The Weekly Update #7 9/11
September 18th, 2023
Weekly News (Week of September 11th)
Principal Nelson's Thoughts
We hit the ground running after a long weekend and had another successful week. As I spend time in the hallways and classrooms, I see kids that are having fun and learning, teachers delivering engaging lessons, and parents lending their support in the building. This is an equation for success and everyone's investment in students is what makes Sharon and this community so special. As 9/11 approaches I am reminded of the way we pulled together to overcome a difficult time. I am grateful for the unity that we have in our community and hope to create opportunities for us to continue growing closer. One way we try to do this is through our "Where in the World" segment on our morning news. I have met so many people at Sharon from different parts of Georgia, different US states, and many different countries. This segment allows us to learn more about everyone's traditions and culture. Whether you grew up on the beaches of Florida or the beaches of the Mediterranean, click here to share with us about your traditions and culture so that we can highlight where you are from on our news because helping our students learn more about one another makes us Sharon Strong.
Need to Know
- Picture day is on September the 19th. Be ready to pick out those snazzy outfits and help them practice their smiles!
- You must have your car rider hang tag in order to pick your student up after clubs. Please reach out to Kerrie Williams if you need a hang tag. You'll need to come in the building to verify your ID if you do not have your hang tag.
- Each year, Sharon Elementary partners with Safe Routes for Walk to School Day. Our first Walk to School Day is Thursday, September 14th. See more details below.
- If your child is home from school, they can still watch the Live Morning News! Have them log into Classlink and stay connected by clicking the "Sharon Morning News" button.
- All ice cream birthday orders must be placed in SchoolPay no later than 4pm on the Thursday before the week you would like to celebrate the birthday.
- Past newsletters are archived on our school website and can be found here
Need to do
- Please label your students Jackets, Sweatshirts, and Water bottles as we have numerous unclaimed items in our lost and found.
- Please check out our lost and found rack in the lobby for any clothing items you may be missing as we will be donating unclaimed items in the next two weeks.
- We need your help filling the yearbook! Please see the details below in the PTO updates for the requirements for uploading pictures to be used.
- Don't forget to add money to your child's school pay account if your child would like to purchase ice cream on Wednesdays or Fridays.
- Whether you are from Europe, Asia, Africa, New England, the Mid West, the West Coast, or the South. We would love to share your culture with our students and staff! Please fill out this form to give us some info about your culture to share on our live morning news during the "Where in the World segment."
- Check out the archived "Where in the World" segments here.
- Please check your child's MyPaymentsPlus account to ensure that they have sufficient lunch funds for the week.
Fall Family Portraits in the DIGS
For all Sharon parents & staff, NM Photography will be offering family sessions in the DIGS from 9/15 - 9/17. Sessions are $40 and include your choice of one image. Additional images can be purchased directly through NM Photography. Thanks to Nancy for continuing to support our school and offer her beautiful images to our families!
Time to Buy Your Yearbook!
Available at a discounted price through Saturday, 9/30. Order today before the price goes up! CLICK HERE to order
Order your 5th Grade Yearbook Dedication
Fifth Grade Parents are invited to create an Ad for their student in the yearbook. These dedications are a chance to remember your graduating 5th Grader in a special way.
If you have questions, you can find samples and more details HERE. Ready to order? CLICK HERE to place your order.
Upload Pictures - We Want Your Photos!
Please help us fill up the 23-24 Sharon yearbook with great photos!
1. Instructions: Download the "Yearbook Snap" app (made by Walsworth Publishing) to your phone.
2. Find your child's school: "Sharon Elementary". The passcode is "Knights".
3. Important note: On each photo upload, note what school event it was taken at (example: Robo knights, walk to school, 5th grade field trip, etc). If it is a general candid photo, please include the grade level (example: 2nd grade recess). Unfortunately, photos can usually not be placed in the yearbook without this note!
Upcoming PTO Dates
Family Portraits in the DIGS - 9/15-9/17
Spirit Night - 9/19 at Los Hermanos. Taco Tuesday!
Counseling and Castle Updates
- Here is your September Castle Herald Newsletter!
From the Counselors:
- We are excited to kick off our 7 Mindsets this month with our first Mindset, Everything is Possible! Here is a great video to watch with your family! Everything is Possible has 4 pillars or main ideas: Dream Big, Embrace Creativity, Think Positively and Act and Adjust. These pillars help motivate us and create success!
- Come and celebrate with us on 9/21/23 for our Mindset Night here at Sharon Elementary from 6-7:30 p.m. More details to come in next weeks newsletter.
- 13-PTO Board Meeting: Tower
- 14-Walk to School Day
- 15 National Tackle Kids Cancer Day (wear yellow)
- 19-PTO Spirit Night at Los Hermanos
- 19-Picture Day
- 20-Family Connect Night
- 21-Mindset Night
- 21-Grading window open
- 22 - LSC Meeting
- 22- Mini House Competition
Click to see our School Calendar for more dates throughout the year!
⭐ Shining Knights ⭐
Thank you Volunteers!
Thank you to our PreK teachers!
What a fun day! Shout out to our PreK teachers for organizing an event where our PreK students learned about the properties of water.