Christmas in Italy
What is Christmas in Italy about?
- To honor the birth of Jesus
- Christians believe Jesus was born in Bethlehem
- Becoming a season of giving gifts and celebration
- Neapolitan cribs are also important to display on Christmas Eve
- Starts eight days before Christmas
- Eating big feasts on Christmas night
- Epiphany night when you give gifts
- Befana also brings the children presents
- Children go out carol singing and playing songs on shepherd pipes
- Italians go to the Midnight Mass
How do Italians celebrate this holiday?
- Go to churches after eating a feast
- Put cribs out on December 8th
- Nativity scene is displayed in the shape of a pyramid which can be meters tall
- Neapolitan s also have everyday objects (houses, waterfalls,food,animals and even figures of famous people and politicians!).
- "Feast Of The Seven Fishes"
- put stockings up by the fireplace
What foods are associated with this holiday?
- fish cooked in olive oil
- lots of dairy
- no meat
- light sea food meals
- fish types (salted Cod, clams,calamari,sardines and eel).
- nine dishes may be included not just seven
- Christmas cake called 'Panettone'
- cranberry almond shortbread bars
- sourdough bread
- puffed pizza bites
- dark chocolate panna cotta
- pumpkin applesauce muffins