May 6, 2016
- If you are interested in helping the PTA next year send Mr. Mantz an email. We have spots still available on the board and would love fresh perspective on how PTA can serve the school and the community.
- Next week, all students in third and fourth grade will be taking the math and reading portions of the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR). The math assessment will be administered on Monday, May 9, and the reading assessment will be administered on Tuesday, May 10. Our campus will be CLOSED TO ALL PARENTS/VISITORS Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.
· Field Day Donations-For the rockets that the Boy Scouts make for field day, they have asked if Freedom Families could please donate duct tape and Saran Wrap. All Donations will be appreciated!
- End of the year testing- I-station End of the year testing window opens up May 1st. So beginning May 1st, your child will be taking the reading and math assessment via I-station. The scores they make on these assessments will be their final scores for kindergarten and the scores they take with them to first grade. Please talk to your child about doing their best, listening to the questions twice if they need to, choosing the best possible answer, and taking their time and not rushing through their assessment. Thank you for your extra encouragement this week!
· Mark your calendars! Kindergarten Graduation has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 31st at 1:30 PM in the school cafeteria.
· Kindergarten Round up is officially over but we are still registering new to Keller ISD Kindergarten and 1st graders. If you know of any friends or neighbors who will have a Kindergarten student or a 1st grade student who did not attend Keller ISD this year, please have them call the front office.
· School supply orders for the 2016-2017 school year will be taken through June 25th. See flyer for more details. FRE105 COLOR.pdf
· For information about Co-Curr Summer camp see fliers below:
· Next Friday’s Co-Curr rotation is: Thursday
May 9: STAAR Testing Closed Campus-NO visitors!
May 9: No Cube Club due to Testing!
May 9: Nurse Appreciation Week
May 10: STAAR Testing Closed Campus-NO visitors!
May 11: STAAR Make-up Testing-NO visitors!
May 14: Ms. Markham's Birthday!
May 16: Last Day of Cube Club
May 16: PTA Meeting and Choir Concert @ 5:30 PM
May 20: ALL Library Books Due
May 23: No Cube Club
May 24: Running Club Party
May 27: Field Day
May 30: No School
May 31st: Kindergarten Graduation at 1:30
June 2nd: Last Day of School-Early Release at Noon
What we are learning...
ELA/Phonics: We will continue to dive into Poetry and identify rhyming and rhythm in poetry. We will also begin to write short poems of our own. Click here for a fun and interactive way to write poems with your Kindergartner at home!
Readers Workshop: We will be reading various books on animals to help identify how they resemble their parents, body coverings, and what they do to help them survive within their environments.
Writer’s Workshop: We will be learning the revising step of the writing process. We will be reading our writing and going back to add more detail or sentences to make our writing stronger.
Science: Organisms and their environments: We will discuss how organisms resemble their parents and have structures and processes that help them survive within their environment.
Social Studies: We will begin our unit on Technology and media. The goal of this unit is for students to identify ways that technology can be used to benefit people and how might be different without modern technology.
Math: We will continue working on addition and composing numbers up to ten. Then, we will be diving into subtraction by the end of this week. See below what subtraction will look like in the classroom and how you can help at home!
Videos that Teach Subtraction
Click here to go watch a video that shows how to subtract with objects!
The Subtraction sign
Click here to watch a video that shows how to use the subtraction sign
click here to play a great subtraction game with your child!
*Class splits among other classes*