Principal's Message November 1-5
What a Week!
- Best Group: Specials Team "-Licious Series" (not pictured)
- 1st Place Individual: Ms. Z. Williams- Little Bo Peep
- 2nd Place Individual: Ms. Nelson- Miss Frizzle
- Most Creative: Ms. Smith- Rainbow Fish
We also completed an important task this week connected to student achievement. All teachers set student achievement goals around growth or proficiency metrics aligned to our Comprehensive School Plan. I will talk more about this at next week's LSAT meeting, but the key part of this process is that teachers set goals that line up with school leaders' goals which are aligned to the goals of our Comprehensive School Plan and all of our goals are directed at our student groups that have experienced historic opportunity gaps, Black students and students with disabilities. The bottom line is we're all working together with a focus on closing gaps and raising achievement overall. Again, more at LSAT next week.
- Oct 29 - Nov 9 - Watkins Book Fair
- Nov 2 - Election Day No School for students
- Nov 3 - 7pm LSAT
- Nov 5 - No school for students; end of Term 1.
- Nov 8 - Term 2 Begins. New specials classes for Watkins students.
- Nov 11- Veteran's Day. No school for staff or students.
- Nov 24-26 Thanksgiving Holiday!
Every Thursday: Asymptomatic COVID testing for students.
Community-Wide Equity Audit Launch RECAP
We want more voices! We will have another meeting in November based off the preferences of our group members - which can still include you. Please complete this form if you are interested.
What is the work? We are gathering to build community and ask ourselves how our schools can be more equitable? What can we do to increase access to challenging work? Ensure all students and all families feel like they belong? We'll have some whole-group time to build community and smaller group time to explore our data in order to develop recommendations for change.
Reading at Home Expectations
At Watkins, we increase the expectation with age:
Grade 1 – 15 minutes daily
Grade 2 – 20 minutes daily
Grades 3-5 – 30+ minutes daily
Caregivers - please partner with your children to support them and enjoy some reading time yourself!
Watkins Fall Scholastic Book Fair
- Date: October 29- November 9 (there will no book fair on days that school is closed)
- Time: 7:30am- 8:45am (parents will be allowed to come into the building and shop with their students)
- Students will have access to the Fair during one Specials class.
- Location: Library
- Payment Options: cash, credit and debit
- Book Fair Volunteers: sign-up link is in the flyer
Term 2 Specials Rotate!
Library - Amuzie, Sheppard, Moxley, Sullivan, Evans
Spanish - Davis, Josephs, Nover, Phoenix, Lamont
Art - Stewart, Coleman, O'Neil, Elmusa, Hoover
Music - Mooney, McPhail, Parler, Dickinson, Hightower
Library Access - 8:10 - 8:45
Grade 1 - Monday (8:10 - 8:45am)
Grade 2 - Tuesday (8:10 - 8:45am)
Grade 3 - Wednesday (8:10 - 8:45am)
Grade 4 - Thursday (8:10 - 8:45am)
Grade 5 - Friday (8:10 - 8:45am)
Once students arrive at school, they will proceed to the gym and request a library pass from an on-duty staff member. Once they have a pass, they can go to the library to select their book. We will maintain social distancing in the library; 25 students at a time will be permitted.
Any questions, please reach out to Ms. Jurkowski (Kimberlynn.Jurkowski@k12.dc.gov)
Watkins Culture Blueprint and Schoolwide Behavior Expectations
Principal Berkowitz and AP Boisvert will host an optional Watkins Culture Blueprint session on Friday, November 5 at 2:00pm. The meeting will be held on the Watkins Teams Channel.