Welcome to the BHS Express
A newsletter keeping you informed about Batavia High School
March 17, 2023
Andrea Conner, BHS Principal
Hello Bulldog Families.
The time change didn’t stop the energy at BHS this week! March 14th was a busy day with something for every student. Make sure you scroll through a few of the photos that capture the experiences in which our students were engaged.
Our sophomores and juniors spent Tuesday taking a LEAP Diagnostic ACT and the state-funded ACT test. I am very proud of how seriously our students took these assessments. Make sure you check the flyer linked into this newsletter about the FREE class on March 29th at 7:00 p.m. It’s ideal for families with 10th or 11th grade students and outlines some of the important timelines for college-entrance testing. Here is a direct link to register for this event: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5332544962601206616
This time of the year gets really busy for high school students and families, so make sure you review some of the important dates noted in this newsletter. We have the ELA II End of Course test the week before spring break. Due to the length of both parts of this assessment, we will have a two-hour delayed start for students who ARE NOT required to test. Please review that information below.
Although this was a busy week, I found myself feeling quite proud as I watched our students and staff interact with one another. The highlight of our day on Tuesday was the impromptu dodge ball game in the gym where it was evident that even high school kids like recess!
We truly feel fortunate to get to spend our days with your students. They challenge us, make us laugh, and engage in really thoughtful conversations. Thank you for supporting us as we continue to help them grow into awesome young adults.
In service to our Bulldogs.
Andrea Conner, High School Principal
March 14 College Visits, Senior Service, CPR/AED Training
BPA Once Again Earns Several State Awards and Qualifies for Nationals
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
- All students who must take either prescription or over-the-counter medications at school must have proper documentation on file in the high school clinic. Students may not carry their own medications or take them throughout the school day without following proper procedures. If you have questions, please call the high school at 513-732-2341 and ask for the school nurse.
- The following link contains information that was reviewed at the 8th Grade High School Scheduling Meeting that was held on Wednesday, February 8, 2023. Review this information to stay informed about your student's high school scheduling experience. Class of 2027 Scheduling Presentation
- If you are a family of a 10th or 11th grade student, please join the free webinar on March 29 at 7:00 p.m. to learn more about organizing a successful college-entrance testing experience. Review the information in this link: Free Online Class from LEAP
- Make sure to check out our high school musical. BHS Musical
- Please consider attending one of the High School performances of The Music Man on March 23-26 at Batavia Elementary School. We have students from all three buildings involved and they are excited to perform for you! We have been working hard for the last two months preparing for these performances. Singing, dancing, learning lines, finding costumes, and working together as a large group are the reasons the students become a part of the musical. The end result is a celebration of what they have been able to create together. We hope you can come! Order your tickets now, or pay at the door. https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/72810
- From 3/20 to 3/31 students from the Las Ramblas chapter of Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica will be supporting the Pulsera Project during lunch. Hand woven bracelets ($7) from Nicaragua and bags ($15) from Guatemala will be sold supporting these international artisans. All money goes to the Pulsera Project, this is not a SHH fundraiser. Please help us "Color the world"!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT UPDATES
March 22, 2023: Local Scholarship Interview Day for Seniors
March 23-25, 2023: Spring Musical at 7:00 p.m. at Batavia Elementary School
March 26, 2023: Spring Musical at 2:00 p.m. at Batavia Elementary School
March 28, 2023: ELA II Part I EOC test (Students not taking assessment arrive by 9:30 a.m. Students who must ride the bus will have a study hall.)
March 29, 2023: ELA II Part II EOC test (Students not taking assessment arrive by 9:30 a.m. Students who must ride the bus will have a study hall.)
March 29, 2023: 7:00 p.m.: Live webinar for families of 10th and 11th grade students concerning college-readiness testing. Reference the flyer above.
April 3-10, 2023: Spring Break
April 11, 2023: First day back from Spring Break
April 12, 2023: Geometry EOC Test. (ALL students report to school at regular time.)
April 13, 2023: Government EOC Test. (All students report to school at regular time.)
April 18, 2023: US History EOC Test (All students report to school at regular time.)
April 19, 2023: Biology EOC Test (All students report to school at regular time.)
April 22, 2023: Prom
April 25, 2023: Algebra Part I EOC Test (Students not taking assessment arrive by 9:30 a.m. Students who must ride the bus will have a study hall.)
April 26, 2023: Algebra Part II EOC Test (Students not taking assessment arrive by 9:30 a.m. Students who must ride the bus will have a study hall.)
Batavia High School Football is conducting their mulch sale fundraiser. Please review the attached flyer and click on the ordering link if interested. 2023 BHS Football Mulch Sale Fundraiser
Check out this flyer to show support for our students attending the BPA National Competition: 100 Club Campaign
INFORMATION FROM THE BHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Check out the Batavia High School Guidance Counselor website.
Your Guidance Counselors are:
9th - 12th Grade Counselor A-L
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7037
9th - 12th Grade Counselor M-Z
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7036
- Great Oaks Decision Letters
- Any student that applied to Great Oaks by the February 7th priority deadline will be receiving a decision letter in the mail at some point in the next two weeks. The first round of letters were being mailed out by Great Oaks today, so look for those and any additional information from Great Oaks. If you or your child have questions, please follow up with Mrs. Grooms or Mrs. Poling.
- CCP Intent forms due April 1 in the Guidance Office
- Hence, to meet this deadline intent forms must be submitted to the Guidance office prior to Spring Break.
INFORMATION FROM THE BATAVIA ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
Mark Pierson, Athletic Director
Tim Young, Assistant Athletic Director
Link to Athletic Website:https://bataviaathletics.com/
BATAVIA HIGH SCHOOL OFFICE CONTACTS
513-732-2341, ext. 7051
Matt Buis, Assistant Principal
513-732-2341, ext. 7052
Melissa Anstaett, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7055
Edie Strine, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7054
If your student is absent, call
513-732-2341 and leave a message on the attendance line