Aiming to Keep You Informed
May 28, 2021
From the Office
Having a 4-day weekend for students is not only a nice time to rest and relax after a very challenging school year, but it is also a great opportunity for students to catch up on any work that may be missing for classes prior to the end of the year. Parents, please take a moment this weekend to check with your child to see if they are current with all of their assignments and prepared for any upcoming projects or assessments occuring during the last days of the school year. Please reach out to your child's teacher should you have any questions or concerns.
On Monday, America will honor the courageous men and women who sacrificed their lives while serving in the U.S. Military. If you would like to learn more about Memorial Day you may find this information from History.com helpful.
8th Grade Graduation Ceremony - June 2, 2021 @ 4:30pm
Date: Wednesday, June 2nd
Location: Lake Park West HS Stadium (500 W Bryn Mawr Ave, Roselle, IL 60172)
Arrival Time for Students: 3:45PM
Tickets: 6 per family for Outdoor Ceremony (2 per family if Indoors)
Seating for Families: Home Bleachers
Parking & Entrances: Please refer to this map for a visual of the layout at Lake Park West
Dismissal Time on June 2nd for 8th Grade Students: 11:00AM (Buses will be available)
Rehearsal Date & Time: June 2nd @ 8:30AM in the New Gym
*All 8th Grade students planning on attending the 4:30PM Ceremony, are REQUIRED TO ATTEND our rehearsal at 8:30AM at Westfield.
*If weather does not allow us to be outside, we will be using the LPHS West Gymnasium.
New Assistant Principal for 2021/2022
We are pleased to announce that Mrs. Amanda Vreeland will be our new Assistant Principal starting in August 2021. Mrs. Vreeland currently serves as our Science Department Chair and teaches 8th grade Science. Please join us in welcoming Mrs. Vreeland to her new role!
We would like to wish our current Assistant Principal, Mrs. Nicole Gabany, all the best in her new role as the Director of Curriculum for District 13, starting in July 2021. We are grateful for Mrs. Gabany's service to the students, parents, and staff at Westfield for the last 6 years and we look forward to continuing to benefit from her leadership as she transitions to a new district role!
8th Grade Chromebooks
Please see the important information below from our Technology Department regarding 8th grade chromebooks.
8th Grader's Chromebooks:
WARRIOR OF THE WEEK
Each week the staff recognizes students for demonstrating outstanding character based on attitudes or actions that fall under the Character Counts Pillars and our WARRIORS Mission and Vision.
Please visit our Google Calendar for all activities and schedules!
- NO SCHOOL/Memorial Day: May 31st
- Mandatory 8th Grade Graduation Rehearsal: (Tickets given to students) June 2nd at 8:30-11:00am---bus riders have bus service at 11:00am
- 8th Grade ONLY 11am Dismissal: June 2nd (last day for 8th grade)
- Graduation Ceremony: June 2nd, 4:30 pm at Lake Park HS - WEST Stadium TICKETS REQUIRED for entry
- LAST DAY for 6th & 7th grades: June 8th
5th to 6th Grade Transition
Westfield teachers and staff will be sharing a Welcome Video soon with incoming 6th graders and their parents to introduce our new Warriors to life at Westfield. Mr. Larsson & Mrs. Gabany will also be visiting with both Erickson and DuJardin 5th graders in late May/early June to share information about Westfield and answer student questions.
In addition, we are planning to host a 6th Grade Camp in mid-August and will be sharing more information with incoming 6th grade parents & guardians in the near future. The 6th grade camp is free and provides students with an opportunity to meet new classmates and allows students to familiarize themselves with our building and their class schedule.
We are excited to meet our new 6th grade students next week and look forward to welcoming them and their families to Westfield for the 2021/2022 school year! If you have any questions, please contact our Main Office at anytime at 630-529-6211.
If you feel that your child is struggling on a social-emotional level, please do not hesitate to contact our Social Worker, Mrs. Sheila Zagotta, and she can work with you to coordinate supports for your child for both inside and outside of the classroom.
The Middle School years can be very tricky for students to navigate even during the best of times, so with a uniquely challenging year like this one, it's even more important for all of the adults in a child's life to collaborate on supporting each student's needs. We are here to help, so please reach out if we can be of assistance and we will continue to do the same!
