. Please review these words with your child. Writing sentences, flash cards, and pointing out the sight words around them or in Take Home Books are all great ways to practice the words. We have found that when your child is able to read the words with little hesitation, they are much more successful with reading the books at their level because they can then focus on decoding other unknown words in texts.
I, can, see, a, go, to, like, the, look, at, me, my, am, is, we, will, you, are
Here are topics that we will discuss after Winter Break.
- Martin Luther King, Jr
Upcoming Event and Reminders
- Mon, Dec 22 - Fri, Jan 2: Winter Break
- Fri, Jan 16: End of 2nd Quarter
- Mon, Jan 19: MLK Holiday. No school for anyone.
- Tues, Jan 20: Teacher Workday. No school for students.
Next week, we will…
sleep in and enjoy winter break!
Happy Holidays & Happy New Year
The K Team