an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Mother Goose On the Loose: BIG NEWS!
Mother Goose on the Loose is back! ... with a few changes. Registration is required and is limited to 5 adults with 1 to 2 children each. If you or a family member is sick or high risk, please refrain from participating.
Each family group will have a designated space and will be encouraged to stay together in that space. Adults, please wear a face covering. Children under the age of 5 are exempt from mask requirements.
If you can't make it in person, don't forget about our 4-part Mother Goose Online series available on YouTube.
Free Pumpkin Painting Kits
Pumpkin Painting To Go
Tuesday, Oct. 20th, 11am
525 Anderson Avenue
Coos Bay, OR
Kids through age 12, pick up your pumpkin painting kit to go! Kit includes one mini pumpkin, paints, and a brush. Registration required. Limit 3 per family. Available for pick-up October 20-23 during regular curbside hours.
Please share a photo of your finished project with us on Facebook or Instagram!
Fall Reading Program
"It is books that are the key to the wide world; if you can’t do anything else, read all that you can."
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: Go on a walk and collect colorful leaves. Talk about their colors and compare the leaves of different trees. Which leaf shapes match?
- Sing: You can sign the alphabet as you sing along to your child. Adding signs to the sounds helps build connections for future literacy.
- Read: Babies explore objects with their senses. Read aloud a picture book to your baby while they hold an object featured in the story - a ball, a wooden spoon, a hat, or a favorite stuffed animal.
- Write: Put those fine motor skills to use and decorate a pumpkin! Whether you carve them, paint them, or even decorate them with stickers, pumpkins make a great three-dimensional canvas.
- Play: Playing dress up as a favorite book character is a fun way to practice narrative skills. Join in the fun and reenact your child's favorite scenes with them!