Paper is a support that connects students in grades 1-8 to a live, human tutor in that content area via chat. Students can access this support through their school login whenever they have questions on homework, would like someone to review an essay, or need help reviewing for an assessment. Please see this video for Parent Information on Paper tutorial for more information. (Papel para Padres en Español)
Please contact the Main Office at 630-529-6211 to report any student absences. We also ask that parents/guardians notify the Main Office if your child is listed for In-Person Learning, but will be attending classes Remotely for the day. This will help us to keep accurate records of every student present in our building. Thank you!
7th Graders - Spanish Course for 8th Graders next year
All current 7th graders who are interested in taking our year-long Spanish 1 course in 8th grade next year, are asked to complete our Spanish 1 interest form by Friday, May 21st.
WESTFIELD THIS WEEK
ORDER YOUR YEARBOOK TODAY
- Click the blue link below
- Create an account, or log in to your existing account
- Yearbooks will be shipped directly to your home
- If you need the Westfield passcode: 1014041382501890
8th Grade Parents/Students: Viewing and Ordering Graduation Pictures
- Color Portraits emailed you an individual code to preview your graduation pictures and purchase them if you like.
- If you have questions, please email Color Portraits at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Customer Service at: 847-382-7505, ext. 7
Upcoming Student Council Events
- Bloomingdale SeptemberFest on Saturday, September 11th
Want to give someone a shout out?
Parents/Guardians: Please Call in Your Student's Absence (even if they are 'full remote')
FROM WESTFIELD TECHNOLOGY
RETURNING STUDENT ONLINE REGISTRATION IS OPEN for School Year 2021-2022!
Click the blue link for all the info you need to know:
Enrolling a BRAND NEW Student to District 13 AND Starting in August 2021?
If you need assistance from the Technology Department, please use this link to request support:
Students: Please log out of your Chromebook and log back in daily
See this video on how to log in and out of your chromebook.
Otus Student Progress for 6th Grade Parents
Get the Parent PowerSchool App
Similar to the PowerSchool Parent Web Portal, parents can download the PowerSchool Mobile App from the App store on your iOS device or the Play Store on your Android device. Simply search for “PowerSchool” to find and install the mobile app on your smartphone or tablet.
- After downloading the mobile app to your device, connect the Mobile App to the correct PowerSchool server for Bloomingdale School District 13, by entering our unique, four-character code: G M K T
- You can also search for Bloomingdale SD13 by district or school name.
- The PowerSchool Mobile App will display your child(ren)’s schedule and assignments.
- PowerSchool Mobile app users can also enable Push Notifications to receive alerts when attendance is recorded or a final grade changes. To setup notifications within the app: Tap Account, then tap Notifications to configure the notifications you want to receive. Use the slider icons to turn the notifications on or off.
- Note: Parents must have a PowerSchool Parent Web Portal account created and students linked to their account before using the PowerSchool Mobile App. Click here for instructions on how to create a parent Portal account.
FROM THE WESTFIELD SOCIAL WORKER
The Glenbard Parent Series
Join other parents, high school and middle school students, and professionals to learn about issues facing today’s youth such as Student Social Skills and Anxiety, Rethinking Parental Pressure.
The Glenbard Parent Series engages top experts, parents and school staff to become proactive and informed in pursuit of the mutual goal to strengthen our communities. Programs are free and open to the public. Coming in August 2021:
Parents, please complete this needs assessment:
Roselle Community Food Pantry
FROM THE WESTFIELD NURSE
Discard Your Masks Safely
By cutting the ear straps on your masks before throwing them away, you can prevent wildlife from getting tangled in them. If the straps aren’t snipped, the loops can easily catch onto an animal’s legs or wings, and animals can easily choke on or consume them, leading to fatal bowel obstructions.
WESTFIELD'S PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION (PTO)
BLOOMINGDALE PARK DISTRICT
WESTFIELD SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
- How to delete all email (6th grade)
- How to appropriately write an email
- You can only email other sd13.org email addresses
- Creating Bookmarks
- Starring and snoozing Emails
- How to Join Classroom(with Code)
- How to Join with Teacher Invite
- Check Stream and classwork page
- How to Turn in assignments
PowerSchool: Coming Soon